It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:38 am

Reply to topic  [ 57 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Uncle J 1340 / Copperhead 12 / SAW Aluminum trailer Review 
MMT Pro Member

Post Uncle J 1340 / Copperhead 12 / SAW Aluminum trailer Review
Uncle J 1340 / Copperhead 12 / SAW Aluminum trailer Review

I have put off writing this for almost a month while trying to work out some problems, so having worked with both Uncle J and Copperhead, I can say that they were both great to work with and both stand behind their product 100%.

I have learned a great deal and there are some things I would do differently. This has been a long process and has consumed most of my time for the last 2 months. Hopefully I can provide some info that will help some of you avoid some of my mistakes.

Performance:
I was hoping to put up a video but when I got out on the water I realized the battery was not in my camera, so a few numbers and general comments will have to do for this first post. I started off with a Copperhead 10 and was really pleasantly surprised at how well the boat ran through a floating mat of vegetation in a few inches of water with my Dad in the boat with me (I weigh 174 and Dad somewhat more plus 6 gallons of gas). I was hoping for a little more deepwater speed and Gil at Copperhead kindly allowed me to swap the motor out for a 12 HP as he had another guy who wanted my motor. Today, Dad and I launched in Intracoastal City and went out to the Little Bay. We briefly hit 21 MPH on GPS on the way out there. When I got to the Little Bay I saw a 300 yard long mud flat and decided to go across it. Once over it, we realized that the mud flat was covered in shells and shells were being thrown 20 feet up in the air but there was no turning back. We made it through, but chewed up the prop somewhat. It ran in just mud very well as well as shallow water and deep water. I have run longtails before but not surface drives so we had one interesting experience with the boat going completely sideways over the mud and it looked like we were going to run into the bank but finally hit a little patch of water and made the turn. The normal speed with 2 people was usually about 19.8 MPH and we gained a little speed in shallower water. We only ran into trouble once, which is when I was going very slow over a hard bottom that had clams and shells and had to push our way out of it which was fairly easy.

I should note here that I have SteelFlex on the hull bottom or we might not have made it across all the clams and shells. Steelflex does make the bottom of the boat very slick, but it is not a panacea. Just for fun, I launched the boat today without the trailer even touching the water (except for the tires). You do not ever want to unhook your boat until it is to the water with this stuff. On our original test run, we were dragging the boat over the levee in our backyard which has a very mild slope. We started pushing/pulling and the boat took off down the hill and almost ran me over! When I said it was not a panacea, these are the negatives: it can get torn off relatively easy. It seemed to mostly survive the clams, but the concrete at the boat ramp if you pull all the way up to the ramp to let someone in definitely takes it off quickly. It does not seem to be that easy to repair as it does not really stick to itself. It is basically an epoxy with a teflon-like additive so it is not really going to fill large indentations. Small deep indentions it would though. The stuff definitely helps you slide over stuff, but the longevity is questionable.

