It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 10:05 am

Reply to topic  [ 13 posts ] 
 Rancho safari panels 
MMT Pro Member

Post Rancho safari panels
Thinking about building a quick flip blind using Rancho panels. Most the pics I have seen on here with them are being used with scissor style blinds. Looking to see if anyone has used them on a quick flip setup. Mainly wondering if I will need 3 panels instead of 2 to have enough to cover the back side from the water line all the way up and over to the top bar that flips backs on the blind. Their website says they are 4.6 feet wide and I believe I will probably have to tie two together and cut the excess. Just looking to see if anyone had done it or used 3 panels. Thanks for any input.

Sat Sep 14, 2019 4:15 pm
MMT F.E.

Post Re: Rancho safari panels
On my boat, it runs from the water line to the normal top of a scissor. If you wanted it higher for a flip top, you will need an extra panel. The panels aren’t super light though so factor that in. There are far lighter and far cheaper methods than adding a third ranch panel

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Sat Sep 14, 2019 5:09 pm
MMT Pro Member

I’ll keep the weight in mind. Thanks for reaching out bluesky. Btw what pattern do you have in the panels.

Sat Sep 14, 2019 5:17 pm
MMT F.E.

APC. Unless you are in Florida where it’s insanely green, it’s the one I’d recommend.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Sat Sep 14, 2019 6:00 pm
MMT Pro Member

Ok thanks for the input. I’ll check into a sample of that pattern.

Sat Sep 14, 2019 8:44 pm
MMT Member

As others have said, you'll need a third panel for what you're trying to accomplish.

I've got 2 panels on my boat with a Poker design blind from this site. They go from the water line and just slightly over the top of the blind. I think I have something like three or four inches of excess.

The panels are great though! Best blind material I've used yet.

Sun Sep 15, 2019 6:17 am
MMT Pro Member

Thanks for the input deflate. I like many others have been looking at pokers design. Did you use 3/4 conduit all over? I have seen some that did and others that used 1” for the inside main poles and 3/4 poles for the sections you flip back when standing. Also what pattern did you use for your panels.

Sun Sep 15, 2019 2:25 pm
MMT Member

I used 3/4" for the whole thing. If I had to do it over again, I would use 1" for the main bars for the added rigidity. My blind is plenty strong, but I wish it was a tad more sturdy.

I'm in Iowa and got the 4/season Jeriflage APC camo.

Mon Sep 16, 2019 8:25 am
MMT Pro Member

When you guys put your panels on do you have to cut excess off at the water line? Seen an old post that showed a picture of the bottom of the panels and it had a sleeve sowed in so you could run some added weight to keep the panels from blowing up. So if you do cut the bottom off, how are you guys going about adding weight to the bottom. I was thinking you could just roll the bottom of the panels up and over a bar and zip tie it.

Mon Sep 30, 2019 10:14 am
MMT Member

Roll it up and zip tie it. I didn't cut mine (and I wouldn't) so I could use them on whatever boat I have at the time. I just had to let them out more this year for my new hull.

Tue Oct 01, 2019 8:22 am
MMT F.E.

Tue Oct 01, 2019 9:24 am
MMT Pro Member

Yea that makes sense. These things are too expensive to cut. Came across prodigy’s version of the panels but they look like mud buddy’s shaggy/backwater performances panels but more expensive per panel than ranchos. Does anyone know for sure about the differences?

Wed Oct 02, 2019 10:21 am
MMT Pro Member

Tue Nov 05, 2019 1:08 pm
Reply to topic   [ 13 posts ]