It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:59 am

Reply to topic  [ 9 posts ] 
 Beavertail Otter Stealth 2000 - Sneak boat MM match up 
MMT Pro Member

Post Beavertail Otter Stealth 2000 - Sneak boat MM match up
Whats up MMT! Been a couple years since I've been logged in, used to frequent more regularly moved up west to Colorado and sold my rig. Moving to Salt Lake in July getting back in the game.

Pretty set on going with the Otter Stealth (12'x22), I like that its not aluminum. I want something river friendly/semi white water friendly (potentially class I & II no bigger). Having it setup where it could be easily stowed and not in the way at times is gonna be a plus.

Stainless steel prop & solid lower unit, rocks wont be out of the equation. I like the 7 hp copperhead SD & the predator 6.5 long tail. (don't like the mud skipper kits). Thoughts on Backwater swomp lite, Mudbuddy 7 hp LT, Go devil 6.5 LT? Let me know if im missing any... need the lightest setup possible

I like a surface drive for top end but not sure whats gonna take the most transom work. Also had a thought of just buying a frame kit and mounting a 2 stroke ripper on it :lol: Dnt wanna lose low end torque though. Lots of ideas obviously just wanna narrow down the best.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Mon May 14, 2018 10:47 am
MMT Member

Post Re: Beavertail Otter Stealth 2000 - Sneak boat MM match up
I had a 1200 with a twister and it absolutely sucked. I ended up making my own mount that uses the handle and rear lip of the back storage area. You definitely want to go light as possible and as long as possible with a longtail. My failed mag was the twister wanted to raise the front which then would bury the back instead of just pushing it along. If it was me, doing the mobile boat, I would end up with a four rivers boat that was meant to handle a motor and just put gatorglide on it for the rocks.

Thu May 17, 2018 6:35 am
MMT 1000 Club

If you arnt stuck on a longtail, get you a little copperhead surface drive bro. They don't weigh much at all, you will get better speeds, and it won't beat you up as much. That's what I would do with that little boat.

Thu May 17, 2018 6:43 am
MMT Member

With a surface drive you will bury the back of the boat, I had the twister and it would dig so hard that you couldn’t get the motor back out of the water without running into a sand bar, when I finally got it setup to where it wouldn’t do that it wouldn’t grab enough to go. I put my brother up front and then the problem was when you pulled the motor out the wake behind you would end up torpedoing the front of the boat into the water, not fun for my brother but atleast entertaining.

Thu May 17, 2018 6:54 am
MMT 1000 Club

In that case, get you a little backwater or go devil and scoot around :)

Thu May 17, 2018 10:51 am
MMT Pro Member

Yeah I like copperheads my first rig I had was a 14x32 with a 23 copperhead (stage 2 mods) little beast would scoot. Ran it down southeast Tx there was no stopping it in flats, further northeast tho became tricky avoiding cypress knees :lol: Not a hater on long tails either grew up runnin those.

I think I've talked myself outta the pyro at this point and gonna try and find a riveted flat boat. I wouldn't even mind a 12' jon but I dont want a little putter/predator kit motor I need something that'll scoot. Gonna try and close in on something by fall il post pics.

Fri May 18, 2018 3:42 pm
MMT Member

I would look into a four rivers ebads or county line. Small and portable, can handle some stuff. If I didn’t get the deals i got to put my big rig together then I would have bought one of those.

Sat May 19, 2018 12:32 am
MMT 1000 Club

If you want a riveted boat, the best made are the old ouchitas if you can find one. Mine was made in 1971 and is all rivets. Not a one has ever leaked or backed out. I use my little ouchita with my 23 go devil for everything - hunting the reserve, fishing, crabbing, frogging, etc and it serves its purpose well. You could probably find you one for under 500 bucks, paint it yourself, get you a little copperhead or something, and have you a very nice rig for cheap

Sat May 19, 2018 4:43 am
MMT 1000 Club

I've heard the old war eagles were good little boats too for this application.

Sat May 19, 2018 4:44 am
Reply to topic   [ 9 posts ]