It is currently Wed Apr 17, 2024 10:23 pm

Reply to topic  [ 9 posts ] 
 LED nav light? 
MMT Member

Post LED nav light?
I was wonderin if a man could put a strip (or 2) of 12" white led on the top of the motor for a nav light and get away with it. I have the LED strips on the front, so Im trying to get away from the pole light in the rear.... On a side note,, got my prop tunnel dialed in. crossed a weir dam with about 3" of water running over it :shock:

Wed May 31, 2017 12:15 pm
MMT Addict

Post Re: LED nav light?
Legally no. The light at the rear must be visible from 360* . Also those led strips on the front are not legal either because they are not certified and can be misplaced. Most of the shark eye led lights are not legal either if mounted in the side of the hull. Will anybody bother you about any of this? Maybe not, but if you catch the right GW or coast guard officer in the right mood you'll get a fine thats bigger than the cost of the right stuff. Something to think about

Wed May 31, 2017 12:35 pm
MMT Addict

I use a 360 light that would go on a wakeboard tower on mine. Sits on top of the motor at the highest point.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wed May 31, 2017 12:45 pm
MMT Member

thanks for the replies. my engine sets up pretty high so the 360 degree thang would be no problem, could see the LED's better than that crappy pole light anyway... guess Im gonna go ahead and do it. Hell, if the front aint right either I might as well go all the way. How can they sell the LED "navigation" lights and promote them as "navigation" lights if their not legal eigther?

Wed May 31, 2017 12:55 pm
MMT 1000 Club

The shark eyes on the front have to be visible in a specific cone to be legal, and both the front and rear nav lights have to be visible at 2 miles. Led strips don't have the reflector to limit the angle of visibility on the front, and don't necessarily have the correct output to be visible at 2 miles on the front or rear. Some will be legal, some won't.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Wed May 31, 2017 1:04 pm
MMT Super Elite Member

Wed May 31, 2017 1:14 pm
MMT Member

I can guarantee that the LED's are brighter than the green/red light I was using. If you cant see them from 5 miles away you might need to get yer eyes checked. I was thinkin about using one of those 360 lights, but Im afraid it would get tore off... my phone didnt get a good color, but I can assure you that there is a distinctive green and red. The engine is the tallest part on the boat , so thats why I was thinkin that I could just put a LED strip down the center or something.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Wed May 31, 2017 1:54 pm
MMT Addict

The thing about the led's is that most arent actually certified. Yeah theyre better but still not technically legal. Fwiw i just bought some of the strip lights for my duck skiff. Probably never see navigable water at night though.

Wed May 31, 2017 2:07 pm
MMT Member

Wed May 31, 2017 2:16 pm
Reply to topic   [ 9 posts ]