It is currently Wed May 15, 2024 7:03 am

Reply to topic  [ 4 posts ] 
 How do you measure prop size and pitch? 

Post How do you measure prop size and pitch?
First post, be gentle.

I'm having speed issues with my Muskrat longtail (10HP Honda) on a 1648 Alumnacraft. With two (hefty) guys and gear, I'm only seeing about 6, maybe 7 MPH in deep water. I think that the prop may be about shot. I've looked all over, but I can't find a size on it, only a phone number and manufacturer, Mud Motor Propellors.

Wed Jun 03, 2009 7:12 am
MMT Pro Member

Post Re: How do you measure prop size and pitch?
OK - my GoDevil 23 hp came with a 9x6 -or - 9 inches tip to tip wide with a 6 pitch. Pitch is the distance the prop would move forward in one revolution if there were no slip or loss.

I don't know what your 10 hp is capable of - but my 2009 23HP GDLT which is for sale @ 2400 - pushed my GDSD 16x48 6mph at idle and put a 2 man load with gear up to 19 mph and ran 23mph with a solo load.

I hate to sell her but I tore up my shoulder and am in rehab and have to swap to a surface drive model - even if they don't have the torque the longtail has - just don't have the strength to run it right now.

Wed Jun 03, 2009 7:46 am
MMT Pro Member

i had a 6.5 hp beavertail on a 14/36. i had about the same speed as you did. imo, not enough motor for a boat that size. i sold that motor and upgraded to a 20 hp gdlt, now i run about 16 mph loaded with gear. and a wore out prop. haven't had a chance to run it with the new prop.

just my 2 cents worth

Wed Jun 03, 2009 5:36 pm
MMT Pro Member

Yeah, that sounds like an awful small motor on such a large boat. I have a 16 HP on my 1436 and I think it drags ass! but empty, with 1 gorilla sized man driving it I've hit 20 MPH. but when you load it up with 2-3 guys, gear, decoys, guns, shells, random other shit it'll only go 10-12 MPH. but its a LOT better than walking!!

Gee

PS- how you measure the prop size is from one side of the prop to the other side. and I dont know how you measure pitch.. sorry.

Wed Jun 03, 2009 9:32 pm
Reply to topic   [ 4 posts ]