It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:15 pm

Reply to topic  [ 10 posts ] 
 New WC Custom build: 20x50-52 
MMT Pro Member

Post New WC Custom build: 20x50-52
Been saving for what feels like forever now. Earlier this week sent the ~70% deposit for my first custom build. Pete priced me competitively, I liked his style and selectiveness in his builds. I also really liked just his basic clean color package. AMPED to have a WC Custom build on its way. This is my layout that I solely came up with. I thought staggering the cat-walks would be a in between for big open floor space (I tend to haul ass loads/mounds of gear) but still get some of the off season benefits that cat-walks offer. Staggering the gunnel rails with the cat-walks- I thought well why wouldn't I just go ahead and run them end to end..? I personally think gunnel rails end to end will become a obstacle getting in and out of the boat (especially in waders). Also thought running them parallel with the cat-walks would be a cleaner/symmetrical look.

3/16 bottom; 1/8 sides

Main things I'm going for -
1) Maximizing load performance
2) Drafting shallow shallow shallow shallow (4 full shallows for emphases :lol: )
3) Making my layout pop

I'm going for something different. With a clean trolling motor mount portside, I'm hoping this non-typical layout pops once its all come together. Lots of thought gone into this over last few months, look fwd to hearing what ya'll think. The floors open feel free to be as critical as you'd like.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Fri Nov 23, 2018 12:57 pm
MMT 1000 Club

Post Re: New WC Custom build: 20x50-52
Why staggered rails?? I got rails on the front an back and use them all the time.

Sat Nov 24, 2018 7:42 am
MMT Pro Member

Going with taller sides so I worry rails end to end would get in the way stepping in and out.. Thought if they matched the same lengths of the cat walks on each side then it would be a symmetrical look where both sides of the boat have clean sections to step out, and both sides of the boat have grab sections to grab and rock it when it sticks. I dunno just a thought may be dumb and make more sense to just run them end to end.

I'll prolly do a 6" stern handle or two on the bare side (port) up on the fish deck so theres at least something to grab or tie onto.

Sat Nov 24, 2018 1:55 pm
MMT 1000 Club

Don't run rails front to back, and definitely don't do them staggered. You're overthinking the do it differently. You'll get annoyed with not having a rail on both sides at the front and at the back. Run them maybe the length of the front deck, and maybe 4 ft from the back.

#CFFITR
#TheGhostBoat
#whoneedsphysicsihaveamudmotor

Sat Nov 24, 2018 3:34 pm
MMT 1000 Club

Sat Nov 24, 2018 6:51 pm
MMT 1000 Club

I wish I had rails on mine sometimes

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sat Nov 24, 2018 9:42 pm
MMT 1000 Club

I like them. I think full length they get in the way with how I use my boat. But a 3 foot section on the front and 4ft at the back would be just about right for me, but only having on one side would aggravate the shit out of me.

#CFFITR
#TheGhostBoat
#whoneedsphysicsihaveamudmotor

Sat Nov 24, 2018 10:34 pm
MMT Pro Member

I think rails are handy as can be, I agree with full length I think they get in the way that's why I had this thought of staggering them. When its all said tho if I look up and am annoyed i dont have them on both sides at that point there's not much of a clean way to fix it so i will also look into running them short at front and back.

Sun Nov 25, 2018 1:47 pm
MMT 1000 Club

I wouldn't do full length. The other point I forgot is that if you have two short ones on either side of the front deck, you can carry items up there (e.g. coolers, decoys, etc) and the rails keep them from sliding (or you can use the rails to bungee them).

Having both front and back rails on both sides also allows for multiple points to tie to docks, trees and two anchors.

I also use mine as part of my blind system--they are the base points for bimini style straps and I have a rope zip tied to the bottom if each blind that I tie to the front and back along each gunwale to keep the blind material from blowing up.

Sun Nov 25, 2018 6:31 pm
MMT Pro Member

Since it looks like you hunt cold water it could be important to have something front and back to get a hold of to pull yourself into the boat. I always wonder when I see cat walks if it would make it harder to get back in the boat after a late season swim. Been more than one day I’ve had a fine glaze of ice on my boat.

Sun Nov 25, 2018 10:06 pm
Reply to topic   [ 10 posts ]