It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:24 am

Reply to topic  [ 3 posts ] 
 mud buddy prop shaft difficulties 
MMT Member

Post mud buddy prop shaft difficulties
My bleeder screw to grease my lower unit broke off. I've tried easy outs and everything else, no luck. So now I need to disassemble the outdrive to drill out bleeder screw and re tap a bigger size. I have the prop side seals out just part of the race showing. I have the C clip and seal out on the gear side. I've read the forum on the MB forum that everyone recommends but still don't understand a few things. It says use a pipe wrench first on the gear side to remove race. On the gear side does the race come out counter clockwise? It says to use a pipe wrench on the gear side but there is only a little bit of race showing and the pipe wrench wont grab. Does the shaft come out the prop side? is the race on the prop side threaded?

Wed Sep 20, 2017 11:27 pm
MMT 1000 Club

Post Re: mud buddy prop shaft difficulties
The shaft will come out either way. I prefer to pull from the prop side. The seal cap on the prop side is left hand thread. Use a big crescent wrench if possible, pipe wrenches tear the shit out of the nut. I use a long 5/8" dia. bar to knock out the front bearings from prop side knocking them out towards the driven gear end. The shaft is a press fit into the bearing races. Use a brass bar or a piece of brass stock to tap the shaft out of the outdrive towards the prop side.

BPS Swamp Staff Member
Blackwater Marine LLC.

Quote classic by rangerp: "Red seemed to be enjoying herself, and I assume by the look on her face was about to hit the high-note and throw a locate as she treed the possum."

Thu Sep 21, 2017 4:44 am
MMT 1000 Club

Post Re: mud buddy prop shaft difficulties
yes, the race on the prop side is threaded.

#CFFITR
#TheGhostBoat
#whoneedsphysicsihaveamudmotor

Thu Sep 21, 2017 5:21 am
Reply to topic   [ 3 posts ]