Post 1644 gatortrax 35 mud buddy hdr
MM Brand:mud buddy
Horsepower:35 HDR tall transom
Boat Brand:gatortrax
Boat Size:1644
Boat Layout:open

Speeds | Shallow Water:
Speeds | Deep Water: 27-28mph
Total Boat Load With Gear Etc: 5 gallons of gas, battery at the stern, safety gear, tools, and winch up front in bow storage.
Conditions Tested In: calm, little to no wind.

Comments

The boat has the following options. .125 hull, 21" sides with crimp, 21" standard transom, spud poles, thru hull winch, and gator glide.

Coming from a 25hp tall transom longtail with an 85" drive, this is like going from a horse and buggy to a corvette. I've had the boat for about 2 years and finally decided to upgrade the engine. I hunt and fish a large tidal river system. I run in heavy thick mud, few logs and stumps here and there, and little vegetation.

My first impression of the motor is good. The Briggs throttle response from idle is shit. Reverse is awesome. Works well. Even neutral impresses me a lot. Not having it for 10 years with that stupid longtail really makes me happy to just flip a switch and have it. I originally ordered an EFI motor but changed my mind a couple days later and got the carb motor instead.

I need to mess with how I load the boat. At full throttle I get a serious bounce in the bow. I think I need to put the battery up front for sure. Fuel tank is already up front. I ended up finding 2 cinder blocks on the river bank, and that helped with the porpoising but not perfect. I think if it wasn't doing it I could have got another mph or so out of it. Other then that, the boat handles extremely well. Does not slide, tracks well at low speed. I was getting 17mph with the longtail with no load so the HDR is a big step up.

Going to run again tomorrow at low tide, see how it does in the mud and some shallow water speeds. Will snap some pictures in the morning.

Rob

Sat Aug 27, 2016 7:27 pm
MMT Pro Member

Post Re: 1644 gatortrax 35 mud buddy hdr
Ran again today at low tide to see how it does in the mud. Performed better then I expected. Motor is aggressive to say the least. Didn't check the speed but was getting a little more rpm in shallow. Was running about 4250 max. Likes to cruise around 3700.

It used to be a question of will I have enough momentum with the longtail. Now its how fast do I want to go across this.

Really happy so far. See how it does later once the blind, decoys, and gear are loaded down in the boat.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Sun Aug 28, 2016 12:06 pm
MMT Pro Member

When warranty goes out slap a mikuni on there and that tgrottle hesitation will be gone. Best mod you can do imo.

Sat Mar 25, 2017 6:01 am
MMT Pro Member

Ditto X2

Sun Mar 26, 2017 4:50 am
Profile YIM
MMT Pro Member

That's the plan. It really is terrible how bad these engines run in the cold weather. I made it through this year with turning the air filter cover around with the inlet pointed towards the exhaust. On certain days it helped a lot. Others, it didn't make a difference. Eventually I'm going to make a little hood for the exhaust shield that really directs the heat into the inlet.

Mon Mar 27, 2017 7:42 pm
MMT Pro Member

mikuni will fix that. Makes world of difference

Wed Mar 29, 2017 11:40 am
Reply to topic   [ 6 posts ]