The boat:
13' long, 40 inch bottom, high sides, 15" transom, open except for 1 pod for the driver and the front deck, smooth bottom, longitudinal stringers instead of lateral to avoid hooks in the bottom, one seat base was added for the front passenger. My intention was a 2-man 1-dog boat, that would be easy to hide, and easy to move if you got into a bad spot. I found that 0.1 is more than enough for the sides but not enough for the bottom and Uncle J has stated that he will not bulid another one out of 0.1 because it has too much of a tendency to flop/bend/warp instead of staying flat during the building process. We found that the transom angle, which is not something I had considered, is important. The Copperheads are built for the same transom angle as an outboard but apparently some of the other mud motors are built for less of an angle which can become a problem with an outboard or Copperhead. The transom angle needs to be approximately 16.69 degrees plus or minus a degree or two. If you put a Square to it that means you should have about 4-1/2 to 5 inches of gap at the bottom of the transom on a 15" transom. A little more is fine. Less than 4 inches and you end up with the problem I had which was the prop not being able to get low enough. Uncle J was as good as can be hoped for and modified the transom for me. Uncle J built the boat out of 0.1 aluminum at my request against his recommendation. My recommendation now is listen to what the builder tells you. I wanted a boat that was alot tougher than a factory boat but still small and light enough to carry/drag and run with a Copperhead. Factory riveted boats like the Lowe and G3 1236 have 0.05 so this is exactly twice as thick and twice as heavy but still alot lighter than a 0.125 hull. I think I was partially successful in my tradeoff. The additional weight means that the boat runs alot slower than the light riveted boats would but I don't have to worry about leaking rivets and it can take alot more punishment. Here is something else I had not considered. I knew that the Copperhead motors were fast with a light thin boat like a factory 1236, so my reasoning was that I could add a foot of length and a little width on a custom boat and put the larger Copperhead on it and it would be that much better. What I had not considered is that the factory non-mud type boats have a stubbier nose with almost no rake at all. When you build a mud type boat, the high rake bow which is there for jumping logs/levees/grass brings the curve much much further back into the boat which means that the bottom running surface is much shorter. This appears to be the reason mud type boats need to be so much longer to get top performance. As a result, if I had to do it again, I would have it built another foot longer, but if I was getting a factory boat with the stubby nose, the shorter boat would probably be fine (except for all the reasons the factory boats are usually not as good like not being as good for jumping stuff, the possibility of developing hooks from the lateral supports, runners slowing you down in mud, etc). Here is one consideration that did work out: Since this is a small boat, and the driver sits to the far starboard, it worked perfectly to offset the front seat base to the left and balance out the boat. Today I ran the boat all the way up into a stream no wider than the boat. Because the boat was light, it was no problem to jump out and flip the boat around. There is no way that could have been done in a bigger boat and reverse would not have gotten you out if you had it.

The trailer:
SAW 14-16' aluminum trailer purchased two days ago. This trailer is aluminum except for the axle, winch post, fenders, and fasteners which are galvanized steel. It was actually just about the same price as galvanized. Apparently galvanizing costs so much these days that they can build aluminum for the same amount. I went way overkill on this trailer because I wanted the bigger 13 inch tires because 12 inch tires are not recommended for towing over 70 mph because if your truck with its big tires is going that fast, your little trailer tires are going over 100 which can wipe out tires and bearings. Also on more than one occasion my hunting partner and I have lost both tires and axles on LA dirt roads with the small tires (given they were smaller than 12"). The main complaint I have heard about aluminum trailers is that they can get stress cracks usually at the bends. This trailer has added T shaped support welded on at the bends to avoid that. So, it seems to be very well made. Now for the bad. The axle is set so far back (and not movable) that the center of gravity is so off that I can't even pick up the tongue to move the trailer around with a little bitty 13' boat. On my other trailer with a boat that weighs 3 times more, I can move the boat and trailer around with 1 hand. If you are perfectly fine with backing your truck right up to it any time you want to move it on grass, then it should be a great trailer. My other complaint is that on the galvanized parts (mostly the runner board supports) some spots up to 3 inches long have no galvanizing whatsoever. That is a major problem in saltwater. It looks like they hot dipped multiple at one time and parts were touching and where they touched the galvanizing did not reach those spots.

The Motor (Copperhead 12)
I mostly covered this in performance. I have not tested it with 1 person. Top speed I saw on this boat with two people was 21 MPH. You should expect considerably better performance with a lighter longer boat. We were both really impressed with the performance running across mud and through vegetation. Considering the size and horsepower, it is nothing short of amazing. Here are the negatives: It would be nice if the electric start option came with marine connections on the wiring. I will probably cut them off and replace with tinned heat shrink connectors. It does not really matter to me at the moment as I have not even been using the electric start. A battery is just one more bother to me. I like to keep things simple. I recommend the remote fuel option as the onboard gas tank has the fuel pickup at the front which means that with the motor tilted to the back you have to fill up too often.

