It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 9:48 am

Reply to topic  [ 6 posts ] 
 Whole Boat Storage Cover 
MMT Member

Post Whole Boat Storage Cover
What are you guys using for a whole boat cover? I bought a universal fit cover from Acdemy a year ago. It was large enough to cover the engine too, but it was too wide to pull tight to shed water. I even used a pole to tent it put from the front seat to the engine. Still too wide to pull tight. Anyone find a cover that works? I've got a Go Devil 16-60

Mon Jul 31, 2017 8:16 pm
MMT Pro Member

Post Re: Whole Boat Storage Cover
I'm using a WalMart 12'x24' cheap $35 tarp. Lasts maybe a year. I stretch that over a ridge pole. I started with 1"x4" x24" pine square base. The 1x4's being doubled at 90 degrees. Then used a galvanized "floor flange" for 1/2" pipe screwed into the center of the wood base. Came up vertical from there with 4' of 1/2" galvanized pipe to a 1/2" T, then 4' of pipe out of both ends of the T. Put a 1/2" union on one end of the horizontal pipe to connect it to another set-up exactly the same. This gives you 2 "T"'s on bases 8' apart connected together by the union. I put 1/2" pipe elbows on the far ends to keep the tarp from rubbing on the sharp ends of the pipe. Also wrapped a rag around the union to prevent rubbing. The length of the ridgepole is 16'. Using a 24' long tarp it covers my motor and winch post. Using both grab handles helps keep the tarp from bellying. I use ropes and bungees under the trailer to hold it down. I can move it around a little without taking the tarp off. If I could find a decent priced truck tarp 12'x24' I would be happier.

Tue Aug 01, 2017 7:16 pm
MMT 1000 Club

Bought an 18x20 metal carport from some roadside place that sells Bs like that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tue Aug 01, 2017 8:23 pm
MMT 1000 Club

Use pvc and a tarp. Put each end against opposite gunnels. Should make a bow up above the boat. Tie a piece of 550 cord on the front of your boat, then a half hitch on each bow in the middle. This keeps them upright. Then tie at the back of the boat. Spread a tarp over it. Bungees to hold the tarp down in the wind.

Another way is to make a frame out if pvc that fits the width of the boat, and has T fittings along each side, and 90deg 4 way in the middle for ridge pole and supports.

Use the Google search "using tarp and off to cover boat" for some various images.

#CFFITR
#TheGhostBoat
#whoneedsphysicsihaveamudmotor

Wed Aug 02, 2017 6:22 am
MMT Member

Was hoping someone had found a cover that actually fit well. I'll exchange the cheap one I got from Academy for a new one (3 year warranty, sun deteriorated in a year to the point it has several tears in it) and go ahead and build a pvc "tent."

Wed Aug 02, 2017 7:25 pm
MMT Member

Cabelas sells a job boat cover, not sure if it would be an improvement

Sat Aug 05, 2017 6:22 am
Reply to topic   [ 6 posts ]