It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 4:15 pm

Reply to topic  [ 11 posts ] 
 GTR 35 Prop spinning in neutral and reverse question 
MMT Member

Post GTR 35 Prop spinning in neutral and reverse question
Ok without getting into a pissing match like the last GTR prop spinning in neutral thread, what can I do to help cure the problem. Mine currently spins enough to push the boat slowly forward in the water, and no you would not want to grab my prop when it is in neutral. I think you would lose a finger.

-I've changed, "topped off" the shaft grease a few times with no significant change.
-Next going to change the transmission oil to see if that makes a difference
-What's next?

Next question for the reverse system. I have to mash down on the reverse lever almost to the point of touching the handle before it engages. I know my brake fluid reservoir leaks slowly, and I have been topping it off. I think I may have some air in the line. Should trying to bleed the line help build pressure back up in the handle? I read there is a bleed screw somewhere near the caliper....anyone have a picture of it on the mototr? I also heard of some sort of rebuild kit...what is it?

Thanks for the help!

Wed Oct 10, 2012 7:53 pm
MMT Super Elite Member

Post Re: GTR 35 Prop spinning in neutral and reverse question
If you have a small leak it will never pressure up. Replace the break fluid reservoir asap as it will never be right and every time you squeeze the lever and let off you are sucking air through the leak hole that you have therefore putting air into the lines. Change it and that will solve your problem.

As far as the prop spinning, some do and some don't, with the screw out of the lower unit do you pump grease in it till you get a steady stream of fresh grease coming out? I always do it till it gets all the air bubbles out and steady new grease is flowing smoothly. Another thing to check is belt tension. Make sure your belt is not real loose.

Wed Oct 10, 2012 8:00 pm
MMT Pro Member

Prop spinning is just like take em said. I have seen my freinds stop way to early while pumping grease and they don't make it past the big air bubble. Pump a full tube of grease in it, just to be sure.

Wed Oct 10, 2012 11:44 pm
MMT Elite Member

3 things can cause a long handle pull on the GTR reverse. Low fluid, worn pads, or mis-adjusted pads on the older style reverse..You want the pads to just Barely touch or just barley miss the rotor. It is just like a vehicle's brake system and the pads ride on the rotor to get quick reactions.

The allemite location is Behind the BIG roller bearing, so it will take a few times of Greasing/running the engine to get a Proper fill of grease. Air bubbles need to be bled off, and it is harder with the thick grease. Just keep ressy full of Fluid, pads set, and the shaft greased. Also dont put too much oil in the trans, so it dosen't cause too much fluid coupling.

I also noticed on my personal GTR when it is COLD the reverse will spin quite fast. But as I warm the engine up I Use the revese and get the fluis in the trans warm and things mellow out and slow the spin down to hardly nothing. For mine to not sping my pads have to be just barely touching, and have a shaft FULL of grease.

Thu Oct 11, 2012 6:14 am
MMT Pro Member

Mine also spins quite a bit in nuetral, I have tried all the remedies mentioned on here...good luck. Some just seem to do it more than others. I am sure they exist but I have never seen one that does not spin at all.

Thu Oct 11, 2012 9:39 am
MMT Super Elite Member

Thu Oct 11, 2012 4:32 pm
MMT Member

Ok started everything all over again.... Pumped a tube of grease through the shaft, drained and refilled the tranny oil. Prop still spins in neutral not quite as fast, but I still wouln't want to stick my foot in there. What's next? I checked the belt and it seems about right (per GT owners manual).

I have an email into Hoyt.

Just added fluid and bled reverse system. Whalla! no more long handle pull!

Thu Oct 11, 2012 5:06 pm
MMT Pro Member

What is the point of having neutral if the prop still spins? Might as well have a GDSD.

Thu Oct 11, 2012 6:44 pm
MMT Sponsor

How much oil you put in transmission

Thu Oct 11, 2012 6:45 pm
MMT Member

Followed west end anglers video....tilted the two holes to 10 and 4.. when oil started dripping out of 4 I stopped and replaced all screws.

Design flaw or what? Opinions?

Thu Oct 11, 2012 7:24 pm
MMT Elite Member

So many variables, The reverse is a simple plantary gear box. I have explained myself until i was blue in the face on a previous thread on HOW it works.
Here is the basics on keeping the prop from SPINNING too fast. Heck even outboard props slowly rotate in neutral
Shaft FULL of Marine grease
Transmission oil to spec. (too much oil will make it spin too fast.) Ie this think just needs enough oil to keep things lubricated
Belt tension. Make sure it is not too loose
Brake pads on the older style can be adjusted, The newer style is a fltating calip they pretty much ride right next to the rotor.
Good luck.

Fri Oct 12, 2012 6:17 am
Reply to topic   [ 11 posts ]