Paint
1) washed with detergent, used PPG Alumiprep to acid etch, then zinc chromate primer then Duralux. Zinc Chromate is for corrosion protection but if you buy Duralux Aluminum boat green it will stick fine without primer and the primer is not at all fun to apply even if you thin it. Almost all of the rollers I used to apply the Duralux sucked and fell apart. The foam ones were the best by far but only if you could find solvent resistant ones, otherwise they fall apart too. I easily spent a couple hundred on supplies not even including all the paint. If you have a bigger boat, it would probably definitely be worth it to pay a professional to do it based on the prices I have seen posted here. As far as the SteelFlex goes, the pot life seems to be alot longer than normal epoxy even with slow hardener so it is pretty easy to work with. Do not make the mistake I did and try to do it outside on a windy day. Once it gets a little tacky it is impossible to fix the booboo when something falls on it or even worse, it starts raining and you put a tarp over it which sticks to it even when you thought it was dry (yes, I should have done it indoors).

The boat has not been camo'd yet and I still need to build a lightweight plywood floor and get some kind of cover for the gas tank. I have noticed that even Krylon with "plastic fusion technology" does not stick to gas cans.

Fri Nov 19, 2010 5:24 pm
MMT 1000 Club

Post Re: Uncle J 1340 / Copperhead 12 / SAW Aluminum trailer Revi
Pics, Vids? 8-)

Fri Nov 19, 2010 6:32 pm
Profile WWW
MMT Pro Member

As noted in the original post, I forgot to put the battery back in the camera when I went out today so when I got it out to make a video, no power :( I would have loved to get a video running across all the shells because I will never do that again! I was hoping to get some shots and vids tomorrow for the East Zone Opening day on Catahoula Lake but whoever is running the locks now days doesn't have a clue. This is the first year we have no water at our blind so I am not hunting tomorrow. My buddy went out there a few hours ago and the ground is so dry and cracked we could drive to the blind in a truck (we pulled a 20 foot trailer to it last week to brush it).

Here is one more pic from the stern until I can get it back out on the water (hopefully hunting) and make some vids.

Here is one of the inside while washing the boat in preparation for paint. In case you are wondering at the side supports, I had asked for a place to mount rod and gun racks, the stern light pole, and maybe a push pole. So far I have only added the mount for the stern nav light pole.

Fri Nov 19, 2010 7:50 pm
MMT Pro Member

Nice looking lil boat...those motors are kinda impressin me.

Fri Nov 19, 2010 8:29 pm
MMT Elite Member

I did not see a grab bar.... Do you feel you will be able to
handle her seated 100 percent of the time - or - would a grab
handle be nice for rough spots or twisting bayous where you can
see ahead better standing ???

"It is good to have an end to journey toward; but
it is the journey that matters, in the end."

Fri Nov 19, 2010 8:33 pm
MMT Pro Member

I had debated about the grab bar myself and did not have it put on. Uncle J gave me a handle that I could take to a local welder when I got the motor and once I figured out how far forward I wanted to put it (just to have something to hold on to). So far I have not found it necessary. The one time I have found that I really had to hold on was in deep water trying to turn around in a very small bayou. You better be holding onto something if you try to make a really sharp turn in deep water or the torque will toss you in the water. Other than that, I was driving with one hand. As far as being able to see where I am going, I don't use the pole for the front seat base while running so the front seat is fairly low (see top pic) and the pod is tall, almost an inch or two from the top of the boat sides so I have not had any problem seeing where I am going so far. If you wanted to stand up, I would say definitely get the tall grab bar because a small boat is not going to be as stable as those barges they use with the 30+ HP motors.

Fri Nov 19, 2010 9:38 pm
MMT Sponsor

nice review and nie boat ive been builidng a 1336 skiff on the side and been wondering what kind of speeds I would see out of it with a copperhead when I get it finished. It has more bracing in it than yours but should be comparable

WC Custom 2048 3/16 Bottom Center Console with 35 PD EFI GTR
WC Custom 1840 Hybrid 3/16 Bottom with 37 EFI BOSS

Sat Nov 20, 2010 12:50 am
MMT Pro Member

Hi Willet,
What gauge aluminum did you decide to build yours out of and is it going to have a high rake bow?

