It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:36 pm

Reply to topic  [ 7 posts ] 
 Replacement PD clutch longevity  
MMT Pro Member

Post Replacement PD clutch longevity
Clutch crapped out Sunday. Looks like I’m going to replace mine this week. Any word on the longevity of the Extreme aftermarket clutch? Or would I be better off springing for the PD clutch? It’s on a Gen 3 lower.
Got 219hrs on Original clutch. Went frogging Friday night and was on and off the momentary more than usual..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mon Jun 08, 2020 8:13 am
MMT F.E.

Post Re: Replacement PD clutch longevity
I don’t know about that clutch, but am interested, how many batteries do you run in your boat? I do a lot of bowfishing and am on and off the clutch a lot and feel it wear down my batteries and lag the clutch when they are low. Fairly certain that’s adding premature wear to my clutches (I get about the same hours per clutch as you) and am curious if there is a better solution.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Mon Jun 08, 2020 8:38 am
MMT 1000 Club

Pretty sure the Gen III PD clutch is a more beefed up clutch than the Extreme Brand.

They are similar in price, too.

Mon Jun 08, 2020 2:04 pm
MMT Pro Member

Mon Jun 08, 2020 5:12 pm
MMT Pro Member

Mon Jun 08, 2020 5:31 pm
MMT F.E.

Tue Jun 09, 2020 9:20 am
MMT 1000 Club

fwiw... I have a gen 3 lower unit on my pd. I frog quite a lot, and run jugs all day/n ight long at times. I beat that intermittent button up quite a bit at an idle speed. I also have winch trim. with my old 36 briggs [not the marine motor] it would sometimes kill the battery at 3 or 4 in the morning, and i'd have to use my jump box to get it started and then go run wfo for a while to charge up the battery so it would start again.

I now have the marine engine [40] with the better charging system and have zero issues with the battery staying charged up while frogging/ running jugs.

as far as clutch life, I have gotten several thousand hours out of a couple, and expect to get at least 1000 hrs out of a clutch. I had one go out after a couple hundred hours, but that is not the norm.
I have heard horror stories about motors eating clutches, more often than not it is an alignment error when installing the clutch. when u get your new clutch from pd, make them tell you exactly how to ensure it is installed correctly.
good luck!!!

and... I run a big 31 series marine battery. I don't usually bring another battery, just a jumpbox in case I need a jump.
my headlight is led and the radio is headphones and both have their own battery.

Tue Jun 09, 2020 7:26 pm
Reply to topic   [ 7 posts ]