It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:14 am

Reply to topic  [ 5 posts ] 
 prop for 16 horse motor 
MMT Member

Post prop for 16 horse motor
Hey guys,

I went from a 6.5 predator motor to a 16 horse duralast, and I didn't see any difference in my boats performance on the water. I've concluded that I'm using basically the same prop as was on my 6.5.

both were build it yourself kits that I bought already assembled so I'm not very familiar with the brand.
I do know that it's a 3/4 inch threaded shaft on this motor and it's wearing an 8 inch two blade prop.

Can I trouble you for a link to a prop that would better utilize this motor's torque?

I'm idling around 1600 and tacking up to 3000RPM. This motor still has the governor in it and I don't plan to pull it anytime soon.

Thank you in advance,

SwiftyP

Tue Jul 17, 2018 9:55 am
MMT Pro Member

Post Re: prop for 16 horse motor
http://www.backwaterinc.com/props.html

Try a 9x5, I had that on a 16hp longtail.

Idle sounds high, is that in the water or on the trailer? Governor is not stopping you at 3000, but your throttle travel may be. Are you using the same throttle cable that you had on the 6.5? Need a throttle with more travel for the 16hp. RPMs should be around 3600 WOT, 1000 idle in the water.

Tue Jul 17, 2018 1:17 pm
MMT Member

1600 is on the trailer. I'll have to note what it idles at in the water. The throttle cable is a bicycle shifter with detents and it does give me full range of motion on the carb linkage. It's pretty fantastic really. I may replace the carb. It was in pieces when I bought it and it may be good to start from zero..

Thanks for the advice man.. Much appreciated!

Tue Jul 17, 2018 5:34 pm
MMT Member

Hey Bigbend.. Good suggestion for size. I got it mounted up and I'm idling on the water at1400. Tacking up to 3200 or so at full speed. I'm guessing I'm moving 10 to 12 mph. I did jump on Amazon and order a new carb so I'll throw that on and report back to you just because..

When you had that 16, did you remove the govener? Would you dare or will I likely shell the motor? What are your thoughts and experiences with this?

Thanks again!

SwiftyP

Sat Jul 28, 2018 8:08 am
MMT Pro Member

What size boat is this on? You can download a speedometer/gps app for free to get an idea of how fast you are moving. Not as accurate as a dedicated GPS but will be fine for this purpose.

I’ve never messed with my govenor, but the sweetspot for every longtail I’ve owned has been around 3600 WOT in the water. Your govenor shouldn’t be limiting you getting to that RPM unless your in a huge boat or underpowered. I’d keep playing with the linkage/carb to get it right. Do you have a pic of the current setup?

Mon Jul 30, 2018 4:34 am
Reply to topic   [ 5 posts ]