It is currently Sun Jun 09, 2024 8:41 am

Reply to topic  [ 7 posts ] 
 New or Used??? 
MMT Member

Post New or Used???
I am in the market for my first mud motor. I have the boat already, its a 16 footer. Right now I am leaning towards a Mud Buddy probably the 27hp Kohler. Mud Buddy has it brand new for just over $3000 and that has a 2 year motor and frame warranty. My question for you guys is should I go new or used. Most of the used motors I have been looking at for a 27hp are all around $2000 so I figure I might as well put down the extra grand and get brand new. Any suggestions I have been waiting for this day a long time and dont want to disapoint myself!

03 Kohler Mud Buddy 25hp

Thu Jun 03, 2010 6:19 pm
MMT Pro Member

Post Re: New or Used???
IMO Its really 6's either way. If you can find a good motor that has been well cared for and maintained it can last just as long as a brand new one. the only bonus's to buying a used motor is that you arent spending another 1000 dollars on the same product AND your not putting another mud motor in the swamp to compete with, your just recycling an old one in a way. but its completely up to you. flip a quarter if it is that close of a decision. ;)

Gee

Fri Jun 04, 2010 12:04 am
MMT Pro Member

If you can manage i'd go with a new motor.
you never know what a used motor has been through
and a 2 year warranty means you can run the crap out of it and feel good about it
but like GLD said its completely up to you

Sat Jun 05, 2010 9:29 pm
MMT Elite Member

And there is no replacement for displacement, Go big or you will be wishing you did sooner than later..........

"I do think there is a Squatch in these woods"!!!!!

Sat Jun 05, 2010 9:39 pm
MMT Member

I bought mine used, but new the guy I was buying it from. Its worked perfectly. Now I'm try to sell mine, but I can't post it. Anybody know why the "New Post" button isn't on the classified section for me?

Sun Jun 06, 2010 8:19 am
MMT Sponsor

Not sure.. It is there for me..

Make sure you are not in the Dealer Forum. You will not beable to post in there.

As far as the NEW or USED question..

If you can afford a New motor, buy a new motor. Also, buy the biggest one your boat can handle. This will ensure that you wont kiss yourself in the A$$ for not enough power.

Sun Jun 06, 2010 8:50 am
MMT Pro Member

I could not afford a new mud motor and ended up buying a used 27hp Kohler BT from a guy I didn't know in Kentucky (found it on Craigs list). If you have a good mechanical knowledge you can pretty much tell if a motor has been cared for. The motor I got only had about 15 hours on it and I got a steal at 1400, it is a 2005 model. Again, if it looks good and you feel good about the motor you could save yourself some real CHING...

The only other advise I have was already posted GO BIG right off the bat! I run that 27 on a 14' boat and it Hauls in all conditions!

:mrgreen:

Mon Jun 07, 2010 3:42 pm
Reply to topic   [ 7 posts ]