It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:17 pm

Reply to topic  [ 18 posts ] 
 Have motor need the right boat 
MMT Member

Post Have motor need the right boat
I'm not a smart man. Figured I'd start with that and hopefully leave it there rather than tell y'all how I ended up in my current predicament.
I have a mud buddy 37efi sport V swinging from a squat rack in my garage. I've been on this and many forums looking for the best hull match for this motor. I've been in contact with phowler and gator trax and designed set ups for what I thought was the best match. I was recently made aware of prodigy as being a top notch builder as well. I hunt the Great Lakes twice a year and spend the rest of my time down south on rivers, lakes and sloughs. No real mud scenarios but plenty of abuse that would ruin the lower unit on a typical outboard- or at least a 40h Johnson!
Any feedback is much appreciated.

Fri Dec 22, 2017 11:17 am
MMT F.E.

Post Re: Have motor need the right boat
Your best bet is to sell the sport V and get a gatortail or prodrive set up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Fri Dec 22, 2017 12:00 pm
MMT Member

That's not the first time I've heard that. Don't want to take a huge loss on sport v. It's still pretty new- 6 hours maybe.

Fri Dec 22, 2017 12:13 pm
MMT 1000 Club

There is a few sponsors on this site you could call also. Have a solid idea on what you want/expect and see what they can do for you.

Fri Dec 22, 2017 2:04 pm
MMT Addict

That sport V will push about anything you hang it on. For the waters you are planning on running a lite weight conventional Jon boat would work. Like a 1648-1848 Alumacraft, Lowe.

Fri Dec 22, 2017 2:33 pm
MMT Member

Looking at a 17 or 1854 size range. Had a 1754 war eagle that was just about right- could have used some more space on occasion. Usually hunt with 3 guys, a dog and 3 dozen decoys. Only fish with 2. Again not the brightest guy so tried mounting the sport v on the war eagle. Wouldn't get up on plane with 3 guys no matter what. Believe it was a cavitation issue.

I'll check into the sponsors and thanks for the sport v input, I dont want to end up in the same situation where the engine won't push the boat. Kind of doing it bass-ackwards I know.

Fri Dec 22, 2017 11:19 pm
MMT Addict

That load is a lot to ask from a 35 HP motor, on that heavy of boat. Some mods and a prop change may be in order to the motor to get you where you want to be. My 45 MB will plane out with 5 people, but my bare boat only weighs 300#. Its a 8 yr old Alumacraft 1648 riveted Jon.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Sat Dec 23, 2017 6:09 am
MMT Member

Denny if I could go back in time before the sport v, war eagle, and countless other stupid decisions I would go with a set up similar to yours. Heck I might even have enough scratch left over for some of those new fangled breathable waders everyone's talking about.
What steers me away from a smaller boat is that the sport v is heavy- 300+ lbs. and it's not uncommon for weather to roll in unexpected on some of the bigger lakes I hunt/fish on. I'm weighing safety over speed. Again, pretty sure the 1754 WE was a cavitation issue and not so much a horse power issue. That thing would get up and fly with a 40hp Johnson. Wouldn't even get on plane with the MB sport v. Love a smaller boat for rivers, sloughs, and timber of TN and MO but need it to perform on bigger water as well.
The folks at gator trax were saying a 1754 should do the trick. I'm asking the professionals (y'all) for feedback since I thought I had it figured out the first time and clearly did not.

Sat Dec 23, 2017 12:48 pm
MMT Pro Member

For boat size a 18x50 or 1854 will carry a load better than the narrower hulls as far as the sport v goes they are all powered by a POS briggs so mods will be needed unless yall are 100lbs each.Gator Trax builds a nice boat but there are other builders also UncleJ,Prodigy,Timber Creek, and a host of others to me chine design is the most important and everybody has a opinion(about like mud motor brand)you should go to South La. and test drive a few different hulls.A round chine handles like a indy car but a little slower the square chine slides bad but is faster,extreme crimp is supposed to be in between those two(don't have personal experience with extreme crimp but new boat will be done in Feb.and ill let you know)also there is the tapered chines which I haven't driven so maybe someone else will chime in to give you a opinion on those.Good luck on your purchase and hope you get to ride in a few before you buy,if you are near Houston and I am off you can test drive a GatorTrax,UncleJ square chine,or UncleJ extreme crimp after Feb.

