It is currently Tue May 14, 2024 5:01 pm

Reply to topic  [ 18 posts ] 
 1852 TMT Extreme V, 36 prodrive 
MMT Pro Member

Post 1852 TMT Extreme V, 36 prodrive
This is my first mud rig. I've been lurking on this since Mudslinger started it, the fuge before that. Didn't post because I didn't want to be forced to buy a mud rig like Mudslinger was.

Boat with just me ( right at 300 lbs) ran 24.8 mph, motor 4100 RPM's. Is this rpm alright or too high for a stock motor. There were 3 bro's bank fishing I pulled up and tried to get them to go for a ride (load test :D ). One of them got in the other 2 said they didn't do boats. The one fellow said he weighed 200 lbs. Boat still ran 24 mph.

This boat is built like a tank. It's the same boat Willet had trouble with. I hope I don't. I bought the motor from DVR in S.C. It had 39 hrs on it.
The prop is worn pretty good. I'm thinking of buying a new prop. I guess I want a stock prop from prodrive? Any advice on the prop would be appreciated.

I'm very pleased with the rig. I was hoping for a little more speed, but this boat is huge and heavy. I'm in the process of rigging the boat like I want it. How are the moveable gunboxes mounted in the phowler boats? I got 2, but they aren't mounted. One 48" to go across the front one 60" for the side. I'm having a hard time deciding how to mount them. I think I'm going to have tabs welded to them instead of drilling hole in the bottom so they'll be waterproof incase I get water in the boat.

Sun Apr 26, 2009 1:02 pm
MMT 1000 Club

Post Re: 1852 TMT Extreme V, 36 prodrive
They use riv-nuts in the cross bracing to hold the boxes down. A bolt through the bottom of the box secures it.

Sun Apr 26, 2009 2:38 pm
MMT Pro Member

[quote]They use riv-nuts in the cross bracing to hold the boxes down. A bolt through the bottom of the box secures it.[quote]

Thanks Mitch. I hope the water never gets high enough to matter in the boat, but I don't want to drill holes in the boxes.

Sun Apr 26, 2009 5:45 pm
MMT 1000 Club

I believe the cross bracing is spaced around 34" center to center, so unless you can come up with a way to hit them w/tabs you would be securing it to the floor on the 60" box. 4 tabs / 2 on each side might do the trick.

Sun Apr 26, 2009 6:28 pm
MMT Addict

I recently mounted the gun box to my new Phowler boat. I just screwed it down to the bottom with big old self tappers, catching longitudinal bracing where I could. If I get concerned enough about water in the boat getting into the gun boxes I will goop around each screw with silicone.

I have installed other accessories including light kit with riv-nuts but I just couldn't see going to that trouble for the gun box. I don't plan on taking it out or moving it around.

Mon May 04, 2009 10:10 am
MMT Moderator

Benny, lose some weight, she will fly 8-)

Mon May 04, 2009 1:18 pm
MMT Pro Member

I just bought the same boat off their banckrupty auction, mine was unfinished but I'm having some work done on it right now to finish it up, then I just need to throw the floor in and paint.

I'm debating on what motor to hang on the back, I'm really leaning toward the same prodrive I weight about 180 so speeds would probably be comparable. I have the cash for something used but I don't know if I want to just save a bit more and buy new. I have a guy up around me that is selling a 35 GT with Reverse, only one hour on it but he wants 6. That seems like to much for it to me even with it being new.

Anyone have a phowler or TMT with a gatortail on the back I'm not as concerned about speed as some, but I just want to get the right motor. I hunt a variety of stuff from really skinny water to some deep stuff where I get into rollers. I believe I need reverse, and I like the thought of reverse with the click of a button.

Looking for anyone else with experience with this boat and other motors. Thanks for the info from the prodrive, your right they are built like a tank, and from what I hear the one boat that had issues was kind of a one off base on some extreme use?

Last questions - Runner or no runners. I don't currently have runners on mine and wondering what folks think of them? are they helpful or nessesary.

