It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:02 pm

Reply to topic  [ 2 posts ] 
 Copperhead - On Phowler / Lowe / Phowler #1 
MMT Pro Member

Post Copperhead - On Phowler / Lowe / Phowler #1
Copperhead - On Phowler / Lowe / Phowler #1

A brief prelude... I own a Lowe 1448M - Mod-V. Had decided i could not put a 27 or larger prodrive on my boat (the motor i want) and cant afford this day a new complete rig. Had decided i could live with my boat if I could find a SD to match. Research led me to the 18 copperhead for its weight and report on power. Drove 3.5 hours to Illowa Marine/Phowler boat to test, and, I really thought, highly likely to buy. Arrange with owner Paul to test the 18 first on an 1840 Phowler Lite Jon, then on my boat. My thinking was that I was going to get great performance on my Lowe, but that I would soon be in a position to buy bigger, and wanted to see how the Copperhead 18 performed on the bigger boat, if and when i wanted to make that move.

MM Brand: Copperhead
Horsepower: 18 no clutch
Boat Brand: Phowler
Boat Size: 1840 Lite Jon
Boat Layout: Open / front deck / rear seating pods / gun box
Speeds | Shallow Water: 14
Speeds | Deep Water: 12 against the current of the Mississippi River / 16 with the current
Total Boat Load With Gear Etc: 3 guys total weight 610; "gear" (bags of salt and dog food) 165lbs
Conditions Tested In: Calm river / high water / good flow

Comments: I expected the boat to be sluggish, but it did get up on plane, and moved OK. no speed records, but reasonable, I thought. Actually better, probably then I expected. Moved well in shollow water and through grass and weeds. all in all, Ok not optimal. That said, I don't think the 18 Copperhead is the right motor for that boat, so I don't think it was a good test of the motor. It started well, drove well, did not need to fight it at all. Ran a second shorter test with just two just in the boat, and did 16 against the current. Really liked the boat. Exposed to the narrower 40 recently by Podcast (thanks) and liked the way the boat was built. Though the "lite jon" it was sturdy enough for the shallow water, mucky bottom marshes I hunt.

Final comment... The guys at Phowler / Illowa were great. Thanks to Paul and Bubba for taking the time to do this, to answer all our questions. To give us items to consider. To recognize, in the end that I had not yet found "the answer" , and to not try to push me into something for the sake of the sale.

Sat Jun 30, 2012 8:50 pm
MMT Sponsor

Post Re: Copperhead - On Phowler / Lowe / Phowler #1
The Lite jon is a nice boat, but it is not a "four person" rig with an 18 in deep water and current. I do think we may have given up 1-3 mph with the new motor we put on right out of the crate, I am thinking we might need to adjust the trottle a bit from what bubba told me the top end RPMs were running. We have tested that boat out of wind and current with three and gotten a steady 18-19 mph and 17 in current, top speed with four deep water out of current was 15.8 with our previous 18 hp demo motor. It is not a speed demon by any sense with that load, but it will plane a load alot of production boats would be plowing water at 6-7 mph with (like your Lowe MV did).

It was great to meet you guys and have you at the shop. I know you wanted to go home with a motor or rig, but I think you have some things to consider in deciding what will work best for you in the conditions you run. I hope the time spent running all the different boats helps you clarify the pros and cons of different options.

Thanks for taking the time to demo with us.

PW

1701 Main Avenue, Clinton, Iowa 52732
563-242-8969 or cell 563-212-7091
email: larrys-prodrive@mchsi.com

http://www.larrysillowamarine.com

Wed Jul 04, 2012 11:43 am
Reply to topic   [ 2 posts ]