It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:24 am

Reply to topic  [ 4 posts ] 
 LT on a v hull  
MMT Member

Post LT on a v hull
I'm in the process of building the mad mud motor plans with a 6.5 horse Honda gx 200. I've tossed around the idea of building a small glass boat like the hybrid duck boats. If I could save the money on the boat build and put it towards decoys that would be awesome.

I have a 14 foot alumicraft tin boat that's semi v. Super light weight boat.

First question I have is how will that 6.5 push the boat? I have a 9.9 outboard on it now and it goes 21mph gps. Bare bones just me. Fishing gear the dog wife and kid I get about 11-13

2nd I have is how will the v hull react with the long tail? I know there's a reason that 99.999999% of mud boats are on flat bottoms just don't know the reason why.

Also must be noted this won't be a true "mud boat" most my areas are 1.5-3 foot deep. I've ran it all with the outboard but it is VERY weedy. With the outboard I'm stopping every 20 yards to pull weeds. So I won't be pushing it thru mud and muck like most guys gust need to get thru the duck weed

Thanks

Colton

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sun Sep 17, 2017 11:36 pm
MMT 1000 Club

Post Re: LT on a v hull
It'll push you through those weeds better than an outboard for sure.

They run better on a flat bottom boat because of where the prop runs in relation to the bottom.

I'd expect between 10-14 mph out of that set up when you are empty. It'll get you where you are going, it'll just be slow. I would save your money on building another boat. It won't gain you that much performance with that small motor.

Just allow yourself plenty of time to get where you are going and enjoy not pulling weeds constantly.

Mon Sep 18, 2017 6:11 am
MMT F.E.

I ran nearly the same hull with a 23 hp LT for about a year once. I ran mid to upper teens with two guys and a fishing load. I swapped hulls with another guy for a flat bottom and didn't see major difference in open water speeds, but there was a significant difference when I got into vegetation.

Try and swap to a flat bottom if you can

Mon Sep 18, 2017 9:23 am
MMT 1000 Club

It will move you but definitely not optimal. If you are looking to just get from point A to B and not worried how long it will take, its a perfect set up.

BPS Swamp Staff Member
Blackwater Marine LLC.

Quote classic by rangerp: "Red seemed to be enjoying herself, and I assume by the look on her face was about to hit the high-note and throw a locate as she treed the possum."

Mon Sep 18, 2017 9:31 am
Reply to topic   [ 4 posts ]