It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:34 am

Reply to topic  [ 12 posts ] 
 Aluminum Bay Boats 
MMT 1000 Club

Post Aluminum Bay Boats
I wanted to post this in the reviews section to spice things up around here, but figured I had better stick with protocol.

Not a lot of people up here run a center console bay boat or any style that is similar.

I’m looking for options of aluminum boats to run sorta shallow on my local river, but still be capable on the Mississippi and larger lakes. Something that isn’t brutal to run in a chop and not sketchy around barge traffic etc.

First question. What is a good production hull that might meet these requirements? It looks like the G3 and possibly the Crestliner have good options, but I have 0 experience with either.

Second question: is there somebody who makes custom bay boats that may serve the same purpose but at a better value....as in same quality for less $$, or better quality or features for the same or slightly more $$?

I know gator trap does it as well as a few others, but I’m up in MN and don’t get to look at a lot of bay boats.

I’m thinking something around 20’ with a console that would be more forward than the factory boats I’ve seen, and maybe no rear deck or a short rear deck. I plan to fish cats and pike/walleye out of it primarily.

Who’s got pics?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Fri Aug 16, 2019 8:47 am
MMT 1000 Club

Post Re: Aluminum Bay Boats
SeaArk. Been to their facility, laid hands on some in various stages of build. They'll do alot more customization than you see on the website without the price getting excessively stupid. The regular v has 3 deg of deadrise. Will ride better than flat, but still nice and rough in big water. The v hull is 15 deg with a 27 deg or something entry. Much softer ride, but will need a tad more water to float. They have both those hulls in some various layouts, just go through their boat models to see. Catfish models, fish extreme, big easy (without the couches, maybe) etc. Plenty of standard layouts to choose from.

The g3 looks decent too, but I highly recommend changing the breakers if you get one. 2 different g3s I know of needed random replacement of them within a few weeks of ownership. Other than that, seem decently built, and should make for a good boat.

#CFFITR
#GhostBoat
#Whoneedsphysicsihaveamudmotor

Fri Aug 16, 2019 9:19 am
MMT 1000 Club

Anybody have experience with the bay boats with tunnels? Is it worth it, or is there any noticeable performance difference?

Tue Aug 20, 2019 8:50 am
MMT 1000 Club

They'll let you run your lower unit higher for a bit shallower water or to get the skeg higher to avoid rocks a bit better. It's not just snake oil. They have their moments. Just gotta decide if it's for you.

There are tons of forum posts and articles around the net discussing the benefits and negatives.

#CFFITR
#GhostBoat
#Whoneedsphysicsihaveamudmotor

Tue Aug 20, 2019 9:04 am
MMT F.E.

Tunnels were used commonly on the Carolina coast when I lived there. I never owned one but they do have benefits and merits.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Tue Aug 20, 2019 12:43 pm
MMT 1000 Club

Tue Aug 20, 2019 7:02 pm
MMT Elite Member

Tunnels draft deeper

Thu Aug 22, 2019 11:35 am
MMT Sponsor

https://unclejcustomboats.com/bay-boats/

You can see a good bit of our previous bay boat builds.

Fri Aug 23, 2019 1:46 am
MMT 1000 Club

Thanks, I didn’t realize you guys did that many bay boats.

The boat builder tool looks like it’s only for a mud boat? Unless I clicked on the wrong link/tool.

I like the looks of the boats on your site and it seems like they’d be in the wheel house of what I’d need.

Fri Aug 23, 2019 8:28 am
MMT Sponsor

Fri Aug 23, 2019 8:46 am
MMT Pro Member

Not sure what you consider a "bay boat" . Mine are 15 deg deadrise at the transom, and sharpen up from there on entry. Either 3/16 bottom and sides, or 1/4 bottom and 3/16 sides

This is the last one I did. I can't even come close to being competitive with a production built boat like G3 or express, but these boats aren't even in the same league in my opinion.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Mon Aug 26, 2019 2:50 pm
MMT 1000 Club

That’s an incredibly nice boat.

I’m mostly referring to the layout of the boat and the intended use of the boat more than any hull specs like the degree of dead rise etc.

I want a center console boat with the console all the way forward against the front deck.

I run a natural river up here that my current boat is fine for, but it’s nice having a fairly shallow draft for avoiding stumps and sand and also for loading/unloading.

Then I really want something that is comfortable to make long runs in, won’t rattle my fillings out with a standard chop on the water. There is barge traffic on the Mississippi here, so large wakes and occasional bigger waves are expected. I’d guess my conditions are similar to what a lot of guys use bay boats for, only less extreme on both ends.

If I can get a decent safe ride on bigger water like lakes and the Mississippi I’ll be happy if I can still launch and get around on my local river.

Mon Aug 26, 2019 3:24 pm
Reply to topic   [ 12 posts ]