It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:47 am

Reply to topic  [ 5 posts ] 
 What to look for when buying a used duck boat 

Post What to look for when buying a used duck boat
I am looking at buying my first duck boat and I have seen some that I like but I don’t know what to look for. I am looking a 14 foot jon boats by 48” wide. What do I need to check before I buy a boat to make sure I am getting a good boat? What should I check for in a mud motor to make sure it is reliable and strong?

Wed Oct 31, 2018 5:12 pm
MMT Pro Member

Post Re: What to look for when buying a used duck boat
If the boat is welded, check all the welds to see if each has been compromised. Busted welds are a good indication on how the boat was used. Next, check the bottom of the boat. Look at the rear of the boat where the bottom meets the transom. If the bottom is smooth and no dents are found, the boat would be worth consideration. Look to see if the entire bottom looks like a washboard. A damaged bottom on boats kills performance in mudmotors. Make sure transom is in good shape. Lastly, make sure the electrical switches are working. There is nothing more frustrating than to have to go in and re-wire a boat you just bought.
Mudmotors are a little more complicated. Are you looking at a surface drive or a longtail?

Wed Nov 14, 2018 2:47 pm
MMT Pro Member

First thing I'd look for is something bigger. I've owned several boats over the yrs and have come to the conclusion that I'll never buy another less than 16 ft long and 50-52" wide. By the time you get 2 guys, dog, decoys and gear, 14' gets eaten up fast. Can you hunt out of a 14'? Sure. But not as comfortably as something bigger. All depends on your application and places you hunt, I guess. Everyone(including me at one time), mistakenly thinks smaller is easier to hide and easier to get around in. But the disadvantages of a small boat outweigh the slight increase in profile for "hideability." Smaller boats draft deeper with a load making it more difficult to navigate very shallow water. With driver, outboard, battery and gas in the back, small boats with narrow beam widths squat deep in the rear making getting on plane and holeshots more difficult. Smaller boats are also more dangerous in big water in storm conditions. I put blinds on all my boats and can't say I've noticed a difference in the ability to hide between a 14' boat and an 18' boat.

Fri Nov 16, 2018 6:29 am
MMT Member

Unless your your only going to hunt small lakes and marshes and have 1 buddy tops tagging along I'd forget about a 14ft boat. I have a 15/40 with a 23Lt and its great for the above mentioned scenarios but I also got me a 20/54 beast with a 40 SD.

Ok...here it is in a nutshell.....the 20/54 can do EVERYTHING the 15/40 can do plus so much more. Cannot say that vice/versa. Hunting alone I would want a 16ft at least.

Sun Nov 25, 2018 9:05 am
MMT 1000 Club

I have to agree with these guys here. I have an 18x48 with a 40 and a 14x40 with a 23. I used my big boat 15 times to every one time I use my smaller rig. I enjoy having room for me, my dog, and a couple buddy's and gear

Sun Nov 25, 2018 1:45 pm
Reply to topic   [ 5 posts ]