It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 11:55 am

Reply to topic  [ 7 posts ] 
 Question on battery location 
MMT Pro Member

Post Question on battery location
Just picked up a 16x56 "Go-devil" boat (original/round chine) to hang my 35 HD Sport MBuddy from. (I know, strange combo..both used). I see there is a little tray in the back for a battery. I was planning on running the battery and the gas tank up front under the fishing deck; but will the trouble of pulling the wire for the battery be worth it, or will it not make that much difference? I guess the cranking battery weighs about 30 or so lbs. It's not so much the trouble of pulling the wire, but all the acessory crap (lights, bildge etc) is run to the back as well. I'm now thinking that with the fishing deck, and gas tank, a trolling motor battery and cranking battery,that might add too much forward weight. What say yall?

Mon Jan 26, 2009 6:37 pm
MMT Elite Member

Post Re: Question on battery location
Thats why mine is in the back, not much weight savings. Plus I just run a smaller lawn tractor battery anyway. But you could just run a -/+ wire back from the front battery to a switch panel / - buse bar at the transom too.

"I do think there is a Squatch in these woods"!!!!!

Mon Jan 26, 2009 6:42 pm
MMT Pro Member

Yeah, that would work. Think I may just put it in the tray in the back and see how it performs. I doubt a cranki'n battery will make or break the performance. When I use my trolling motor, I'll for sure mount the trolling battery in the front, then it'd just be a wash as far as battery weight.

Mon Jan 26, 2009 7:43 pm
MMT Elite Member

Yeh, I have my TM battery up front for fishing. I hook up the second lawn tractor battery up front when hunting or playing. I have TM plugs on my HH lights and winch so I can use the front battery for those.

"I do think there is a Squatch in these woods"!!!!!

Mon Jan 26, 2009 7:50 pm
MMT Elite Member

I would try running it the way it is before moving stuff around. might be fine the way it is . But if you do end up putting the battery up front. just running the main cables to the back is all you'll have to do if you use 12 volt + and - junction blocks . then you can run your motor and accessories off of them. Something like this

http://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r116 ... ocks-1.jpg

http://www.wiringproducts.com/index1.ht ... GgodSyhjTw

Mon Jan 26, 2009 8:25 pm
MMT Addict

can you jus use regular battery cables and wires or is there a marine grade? If so where can u get it

Tue Jan 27, 2009 9:46 am
MMT Addict

If you have to buy the best deal I have found on marine grade is on the net at Best Boat Wire & Cable.

Tue Jan 27, 2009 10:29 am
Reply to topic   [ 7 posts ]