It is currently Tue May 14, 2024 10:34 pm

Reply to topic  [ 9 posts ] 
 Best Boat For 35 GTR? NEED HELP! 
MMT Member

Post Best Boat For 35 GTR? NEED HELP!
Here is my situation. I'm considering purchasing a new boat for my hunting needs. I now run a 16' Lowe Big Jon guessing x 54". I have a short transom 35 GTR. Not really anything wrong with it however would like to get it oput of the water a little more so i'm toying around w/ pods on this boat. I have however been speaking w/ boat dealers on something different to get the best performance out of my motor.

My priorities are as follows in order. Duck Hunting w/ 3 guys, decoys and a dog, Fishing Mississippi river in the Channel. I need a boat that handels well in big open water as well as one that drafts little water in the shallows. I hunt the river backwater that can be soft silty mud to soft silty sand to flooded timber. Looking to keep it around 17' and be able to have my trolling motor up front for fishing.

I hope this isn't alot to ask. All the dealers want to sell their boat so i'm looking for the best boat for what i do!!!!!! Remember i have a 2008 GTR short transom and a 25 HP short transom Mercury. would like to keep my short transom motors!!

Thanks, JIM

Wed Jan 28, 2009 9:14 am
MMT Pro Member

Post Re: Best Boat For 35 GTR? NEED HELP!
Where are you at? Casey St. Romain at Southern Fab in Morgan City LA builds a great mud motor boat. Also Charles Leonard in Belle River builds a nice boat. I have a skiff by him that is great. I'm going to have Casey build me a boat later this year also.

Wed Jan 28, 2009 11:13 am
MMT Member

I live in Iowa. I would like something kind of local.

Wed Jan 28, 2009 12:14 pm
MMT 1000 Club

I would recommend contacting Paul (muddoctor) at http://www.larrysillowamarine.com/

or Jim (Mudd) http://www.allmudmotors.com/

Between these two I'm fairly certain they could come up with a hull that will allow you to keep your short transom motors and still maintain performance.

Wed Jan 28, 2009 6:12 pm
MMT Elite Member

Be sure when buying the boat that use of the outboard does not void the boat warranty....

Gator Trax - will add extra stiffeners and guarantee their rig with the outboard...

As I have mostly seen them with the Mudd Buddy - I could not say how them might perform with the Gator... They are very nice folks to talk to - see their website - drop em a call...

But there are many here that speak well of Larry as suggested by MitchV...

Test drive whatever you choose...

PS - I think pods are great on a tunnel hull - but a poor choice on a mud boat - rear deck well now that is a good thing....

Good Luck...

"It is good to have an end to journey toward; but
it is the journey that matters, in the end."

Wed Jan 28, 2009 7:33 pm
MMT Addict

Chopper, check your PMs.

Sat Jan 31, 2009 9:53 am
MMT Pro Member

Well I guess I am a little partial, but I would have to recommend giving Paul at Larry's Marine/Illowa Prodrive a call.

I had a mud hull that was nice but did not fit my needs and sold it. I called Cuttdown and he and Paul accomodated my every wish. The Phowler Extreme line of boats are great. I went with an 1848 with a pointed bow, tall sides, and flotation. The boat has a flat smooth bottom with no runners. It handles rough water great and goes very shallow. I have a tall transom but I know they can build you one with a short transom so you can run your existing motors. Phowler warranty will not be voided if you run an outboard. There is a lifetime warranty on welds and transom according to their website. Best of all they are close to you so you can demo before you buy. Good luck.

Sat Jan 31, 2009 10:34 am
MMT Member

i second that. paul at illowa knows his business, they are great people to deal with, and can build you anything you want. i went with an 1860 extreme and 36 pdfpr, and would not go back to anything else be it fishing or duck hunting. they are also more than willing to demo the setup so you can see for yourself. good luck

Sat Jan 31, 2009 1:59 pm
MMT Member

Thanks guys, i've been talking w/ paul lately and he seems like a great guy! I think i might try a test drive this spring and see what he has to offer!! Chopper

Sat Jan 31, 2009 8:29 pm
Reply to topic   [ 9 posts ]