Thanks

Zoom, Zoom

Fri May 08, 2009 11:39 am
MMT Addict

Shooter,

I am running an 1852 flat front Phowler now. Stock Prodrive 36. I have only had the boat out once, but my review from that run is posted on this forum. I know someone here in N. Idaho that is running a new 1852 V-Front Phowler boat with a brand new Mudbuddy 35 Sport. He got low to mid-20s running solo at 4000 feet elevation.

I have a lot of experience running Mudbuddy motors. While I had good luck with them, if I was going to run a belt drive unit I would probably go with GatorTail. The reverse is a very compelling feature. I also believe from the bulk of reports that I have heard over the years that these are the fastest running stock belt drive motors on the market.

That said, I love my Prodrive for it's outboard-like driving feel and for the full power reverse and I would not change.

As for runners, my boat came with them, and I cut them off. I want to go the shallowest I can over sand and gravel bars. I am just hung up on having a smooth boat bottom. I hear that the Phowlers with the runners will handle quite well in tight turns and that the runners are not noticable in the shallows, but I can't get over my desire for a dead flat bottom boat.

Fri May 08, 2009 9:13 pm
MMT Pro Member

Thanks,
Ya I think I know who your talking about (trout?) not sure if the name is the same on MMT but on the refuge I believe that' who he might be. Thanks for the info. I've heard the same on the gatortails as the fastest but why? really stock to stock what would make it faster?I thought it was more about the boat. If I've got a stock 35 MB and stock 35 GT is the the GT faster if the boats are the same with the same load? Maybe the gear ratio is different and I missed that? I've also seen side by side comparisons and I believe the gatortail is the tallest which makes me think it is the most top heavy. I'm not sure that makes any difference but I know in my old rig with the motor weight up top (longtail), the permenant blind and a guy standing up she swayed in the waves a bit.

I think I just need to go for a ride in each and see what fits me. I will say I like the adjustable handle option on the Gatortail as well. but like the twist grip on the prodrives.

Zoom, Zoom

Fri May 08, 2009 10:59 pm
MMT Addict

Going for a test drive is a great idea.

I think at the end of the day, various mud motor designs using the same engine will vary in speed on the same hull because of prop, belt and drive angle / length.

Trout is in fact the guy in Coeur d'Alene running the TMT (Phowler design) V Hull and the 35 Hyperdrive. We are anxious to run side by side to get a comparison between the 36 PD and the 35 Sport Hyperdrive on what is essentially the same hull below the waterline.

Sat May 09, 2009 8:08 am
MMT Pro Member

I purchased a 35 GTR from a guy in Indiana who went by the name Doublecluck on this site. He had the 35 GTR on a 18'x60" Phowler Extreme with the pointed bow. If I remember correctly I think he said it ran about 28-30mph depending on the load. The GTR was stock. Hope this helps.

Sun May 10, 2009 3:43 am
MMT Pro Member

Sun May 10, 2009 7:02 am
MMT Pro Member

Dave, I'd rather be fat and happy.

Mon May 11, 2009 4:14 am
MMT Pro Member

Mon May 11, 2009 4:16 am
MMT Member

Mon May 11, 2009 5:40 pm
MMT Pro Member

Guys Thanks for all the info. I agree I need to get out and go for a ride with each of the motors. I'm going to work something out with the prodirve dealer I'm working with to try one of those.

I just want to hear what others with similar rigs were getting based on motors, Mods etc so I could go in comparing apples to apples.

I wish I had a gatortail dealer nearby but as far as I know there are not any local, I think Shallow water in Iowa might be closest to me, that's why I was asking about the GTR.

Thanks

Zoom, Zoom

Mon May 11, 2009 9:24 pm
MMT Pro Member

Zoom, Zoom

Mon May 11, 2009 9:31 pm
MMT Moderator

I hear yah Benny :lol:

Mon May 11, 2009 9:45 pm
Reply to topic   [ 18 posts ]