It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:36 am

Reply to topic  [ 5 posts ] 
 Trim Tabs 
MMT Pro Member

Post Trim Tabs
My 16/48 Alweld does some porpoising at WOT. Someone told me to adjust the built in trim tabs down a bit and that might help. I bent them down about an 1/8 inch. I think it helped some. I thought about adjusting them a little more, but thought I would run a search here. I did not find anything on built in trim tabs and porpoising.

Any thoughts out there on trim tabs and porpoising?

Sun Apr 28, 2019 7:05 pm
MMT 1000 Club

Post Re: Trim Tabs
I have them on mine. The only way to get them truly dialed in is to bend them a little at a time and go ride. Once you get your best performance, then leave them alone. The tabs help push the bow down and do help with the bouncing but if yo u set them too much it will make your bow dog and you will lose performance

Sun Apr 28, 2019 8:15 pm
MMT 1000 Club

Don't bend them too much. if you do, it will be like dragging a boat anchor. The tabs work because its creating drag thus pulling your front end down. Move weight around in boat as much as possible (batteries, fuel anything up front) to help out. Then adjust tabs pass 1/8"

Mon Apr 29, 2019 9:13 am
MMT Pro Member

Ok. I did a little research. Porpoising. Might not be an accurate discription of what is happening. My boat does not bounce up and down.

At wide open throttle the nose dives more tightly to the water without bouncing. Maybe this isn't a problem. I was told this could effect my top end.

Is that true?

Mon Apr 29, 2019 9:59 am
MMT 1000 Club

Trim up, or do the opposite what I said, add more weight to back until it start bouncing. Once you find that happy medium point, there is no need for trim tabs.

Mon Apr 29, 2019 10:30 am
Reply to topic   [ 5 posts ]