It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 4:56 am

Reply to topic  [ 5 posts ] 
 Paint problem? 
MMT Addict

Post Paint problem?
I had a post about painting the boat last week. Everything went pretty good. I vingar and acetone wipe, scuff, self etch, Duralux aluminum boat green (paint/primer), and then Duralux dead grass green.

I sprayed the Aluminum boat green within an hour of spraying the self etch. I wasn't able to spray the dead grass green the same day, but had to wait until the following day. The aluminum boat green had dried well and was quite hard. I scuffed it up and wiped it with acetone to prep for the Dead grass green.

I sprayed the dead grass green. Indoors, under fluorescent lighting and out of the sunlight. On my compressor, I have my regulator mounted on the compressor. I have a filter and dryer mounted on the wall, that I plug into the compressor with a 3 foot whip. I'm using a 50ft hose. I also have an inline water filter mounted directly at my spray gun.

The problem: The dead grass green (1 week later) still feels soft and scratches really easily. Any ideas on what's wrong or how to fix it? It's finish feels nothing like the aluminum boat green or dead grass green I've used in the past. I spent a lot of time blasting and sanding this thing.

What's the deal?

Note: Did not thin any of the products - all sprayed straight out the can.

Sat Jun 24, 2017 6:17 am
MMT Addict

Post Re: Paint problem?
Here is another forum I found where someone has the same problem. There is a photo, that looks exactly like mine does when I scratch it. I't not really separating from the coat below (aluminum boat green), but almost separating from itself. Does it just need more curing time?

https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopi ... =3&t=37605

Edit: Some more internet searching shows this is "normal" and the cure time could take longer. I'll leave it out in the sun some more. Sounds like moisture may be "trapped"? Will it ever harden? Sprayed on a sunny (mid day). No rain, and it hadn't rained in a few days. It has rained since, but the boat has been under cover.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Sat Jun 24, 2017 6:27 am
MMT Sponsor

I would say sun bake it for a week. Thats a thick paint and anytime you do multiple rounds of thick paint i would be worried about problems. I sprayed mine with one coat of etch followed by 2 coats of dead grass duralux. I thinned my paint down just a little and let the first coat vent before hitting the second. Mine came out great. Yours is probably too thick. Cook it and run it :D

Sat Jun 24, 2017 11:42 am
MMT Pro Member

Yeah mine took at least a week or more to fully cure

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sat Jun 24, 2017 1:53 pm
MMT Sponsor

not cured enough and the clear would help a lot, like Will C stated,the sun is the place to put it

gatorheads@comcast.net

Sun Jun 25, 2017 4:14 am
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 5 posts ]