Sat Nov 20, 2010 10:46 pm
MMT Sponsor

1/8" material

The rake is what i would consider average

Mon Nov 22, 2010 9:28 am
MMT Pro Member

Ok... finally got around to making a video, although it was just an afterthought on the way back from the blind this morning with one other person. The guy taking the video for me did get a shot of the gps doing 20 mph at the time. I am starting to get the hang of driving the motor. It seems to have a learning curve to get used to getting the trim set right for it to run right. Near our blind the ground is hard as concrete so it works better to have the prop further out of the water rather than trying to dig in which works great in areas that have muddy bottoms. Use this link or click the picture:
http://s243.photobucket.com/albums/ff32 ... I_0633.mp4

Here is our 5 man limit for today. In case you are wondering, I ferried everyone back and forth one or two at a time from the river to our blind. 3 men and a dog plus gear at one point was slow but we made it.

Sun Nov 28, 2010 1:28 am
MMT Pro Member

I just saw the video...was there enough decoys in that guys set up?

Sun Nov 28, 2010 10:00 pm
MMT Elite Member

We used to have a blind on Catahoula...

They still into that "your blind is too close to ours so were gunna burn it" thing?

(New Motor) viewtopic.php?f=5&t=54733

Stumps Fear Me

Sun Nov 28, 2010 10:00 pm
MMT Pro Member

To answer the two questions, half of those decoys were jugs, and yes, blind burning does still occur though I have not personally seen it, I just hear the gossip. My buddy and I had welded a floating blind and they stole all the barrels floating it.

This weekend both my buddy and I both wrecked into trees. My boat went totally vertical and filled with water I almost fell over the top of the motor toward the prop(note to self: go slow in trees and wear lanyard LOL). Luckily I was only in a foot of water at the time. No damage to my boat, not even a scratch. My buddy's riveted boat on the other hand got a bit busted up in the front. He also sank it in 7 feet of water at 5 am (although that was a separate incident from the tree). Not knowing where he was I shot my limit and went in (Saturday). By the time I got back, he had run diesel through his engine and had it running again, and was so hardcore that he still wanted to go hunting (and that is on the day the water in my boat was frozen solid). We headed back out in the afternoon with 2 boats (4 people).

I went back out today, but with 3 people this time instead of 5. Here is our 3-man limit with the boat and one of the hunters.

Mon Nov 29, 2010 9:26 pm
MMT Elite Member

Is that an empty sack of corn in the boat?? :lol:

Stumps Fear Me

Mon Nov 29, 2010 9:36 pm
MMT Pro Member

Negative on the sack of corn. I doubt you would go for very long before the Game Wardens found it. I am not sure what you are looking at but the bump in the back is the gas tank with some camo burlap over it, the white plastic bag is some litter I picked up, the camo bag in front contains mojo's, and the bag leaning against the pod is my Dad's knapsack. Since so many of the birds are new birds, I doubt that corn would help anyway. It might help with wood ducks, but we didn't need help with wood ducks. In fact, I have never seen so many wood ducks in my life. We were discussing that earlier and the consensus was that they were on the lake because most of the other areas are dry right now. Also, some areas like Russell Sage and Ouachita WMA's are not even being flooded this year.

Mon Nov 29, 2010 9:59 pm
MMT Elite Member

I was lookin at that old style camo bag in the front of the boat.

Yeah, you gots to have some balls to bait on catahoula :lol:

Stumps Fear Me

Tue Nov 30, 2010 5:37 pm
MMT 1000 Club

Willet, I suggest that you go with a 42" bottom on your hull. I have a 36" bottom on mine and draft too much water. More bottom surface is better.

Nice write-up cheesy. Glad to see you are satisfied with your rig.

