It is currently Wed Apr 17, 2024 8:52 pm

Reply to topic  [ 15 posts ] 
 Help with new clutch on Mud Buddy Sport HD 
MMT Member

Post Help with new clutch on Mud Buddy Sport HD
Purchased a Mud Buddy Sport that had an electric clutch but was converted to direct drive. I bought a complete clutch assembly from MB but haveing problems installing the clutch and clutch plate. I did watch the video from MD on how to install the clutch and it looks simple.....but when I slide the clutch gear on the shaft I can't install the clutch plate because there is not enough shaft sticking out to catch the key on the clutch plate. I got the "spacer" from MB that goes between the engine and gear, so it should be the correct spacer?? Can't imagine what I'm doing wrong? Any ideas? It looks to me like the spacer is about 1/4 to long. How far in does the key need to go to catch the drive shaft good enough to hold?

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Sun Jun 23, 2019 4:43 pm
MMT Member

Post Re: Help with new clutch on Mud Buddy Sport HD
OK update.....called Backwater and they said the engine shaft they use is 4 inches, which is an inch shorter than my engine. Probably why it was direct drive !! Doubt I will be able to get the clutch to work now, if I cut the spacer to allow for the clutch plate to fit the whole clutch gear may be too close to the case and/or to far out of line with the lower drive gear. Probably will have to go with a direct drive again. Anyone know how the older direct drive MB motors were set up?? Here is how this motor was set up.....Spacer, clutch gear, clutch bolt in shaft, big heavy fender washer (cut out to fit over bolt head). and washer then spot welded to bolt head and to clutch gear in about 5 spots. Actually was a pretty good set up. You have a better way??

By the way, my motor is a 35HP Vanguard and has the same model number as MB, but the "family name" or "code" is different which is the shaft length.

Mon Jun 24, 2019 1:39 pm
MMT Pro Member

cut spacer is what I would do but you could always replace crank.

Mon Jun 24, 2019 5:57 pm
MMT 1000 Club

Replace the crank

Support your troops. We support you.

B.

B. MacDonald

Mon Jun 24, 2019 7:35 pm
MMT Member

Thanks for your comments guys. I will try cutting the spacer and see if the gear will still line up good enough for belt to stay on. I think cutting the spacer about 1/4 inch would do it, and is certainly worth a try. Never thought about replacing the crank but that would be an end game option.

By the way, way is direct drive so bad?

Your comments are very much appreciated.

Tue Jun 25, 2019 5:24 am
MMT 1000 Club

It's not that direct drive is bad, it's the fact that a clutch allows the option for Neutral.
Setting decoys from the boat is a lot easier, you can warm the engine up at the ramp while offloading the boat, the list goes on...
Convenience is really the name of the game.
You could argue safety points but lots of LT still being run ;)

Support your troops. We support you.

B.

B. MacDonald

Tue Jun 25, 2019 5:54 am
MMT Addict

Tue Jun 25, 2019 6:35 am
MMT Pro Member

Even with going to a direct drive, there may not be enough shaft to line up the belt properly. You can test this without the spacer in place.

The easiest way is to measure the distance from the belt housing face to the outward face of the sprocket, then measure from the drive casting face to the prop side of the lower sprocket. That distance needs to be exactly the same on top, and bottom. If you can't line them up without the taper lock bushing hanging off the shaft, then you need a new engine, or new crankshaft.

Tue Jun 25, 2019 11:10 am
MMT Member

Thanks for your quick reply, I will measure to make certain but this motor was direct drive for a good while. The guy that had the motor before me used an old clutch gear (without clutch plate) and welded the gear to the engine shaft with a large washer. The washer was made to fit over the head of the clutch bolt and came up perfectly around the face of the clutch gear. Kinda hard to explain but it was solid. Not the usual method for making a direct drive, I would think, which is why I have asked for other methods to make direct drive. I have heard MB surface drives were direct drive years ago.

Tue Jun 25, 2019 1:52 pm
MMT F.E.

Just change the crank. I’ve seen quite a few in the classifieds here. Not very difficult.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Tue Jun 25, 2019 3:58 pm
MMT Member

Blue Sky, how many hours would you estimate to install the crank and what would you think the cost of the crank to be?

Thanks for your feedback.

Tue Jun 25, 2019 4:22 pm
MMT F.E.

Post Help with new clutch on Mud Buddy Sport HD
Well there is one for $100 in the classified right now, so I’d imagine around that ball park.

It came off a GT, so I’m not sure if mudbuddy runs the same shaft length, but if so, get it and go.

And depending on your skill level, 2-5 hrs I’d bet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Tue Jun 25, 2019 4:46 pm
MMT 1000 Club

Figure never having done it before on about 4 hours. I've done it a few times. It isnt difficult, just a bit involved.

#CFFITR
#GhostBoat
#Whoneedsphysicsihaveamudmotor

Tue Jun 25, 2019 4:58 pm
MMT Member

OK.....not as time consuming as I thought. The crank listed here MMT was sold but I will keep an eye open for another one. Thanks for your help.

I would still like to know the set up that MB used with the direct drive surface drive motors, if someone knows. They must have used a gear held on my key & bolt ? I could be using the motor while looking for a crank !!

Wed Jun 26, 2019 5:55 am
MMT Pro Member

SPE I sent you a pm.Jeb

Wed Jun 26, 2019 3:06 pm
Reply to topic   [ 15 posts ]