It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:26 am

Reply to topic  [ 20 posts ] 
 Need new Rig! 
MMT Member

Post Need new Rig!
Ok guys, I have a problem. I haven't even finished out the season in my latest boat but already know I want/need something else. I'm always in the market for a new boat :D and I'm tired of going 5 mph with my outboard to navigate through the stumps where I like to hunt. I will try and lay out all of my criteria for you and some thoughts of my own. Looking for some good feedback from everyone on here to help make an informed purchase. I'm not too concerned about motor at this point. I've read enough on here to know what size pushes what boat and to know everyone's opinions. But since I've said I will lay out all the info I'm looking pushing whatever I get with a stock 35hp for now but may add carb/exhaust later down the road. Speed is not my number one priority (22-24 mph loaded is fine with me.) I know I want in the 18' overall length. On the average day I will have me (175 lbs.) and another guy (200 lbs.) and a pooch (60 lbs.) plus all the usually gear. Occasionally may hunt a 3rd (another 200 lbs.). I have a friend that is pushin 400 lbs. but he is only allowed on the big boat. Fat guys and small boats just don't mix well. I know I want something in the 50+ width range to carry a load. I also want something that can take on 2'-3' chop if I absolutely have to but not really that interested in a hybrid rake. I also want an open concept floor plan. I need a boat I can throw a bunch of shit in and go, also trying to keep it as light as possible. I don't want it to be an absolute dog in the water. I'm pretty sure I want a rounded chine to roll off of obstructions easy and corner better. I'm kinda torn on the idea of a huntdeck though. I have read a lot of mixed opinions on here about them. People that have them love them and others don't really care for them. I have been looking at the 17x50 GT w/huntdeck or even possibly an 18x50 GT with no huntdeck. I believe the 18x50 would be a tad lighter as it's 8" shorter overall. Also looked at a 18x56 GD because it's cheap! Not a real big fan of all the wasted space inside though that MUST be there when you drive it off the lot. What you do with it when you get it home is your own decision. May also look at a custom job like WC or something. Anyone run at 17x50 GT or 17x54 GT w/ huntdeck, open floor plan with a 35? How do you like it? Just want some general input if i'm going in the right direction. Really torn on the huntdeck or no hundeck as well. Thanks!

Fri Dec 15, 2017 2:36 pm
MMT 1000 Club

Post Re: Need new Rig!
with your description,
Anywhere from a 19x60 to an 18x54 and everything in between sounds like it would work for you.

Stage 1- stage 2 mods and you'll be happy.
If you run stumps, go with 3/16" bottom and roll.
And if you go with a motor with reverse, I think the hunt deck would be nice.

Fri Dec 15, 2017 3:38 pm
MMT Pro Member

Considered custom? Side console? The nicest thing about a hunt deck is climbing in and out of the boat.

Fri Dec 15, 2017 8:50 pm
MMT 1000 Club

I have a 1754 Gator Trax with hybrid front and hunt deck (18'8" OAL and they only measure the width from where the rounded chine starts so it's more like a 54"). I have a pure stock GTR35 and I hunt with the same loads as what you're describing and get about those speeds. If it's really stumpy a 3/16" bottom would be better than the .125" one I have (though I have the Outboard package which they decrease the sapcing between stringers).

Sat Dec 16, 2017 11:05 am
MMT Member

Thanks for all the input. I still have a while before my purchase but I believe I'm leaning towards a GT 18x50 or 18x54 - 21" sides without a huntdeck. Pretty similar to the one in the picture minus the huntdeck and poling platform. I really do love the idea of a huntdeck but it's one of those common boat issues "give and take". I'm trying to cut weight everywhere I can. I think the only benefit that I can see of it, is using it to get back in the boat but I try not to get out if the boat if the water is over waist deep anyways. I also have zero issues with hunting a dog out of the boat. I was seriously considering the GD 18x56 solely due to the tempting price point but have realized that to get the boat the way I would want it I would have to put in so much time, effort, money that it would probably cost me the same as the GT boat. Not to mention that I'm getting to the point in my life where I'd rather just pay a little more up front for what I want then to have a project boat that never seems to get finished by the time I need to use it. What are your opinions on the 50" vs. the 54" bottom, mainly concerned about space. I'm pretty sure the 50" would be a hair faster but willing to sacrifice that 1-2 mph for the leg room and space. I think I need to just go climb around on a 50" hull to see how I like the space. Another concern that I have is whenever you search GT boats that there are so many out there for sale... :( Are people just throwing in the towel on the greatest sport on earth or are they hard up for money or do they just not like them? I'm hoping it's not the latter. I'm also open to a custom job such as a WC or Uncle J. Anyone have one of these? Pricewise how do they compare with the GT boats? Appreciate all the feedback.
1854hd1best.jpg

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Sat Dec 16, 2017 4:11 pm
MMT Addict

If you get a motor with reverse I highly recommend a huntdeck.

My boat is an Alumitech 1860 with 24inch sides and huntdecks. It has the stepped chine with a 48 inch running surface.

With current 2 blade prop, carb, cam, heads it will haul 2 men and a huntload at @31mph. Unloaded with 2 people and 3 blade prop I have seen 34.6mph. My buddies love the 60 inch wide open floor plan.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Sun Dec 17, 2017 8:13 am
MMT 1000 Club

Sun Dec 17, 2017 12:02 pm
MMT Member

I just picked up my new 18x54 Uncle J's Friday. It's an awesome boat. Very stable and plenty fast for me. Had 4 big guys 240-250lbers and ice chest full of cold ones and ran 29mph. I went with pro drive level 3 from Franklin Small Engines, like it so far.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sun Dec 17, 2017 1:20 pm
MMT Member

Anyone know much about stump jumper?