OAN, cheesy, did you put a tach yet on your motor? I think there are a few hundred more RPM that can be got out of these. Out of water they spin up and hit the gov, but never-ever hit the gov in the water under load. What you think.

Sun Dec 12, 2010 9:26 am
Profile WWW
MMT Pro Member

Cmiller, I actually hit the governor often. I ran the same speed with two people that I did with one. Same thing with the 10 hp for the short time I had it. Actually, with the 10, I was hitting the governor all the time and Gil actually had me move the spring for the governor to a different hole on the 10 and I gained a couple miles an hour. I would say there is definitely more to get out of it if you want to play with it. I agree on the 42inch bottom also. No way would I do a 36. Mine is 40, and I wish I had gone ahead and added a couple more to make it 42. I will say this. 40 is WAY more stable than the old 1232 I had.

Sun Dec 12, 2010 5:38 pm
MMT Pro Member

Here is one more video riding down 4-wheeler trails in the boat. The guys that hunt in the blind I pass in the video go to their blind by 4-wheeler. They were kind to help us find our lost dog the other day.

Mon Dec 13, 2010 1:25 am
MMT Sponsor

I have to say.....

I was 100% against this project . LOL Though, I build the customer exactly what they want. Cheesypoof, was very informative of what was needed to insure that this small HP engine ran correctly. I would like to give special thanks to the welding gods that this project came out GOOD.

Thanks for the business CHEESY

Mon Dec 13, 2010 8:26 am
MMT Sponsor

awesome shoot and glad to see that rig running good

thanks for the suggestions on the width but mine is already 80% finished since last summer, so there's no going back now

Thu Dec 16, 2010 5:52 pm
MMT Pro Member

Here is a mud running video shot this past weekend down close to Vermilion Bay with two people in the boat. (just click the pic).

Thu Jan 06, 2011 10:29 pm
MMT Pro Member

Here is my favorite part. You can run the boat up into streams until there is no stream and not have to worry about not being able to turn around because the boat is light enough to pick up.

Oh yeah. Everyone wants to know what happens if you stop in the mud. I found out this past weekend. I am going to try to post the video (at least the one of us running into the bank and getting stuck). While getting out, our hands were busy and we didn't get a video unfortunately. In the getting stuck video, I was coming out of that small stream in the above pic into a bayou that was all mud. You can see that I had slowed down to almost idle trying to make the turn before I hit the bank (learned later that leaning like you are on a skateboard helps), but ended up hitting the bank anyway. What happened at this point was that I turned the boat around with a 2x6 (habit from hunting with outboards days). I started the motor and tried to take off, which instantly just dug a hole where the prop was and the prop didn't have anything else to push against. It wasn't like the gumbo mud in those other videos where they show the 45 hp surface drive taking off in mud with multiple people. If you go watch that video, you will see that they were more in a sort of slush than mud because when they stop and go, the hole instantly refills. In the area where I got stuck, the mud was stiff and if you made a hole, it did not refill with water or mud it just stayed there. So I got an idea. I started the motor, hit the throttle, and then pushed the boat forward a few inches with the 2x6. Just moving the boat forward a few inches with the 2x6 gave the prop something to catch on, and we took off with no water whatsoever, otherwise, we might have spent the night there. This is the video of us hitting the bank (slowly since I had slowed to almost idle):

Thu Jan 06, 2011 10:57 pm
MMT 1000 Club

Cool little boat you got there.

Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:11 pm
MMT Pro Member

Didn't watch any of the videos but that pic on the tailgate is a VERY impressive mixed bag. Kudos to you!

Fri Jan 07, 2011 12:40 pm
MMT Pro Member

Fri Jan 07, 2011 12:50 pm
MMT Elite Member

Its a Catahoula Lake thing, there are about 700 blinds on that lake and people want a bigger spread then the next.

Its not uncommon to see 2,000+ decoys and jugs.

Stumps Fear Me

Fri Jan 07, 2011 5:26 pm
MMT Pro Member

I guess that is basically the same as Lake Guntersville. Alot of those guys have 24+ feet boats just to carry decoys. Some idiot has a pontoon boat just to carry decoys. I ain't putting that many out and having to pick them up to. No way Jose.

