It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 2:29 pm

Reply to topic  [ 6 posts ] 
 Porpoise fix 
MMT Elite Member

Post Porpoise fix
Is there an advantage to using wedges vs just running a weld bead to fix the issue? I'm gonna have to do one of the other. My bow is riding just a bit higher than I'd like and it tries to porpoise at around 3600-3700. Tank is in the front.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sat Aug 12, 2017 4:39 pm
MMT 1000 Club

Post Re: Porpoise fix
I had good results with a bead across the bottom at the transom on other boats.
I've also gotten lucky and do not porpoise at all on my current boat. this boat does not have anything under it helping.

My boat is only a 16x44 and it likes all the weight in the back.

Sat Aug 12, 2017 4:45 pm
MMT Elite Member

This an 1850. But the way I built my transom the motor is actually mounted about a 1/2" high. That may be the reason for my issue. Not sure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sat Aug 12, 2017 4:59 pm
MMT 1000 Club

Seems like that would make it not hop.
But, these things are finicky.
I'm no expert on transom matching....

Sat Aug 12, 2017 5:06 pm
MMT 1000 Club

Shift more weight to the rear when you're running. Porpoising is actually not caused by too much weight in the rear and needing a wedge to drop the bow. It happens when your boat pitches forward because of the lift at the rear, then the boat slows because of the loss in lift and increase in friction, making it drop at the rear again, lather rinse repeat. Dropping the bow while running using the wedge/weld can help, but having more weight to the rear to keep the stern as your main point of lift is countering the actual issue that's occurring. Getting the rake adjusted in your prop can drop the bow as well. Ultimately, the balance point front to rear of your boat is in the wrong spot. Putting more weight up front can have the same end result, but is shifting the balance point forward. Youll have better (may not be very noticeable or may be night and day) performance with the weight added rear as your hull will be at a better angle to create lift, instead of the water passing under easier. Ill admit im splitting hairs (the difference isnt huge) but run shallow water, hard bottom, and 10 feet can mean planing out or dragging a boat lol

That being said, every one of these setups are different, and you may benefit from the weight forward more than i did. Im also going to add 2 8" beads at the rear of mine, but for a different reason.

#CFFITR
#TheGhostBoat
#whoneedsphysicsihaveamudmotor

Sat Aug 12, 2017 5:18 pm
MMT Sponsor

My boat has the small go devil style notchback on it. I welded in 1 1/2 inch of trim tab to it. Works great. Just a little tweak up or down really shows how it rides and solved my bounce

Sun Aug 13, 2017 10:42 am
Reply to topic   [ 6 posts ]