It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:33 pm

Reply to topic  [ 16 posts ] 
 Go devil 1844 with low transom 
MMT Member

Post Go devil 1844 with low transom
I am thinking of upgrading to a mud boat from my 1654 grizzly with a 40hp outboard and found a killer deal on a 2002 go devil 1844 with trailer (no motor). The reviews on the Go Devils look fantastic and I love the idea of having a boat dedicated to killing ducks. I mainly hunt shallow rocky rivers and tidal creeks/flats.

My concern with the boat is the low transom. Does anyone run a SD on a 15" transom? I spoke to the people at Go Devil and I can order a brand new 35SD with a short transom shipped to me very reasonably. They do not provide reverse SD models for low transom boats.

Im a big guy 260lbs 35GDSD motor is roughly the same. Is the transom going to squat really bad? I sometimes have to cross large bodies of water so safety is a concern.

I cant seem to wrap my head around not having reverse. Is it really that big of a deal? Seems like most people get along fine without it.

My budget is roughly around $10k which ill be well under with this boat and brand new motor. Would I be better off doing this or buying a used boat/motor/trailer package that has a high transom and reverse?

Thu May 17, 2018 7:37 am
MMT Sponsor

Post Re: Go devil 1844 with low transom
I know a guy who runs a 1844 with 35gdsd on it. He's about 200. No problems for him. Add 60 more to the back and ?

Thu May 17, 2018 9:43 pm
MMT Elite Member

Couple of things - older 1844s were only .100 thick and have no side crimps, less stringers
running the length of the floor and a bow profile built around longtail use.... They flex a
bit and can "hook turn" at WOT turns if your not carefull but work fine with 35 GDSD...
The hull thickness is stamped into the rear next to the hull ID numbers...

As SDs got more popular the 1844s were slightly modified twice - first to .125 with extra
stringers for strength then later a side crimp came when the front bow was reprofiled to
turn better at greater speeds found with SDs and greater speeds....

I prefer the lower profile of the standard 15" side height - less side wind torque steer when
crossing bigger water and easier to hide when hunting - older hulls with low transom are
easily modified at GD to go to tall transom regardless of age.... My motor from my older
GD 1648 was for low transom so I got the low transom 1844 - but will let GD modify it
to tall if I ever get tall transom GDSD in future.... Something you could do before you buy
the moter is talk to them about conversion to tall transom as your a big guy... Also add
a poling platform for safety when driving and to keep trees from smacking you and the
motor in tight timber - best option to have - would never go without one !

I run the newer 1844 w/GDSD 35 and weigh over 220 - have front deck extension and
two 6 gallon tanks and lighting battery up front under deck extension - 6" catwalks up
front - because that is where I use pushpole and I never have missed having reverse as
the bigger deck and catwalks combined with full center bench make decoy placement
and retrieval super easy with pushpole as retrieval tool and stealthy quiet too....

My hull is low transom - and yes if you just chop throttle from plane your gonna take
a gallon or two over the transom if you don't "juice" the throttle as the hull settles or
step over the bench if motor dies at tank swapping time... I like fully auto float bilge
pumps because I often hunt in rain and leave boat in water at the camp - those little
wash overs get handled too next time you push back up on plane....

This my 4th MM setup over 20 years and 3rd GD hull - and my favorite for my current
needs of 2 and 3 man hunts in tight bayous, open marsh, open water over sandbars,
and timber...

Happy Hunting....

"It is good to have an end to journey toward; but
it is the journey that matters, in the end."

Fri May 18, 2018 5:30 am
MMT Member

Thanks for the info! Do you think a 27 mud buddy surface drive would be enough to push the 1844? I found a used one that just popped up for sale

Mon May 21, 2018 4:23 pm
MMT 1000 Club

Yes, it will do fine.