Fri Jan 07, 2011 5:48 pm
MMT Elite Member

Most leave em out all season, some all year.

Stumps Fear Me

Fri Jan 07, 2011 8:17 pm
MMT Member

what is the prop size you are runnning?

Sun Jan 09, 2011 3:00 pm
MMT 1000 Club

Thats a cool lil rig... I wouldnt mind having a rig like that...
Nice job J, and one hell of a review.

Sun Jan 09, 2011 3:43 pm
MMT Pro Member

Just finished up another season. Right before the season, I sold the 12 Copperhead and bought an 18 Copperhead. With 2 guys and a pile of decoys, dog, etc the 18 was running around 22, sometimes more or sometimes less depending how well I set the trim (2 guys and no decoys pretty consistent 23). The 18 pushes a heavier load alot better than the 12 but I actually thought the 12 did better in just mud with no water. After playing around trying to figure out why that could be, I came to the conclusion that the 18 was making the boat sit so much lower in the water than the 12 did, that my normal trim level in water is not low enough once you hit a mud flat because the boat sits so much higher on the mud than in the water that the prop is not making enough contact with the mud. Once running on just mud, you do not want to stop to adjust the trim. The 12 on the other hand was so light that the boat sat much higher in the water and the normal water cruising trim level works just as well in just mud. For me, this turned out to be a non-issue because where I hunt, the bottom is extremely hard so you can't run mud flats anyway because there are none. If I was hunting in the marsh, I think I would want to match the 18 with a different boat or else go back to the 12 Copperhead. The Briggs on the 18 Copperhead runs much smoother than the LTC on the 12 and starts easily. The 18 finished it's first season flawlessly with only one annoyance which is that the choke pull likes to slowly work it's way open while running and the engine slows down until you realize what is happening and push it back in. There is a screw which holds down the little piece of metal which provides the friction on the choke pull. I had already tightened that. I may see if putting loc-tite on it might provide a little more traction or something. Otherwise, it has been fantastic and I am loving it.

Thu Feb 02, 2012 4:20 am
MMT Pro Member

how is the .100 bottom holding up? im looking to build a small rig similar to yours. 1542 with a 18 copperhead and wondering if i should go all .100 or do a .125 bottom. how does the boat turn in deep water? i know you said earlier that uncle j wont build a .100 boat but i would really like him to cause he does really nice work.

Thu Feb 02, 2012 6:16 pm
MMT 1000 Club

Fri Feb 03, 2012 8:34 am
Profile WWW
MMT Pro Member

The bottom is holding up just fine minus the FlexSteel which needs to be redone and is probably slowing the boat down a little. I launched the boat up on dry land at full throttle in the fog one morning and it was no problem for us or for the boat (one of the benefits of a relatively light boat as we were back on our way in seconds). It turns in deep water just fine. The only place it does not turn well, is on a mud flat with no water. With that said, I still am not going to try going screaming around corners with a totally flat bottom like I do in my other boat with runners. Also keep in mind that we have trees but not stumps so I am not running stumps all the time. If you want a heavy .125 boat, go with a big engine (other than Copperhead). The Copperheads perform best with smaller lighter boats that the bigger engines are too heavy for. Uncle J does do some nice work, especially with .125

Sat Feb 04, 2012 3:30 pm
MMT Pro Member

yeah i need something light i can pick the front up and turn around in small slues. i also have a couple land locked ponds on our marsh lease that i need to drag it to. i dont run stumps at all as it will be used in marsh all the time.

Sat Feb 04, 2012 7:59 pm
MMT Elite Member

Got any pics or vids of it with the 18?

Sat Feb 04, 2012 9:13 pm
MMT Pro Member

Sun Feb 19, 2012 2:08 am
MMT Pro Member

Very Nice Boat.

Sun Feb 19, 2012 6:51 am