It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 8:35 pm

Reply to topic  [ 2 posts ] 
 Tracker Grizzly 1648.. What mud motor? 
MMT Member

Post Tracker Grizzly 1648.. What mud motor?
I have a Tracker Grizzly 1648 all weld with a 30 horse mercury. Im ready to get rid of the outboard and go to a mud motor. I understand that a modified v hull is not the best for a mud motor, but I do know that a mud motor will take that 1648 Tacker Grizzly a lot more places than my 30 horse outboard will. And I also like the modified v for running deeper water like we have on some of the lakes here in Florida. I hunt in Florida and am tired of clearing my prop and stopping to take weeds off of it. Plus I want to run decently shallow. I got pods for a Christmas present made by Beavertail so my boat should be more stable now. I asked for the small size designed for 14' to 16' foot boats, but I received the medium size made for 17' to 18' foot boats. When I got them I took them out to my boat and held them where they would be attached and they did not interfere with the turning and handling of my outboard. I think the mediums will fit my 1648 fine. I also like them being bigger as I would assume that they would hold more weight up and be more stable. So, I have a couple of questions... I am going to wait till after this duck season to get my mud motor, and I have decided on a 35 hp.. I have read many forums and seen where a surface drive is not good with pods, but I have also seen where they are alright if set up right. I would rather have a surface drive but if pods are a real problem with a surface drive, I wouldn't mind having a 35 hp long tail as long as it still pushes me fast. I hear they are a pain to drive though. So, will these larger pods interfere with turning on a surface drive if thats the route I take? Or could we set up this boat with a surface drive? I just need some advice dealing with what motor for my boat before I install these pods and purchase a mud motor.

Thu Dec 25, 2014 2:15 pm
MMT 1000 Club

Post Re: Tracker Grizzly 1648.. What mud motor?
First off, THIS IS THE REVIEW SECTION!

The first thread on here from Tony B, says no questions, reviews only.

Anyway, throw the pods away, and put a 35/36 on your boat.
I have a 16x48 without pods, and gas tank, and battery in the back the boat and it does fine.
Getting a surface drive or Longtail depends on your hunting and fishing conditions.

If you have hard bottom sand, go with a longtail, anything else, surface drive.
and you will probably want reverse too.

Now, there you have it.
Junk the pods and get a big block and dont look back!

Sun Dec 28, 2014 9:59 am
Reply to topic   [ 2 posts ]