It is currently Sun Jun 09, 2024 3:03 am

Reply to topic  [ 10 posts ] 
 gonna try build, dont know squat 
MMT Member

Post gonna try build, dont know squat
Im thinking about trying to build a LT for a 14' boat. Iv been reading off and on on this forum for more than a year or so and now Im ready to take on a new project (just got done building a 8" full suspension lift on my foweeler). Im not wanting to run warp speeds, Im just wanting to get a little further up these south Ga. "rivers" than my 15hp outboard will take me. I also have a fair sized swamp on my property that Id like to use it to get around in during duck season. Im not to keen on the idea of walking through chest deep water full of grass and lilly pads in the dark (its the alligator thing). The frame, transom mount and engine part is a no brainer to me I think,,, but its the shaft that's got me puzzled. Seems like theres so many ways to do it. Heres my idea of what I think I need but I tend to overbuild things. Could yall help me get started ?

I plan on usin
13hp predator engine
shaft (backwater)
complete bearing kit (backwater)
kill switch (backwater)
throttle set up (backwater)
prop (backwater)

pretty sure Im gonna use DOM tube for the frame and shaft housing but I don't have a clue about bushings and everything in between. As far as the bearing kit , is that "necessary" for a 13hp engine or is there a more cost friendly way ?
Thanks in advance for any replies.

Thu Mar 02, 2017 9:44 pm
MMT Pro Member

Post Re: gonna try build, dont know squat
Your list seems good.
I built my 22 suby for under $400,i have build posted a few down on the list from this thread.
I ran a flange bearing ontop and a brass bushing on the lower,im happy with it.....but you gotta greese before every run.
Full bearing systems are less maintence.
Looking foward to your build.

Thu Mar 02, 2017 10:28 pm
MMT Member

under 400??? that's what Im talking about! Its the complete bearing kit that has me concerned. The kit alone is $300. I think I read through your thread,,, is it the one with the tapered shaft on the engine? I need to look into all the bearing options. Seems that I have also read that the DOM tube is kinda hard to find for the backwater bearings.

Thu Mar 02, 2017 10:52 pm
MMT Pro Member

Yep thats the one,i used a mud skipper lower and a $8 flange bearing on top.works just fine.
I really wanted the back water bearing system.....but building on a budget.

Fri Mar 03, 2017 12:26 pm
MMT 1000 Club

Those backwater lower bearing housings are nice but a bronze bush and a rotating shaft seal of 2 work for a lot cheaper.

You will need a bush half way up your tail tube to support your drive shaft.

Fri Mar 03, 2017 12:52 pm
MMT Pro Member

Nothing wrong with bronze bushings upper and lower,greese gun will be your best friend.
A well maintained bushing set will last a few years.
Bearings are less maintence in the long run.

Sat Mar 04, 2017 1:07 am
MMT Member

Thanks for all the replies. Iv never really understood how the whole shaft thing worked, but after yalls replies it makes sense.. Think what Ill end up doing is one of them flange bearing things up top a bushing in the center and MAYBE one of the backwater bearings on the bottom.
So Iv been reading and it seems that finding the DOM tube for the shaft sleeve is kinda hard to find so I know I wont be able to get it here in my town. I can use 1" black iron / gas pipe though right? Also Iv heard mentioned a few times about a thrust bearing,,,,,,,, what is that?

Sat Mar 04, 2017 8:15 am
MMT Pro Member

I dont use a thrust bearing.
A thrust bearing take foward load created by the prop.
Once i lock down my engine,universal,and flange bearing.....i dont thonk its needed.

Sat Mar 04, 2017 11:47 am
MMT Member

So Im still working everything out in my head (gota have a game plan) so nothings gonna happen over night. I wanna do this right and do it once so let me start over. I have a 13.5' (or something like that ) riveted and a 16' alumacraft all weld tunnel. I know I cant use a tunnel with a LT but yall that have had all different sized boats what works best, or is the best combo? I figured with the smaller sized boat, best bet would be to stick with the 13hp range, but my God, it seems that you can fit 2 of my smaller boats inside the 16 footer. Question is, sense I plan on doing this once, what would yall give up, HP or size of boat, or could I put a 22HP on a 14 footer and be relatively safe ?
I have also noticed that on the frames where the motor mounts there seems to be a angle on that plate. Is there some kind of reason or formula for that? I know that the shaft angle needs to be at a certain degree, but why is some engine mounting plates at a slight angle?
I tend to ask a lot of questions, but by taking my time and asking questions and measuring 100 times and cutting once I can whip up some impressive (to me) projects.

Mon Mar 06, 2017 6:34 pm
MMT Pro Member

My 22 subaru pushes my 14 x42 monarch at 20 mph solo.
My hull is a thick rivited hull,not one of those lite alumicrafts.
I feel that my setup is completly safe and within its limits for my longtail.

But i supose if my 14 was a lite hull.....id be hesitant to drop 22 hp on it.
A 13 hp would be plenty power if your planning solo and looking to maintain 15 mph

Edit
Also mote that my brother has a 16x48 rivited heavy duty with a 25 kohler godevil,he can only get 16-17 mph solo.....but the room is nice.
You gotta weight out your options and be realistic about your goals.
What do you really want from this rig?
Room.....or speed.
Im comfortable with slow and reliable,but when i hit thick vegetation im thankfuf for the speed.

Mon Mar 06, 2017 8:55 pm
Reply to topic   [ 10 posts ]