Sun Dec 17, 2017 1:26 pm
MMT Member

Hey G.I. that Uncle J's is a sweet rig. 29 is awesome with 4 guys. I would love to have something like that but i'm on somewhat of a budget and don't feel like I need anything real fancy. Just a simple layout I can get to where I need to go. It will be used strictly for duck hunting, which I don't get to do as much as I want so dropping 20k on a new rig just doesn't make sense. Not that I don't want to, it's just the wifey knows about how much stuff costs so I have to kinda piece this build together a little at a time...lol. Thanks for the input though. I may give Uncle J's a call soon and see what they can do for me on a very very basic 18x50 hull.

Sun Dec 17, 2017 6:04 pm
MMT Addict

Uncle J had great pricing. I debated between the Uncle J and the Alumitech. Uncle J is about 12 hours away and Alumitech is only 1.5.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Sun Dec 17, 2017 6:43 pm
MMT Pro Member

G.I. Hope you do a full review on that, can you post pics with the front hatches open?

Mon Dec 18, 2017 7:05 am
MMT Member

I will get some pics today. The larger hatches is shallow call it a gun box. Probably use it more for fishing gear than any thing. Really like the expanded metal storage, just drop your items in there. No opening a door or stuff sliding around on floor.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wed Dec 20, 2017 9:37 am
MMT Addict

My boat meets what you're looking for. I love it. I've got it figured out now and it performs well for me with a Stock motor (3 hunters & gear). Take a look: viewtopic.php?f=5&t=34663&hilit=cornhusker&start=0

I do put a 60hp outboard on there sometimes, but most of the time the bone stock 35GTR is on it.

I don't have a hunt deck, as they make zero sense to me. I have reverse and use it a lot, and the performance is good. They seem like wasted space. Plus I hate the way they look.

Wed Dec 20, 2017 10:42 am
MMT Member

Hey KJH, looks like a sweet rig, that is pretty much what I'm after. No doubt that there are many custom fab shops rolling out great hulls. I'm trying to get in touch with some of them as we speak. I'm probably asking for too much here, i just want the lightest 18x50ish, 0.125" round chine hull for the best price...lol. Who do you think would be the best source for that?

Wed Dec 20, 2017 2:05 pm
MMT Addict

I'm no expert on who to have make a boat... I used Brother Breaux (B&B Fab) and it was a good move. I've had a Polarkraft, Gator Trax, Excel, and Gator Trax (again) before this boat. All with the same motor. None of them performed worth a shit. Average at best. This boat works much better and I've figured it out, so I get good performance with the bowfishing platform, blind, or fishing setups.

I don't have any problems sliding in high speed turns and I don't have a round chine.

Wed Dec 20, 2017 3:00 pm
MMT Member

Thanks for your insight. So if I can ask, what personally didn't you like about your 2 gator trax boats. I know the majority of owners love them and they seem like very well built boats. I have actually had one priced out they way I wanted. I just have this lingering suspicion that it's going to be a barge. As you can see from my profile pic i already have one barge, dont want another...I feel like a 18x50 trax boat will be a dog in the water unless I strap at least 44 hp on the transom.

Wed Dec 20, 2017 3:22 pm
MMT Addict

Gator Trax builds one hell of a boat... The problem is its one hell of a boat. It was so heavy that a stock 35 didn't work for shit. They build them to last, but it adds too much weight to work... that's my experience. They have really quality stuff, but its heavy. Just way too heavy... a barge. If I was going to get a factory built boat and put an outboard on it, I'd get another Gator Trax. I'm pro Gator Trax, just not with a surface drive.

It was actually one Gator trax boat... just used it twice and did some "surgery" to lighten it up the second time. Still didn't change the performance.

Maybe if you want a super modded motor it would be awesome, but I didn't want something that was all doctored up.

In the end a custom boat was cheaper and I got exactly what I wanted. That would be the route I would go if I were you. But I'm not you. Good luck.

Wed Dec 20, 2017 3:42 pm
MMT Member

I will most likely go the custom route. And maybe I'm just being unreasonable thinking that I can push an 18x50 with 3 guys and hunting load with a stock 35 over 20mph.. :(

Wed Dec 20, 2017 4:08 pm
MMT Addict

You're not being unreasonable to think over 20mph. Just don't expect the super speeds everyone here claims they get.

For my boat, it will get easy 25mph out of a hunting load with the stock 35. It took lots of practice to figure out.... I just have to move the pin to the top setting and keep the majority of the load (people & dog) between 6 and 9 ft from the transom. All the fuel and the batteries have to be in the back by the transom. My boat doesn't like a lot of weight way up front... just a little, like a few bags of decoys. Once I figured this out and bent the transom tabs down its a solid performer. Planes well like this regardless of the load.

I also swap out to a heavy cupped 11" prop during hunting season when I have a big, heavy load. The three blade prop absolutely sucks for me because I don't have enough power to turn it fast enough. Turning a 11" 2 blade at higher RPMs was a big part of the equation for me.

The only time it didn't pane was when I took out a 7 person USFWS film crew last summer. With all 8 of us and a lot of camera gear it was a dog, but I didn't put my hunting load prop on it. We also couldn't get the weight in the right places.

I wish someone would make a high enough horsepower motor from the factory to perform really well. I just don't think any of the manufacturers do. Or at least I don't belive them... They don't test with a heavy load or something...

Wed Dec 20, 2017 4:35 pm
Reply to topic   [ 20 posts ]