Sat Dec 23, 2017 6:36 pm
MMT Member

Awesome feedback. The chine thing was something I was concerned about so appreciate the advice. I'm a little leery of a square chine. First and foremost would be my inability to control it. I haven't been in any true mud situations yet. I think if I were I'd give the square some more consideration due to the better/shallower drafting abilitiy (so I've heard). I'd be interested to hear y'alls preferences between square, extreme crimped, and tapered chines. Again, want to make sure the 37efi will push the boat, 3-4 no-neckers and a load down the lake safely.
Looked at uncle J, prodigy, willett customs, and timber creek. All have really sweet setups. Getting out and seeing/ test riding in some of these would be optimal. Unfortunately I'm deployed until spring so hoping to get this thing ordered while I'm gone and pick it up when I get back. So I'll call around and figure it out- after hearing from y'all of course.
Merry Christmas

Mon Dec 25, 2017 2:11 am
MMT 1000 Club

A tapered chine will still slide, but not quite as bad as a square chine hull. A lot of mud hulls use this configuration. Round chine as mentioned will flat out carve as the boat has a tendency to roll into the turn easier, speed loss in negligible but the ability to roll off stumps or move the hull sideways in vegetation is a plus over the square chine.

Mon Dec 25, 2017 12:14 pm
MMT Member

Yeah I'm thinking round primary and tapered if the price is right. Heck square if the price is right. Speaking of....

Is 13.5k a decent price for a new 1754? That's complete with blind, huntdeck, v rake, gunbox, trailer, cammo, and a few other extras.

Thu Dec 28, 2017 11:22 am
MMT 1000 Club

Thu Dec 28, 2017 11:33 am
MMT F.E.

Fri Dec 29, 2017 9:24 am
MMT Member

Ok, I have quotes from 3 well known boat makers- one on the expensive side and two about the same. All have stellar reviews on this site and all are fantastic to deal with which doesn't make my choosing any easier.

Any recommendations on trailer brands/types? I also have the ability to run a center consol vs a tiller. Anyone see a huge advantage to having a consol? I have limited experience running a tiller so just wondering.

Wed Jan 24, 2018 8:14 am
MMT Member

I second what everyone else says about square chine. Practice driving it and it ain't bad and you can get the boat to turn. I actually had a ton of fun learning how to drive my 2060 square chine J boat. If its a glass lake I like to kick it sideways just for fun. Nothing like skipping that long bastard sideways at 25-30 mph on a warm Sunday afternoon! As far as tiller vs console it depends on what you want and the size of your boat. Consoles can take up a lot of space, particularly in a smaller boat. But if you are making long runs a lot, the console can be pretty comfortable. Your arms won't be pumping from prop torque when your boat load is not balanced and you'll be drier compared to a tiller. Tillers are nice in the space it opens up in the boat, the tight turning radius at slow speed. I think gives more immediate throttle response if using a twist throttle or brake handle type of throttle. This is handy in a square chine where throttle control is crucial in getting the boat to turn.

Thu Jan 25, 2018 3:14 pm
MMT Member

You must've been pulling some G's in that 2060! Thinking the same thing. Space was always at a premium in my last rig. Thanks for the square chine reccomendation. Between you and the others I've determined I might be a bit of a duck boat sally. So tiller, open floor and a square chine(ish) it is.

Fri Jan 26, 2018 11:22 am
MMT Member

Pulled the trigger on a1854 prodigy w/24” sides. Converted the remote steer to tiller and hung the 37efi sport v on it. Hit KY lake this past weekend. 27.2 max mph with me & the dog. Was expecting less given the size of the boat and expecting way less with 2 more guys and equipment this season. I don’t care as long as she gets on step. Anyway, the boat is real nice. Going to post a review after a few more runs. Thanks for all the advice.

Tue Jul 31, 2018 6:24 pm
Reply to topic   [ 18 posts ]