#CFFITR
#TheGhostBoat
#whoneedsphysicsihaveamudmotor

Mon May 21, 2018 4:25 pm
MMT Pro Member

I would stick with a 35, 37, or 40 HP. If you are crossing big body's of water I would want to do so quickly and a 23 would be rather slow with hunting gear in an 18' boat. Now if you put some mods on a 23 it would be good but you would be better off money wise to buy a bigger motor.

Mon May 21, 2018 5:03 pm
MMT Elite Member

Mon May 21, 2018 6:53 pm
MMT 1000 Club

A 27 will push an 1844 fine. Is it enough power for everyone? Nope. Will you want more power in the future? Probably. Is it a big no, as previously stated? Nope. Crossing big water is by far more of an issue with the size and side height of the boat than a limitation of the hp, and there's actually quite a difference between a 23 and a 27 in what it'll do in surface drive flavor. An 1844 is a good size boat for a 27, especially since it's not a heavy boat. If the deal is good enough and your expectations aren't unreasonable (and your needs aren't to shove 3 or 4 big guys at 30mph), the 27 might be perfect for you. Is that typically the case with most people that wind up on mmt? No.

#CFFITR
#TheGhostBoat
#whoneedsphysicsihaveamudmotor

Mon May 21, 2018 7:22 pm
MMT Member

I really appreciate all the responses! The last few years of duck hunting with an outboard I never even had a need to get on plane. I travel very short distances in very shallow water. I don’t need a speed demon but having power to break ice is a necessity. Buying the boat and trailer separately I’m thinking the total package will be around $6k which is well under budget!

Mon May 21, 2018 7:30 pm
MMT Elite Member

Mon May 21, 2018 8:02 pm
MMT 1000 Club

Wed May 23, 2018 3:42 am
MMT Pro Member

Russ won't steer you wrong. I recently bought a 1648 with a 35 MBSD that many on here told me was a big NO.

After having a conversation with Russ I test drove it with a load of 3 guys and some extra weight to simulate gear. It worked well.

I have had many big smiles and lots of fun on this boat since I bought it.

You just have to know what to expect. If you are buying everything used, and you are not happy. you can always sell the motor and get another, or mod it. You won't be loosing much since it is used.

My guess is that you will be happy.

Wed May 23, 2018 5:11 am
MMT Pro Member

Russ won't steer you wrong. I recently bought a 1648 with a 35 MBSD that many on here told me was a big NO.

After having a conversation with Russ I test drove it with a load of 3 guys and some extra weight to simulate gear. It worked well.

I have had many big smiles and lots of fun on this boat since I bought it.

You just have to know what to expect. If you are buying everything used, and you are not happy. you can always sell the motor and get another, or mod it. You won't be loosing much since it is used.

My guess is that you will be happy.

Wed May 23, 2018 5:11 am
MMT Elite Member

I am not guessing !
I have owned all these GD hulls over many years and run different SDs and LTs on them...

Your GD 1648 is tapered chine - it planes quicker and easier than round chine...
(My favorite hull for years for solo hunting was my GD 1648)

He is looking at GD 1844 which is round chine - it sits deeper and is harder to put on plane...
(My favorite 2 man hunting hull and my current rig with 35 GDSD)

IMO - the 35 GDSD is the minimum propper sized SD for 1844... I test drove the 37 GDSD
and just those extra 2 hp and mid range throttle added greatly - but EFI was not for me yet
due to it being so new to MMs... Should the newer 40 EFI show good reliability I will be
going that direction in a few years...

Again - this hull needs power - save up for a 35SD or just get a 16LT to 23LT...

Wed May 23, 2018 5:35 am
MMT 1000 Club

That boat would be just fine with a 27. Just get the foam out if it’s used.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wed May 23, 2018 12:25 pm
MMT 1000 Club

You can never have too much power when it comes to a boat IMO, but there are a lot of times when not having enough will get you in a bind. Get that 35,37,or 40 and be done with it. Just my opinion. You never know when you want to bring 4 or 5 people hunting on a trip.

Wed May 23, 2018 9:30 pm
Reply to topic   [ 16 posts ]