It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:43 am

Reply to topic  [ 15 posts ] 
 Long tail ID and parts help 
MMT Member

Post Long tail ID and parts help
hey everyone I recently bought what I was told to be a go devil long tail that had a blown motor and was being sold as just the frame but when I got it home and cleaned it up I found that there was no go devil serial number and that even though it uses many of the same parts as a true go devil I cant get parts through them without a serial number. So this leaves me with the question where do I go from here and should I try to get parts for this or go with a thai kit and scrap what im guessing is a home build. Heres some pictures. Please let me know if anyone recognizes any of the parts on it and knows where I can get new ones. currently its missing the shaft bushings and prop but the seal on the top bearing is shot and I wouldn't mind replacing both bearing sets.

Fri May 15, 2015 8:34 am
MMT 1000 Club

Post Re: Long tail ID and parts help
That looks an awful lot like a GD to me. If there's no serial number stamped on the engine mounting plate, someone did a hell of a job copying a GD.

6.5 Backwater SWOMP Lite / 1440 PolarKraft

Fri May 15, 2015 8:41 am
MMT 1000 Club

I agree with frank, looks like a godevil to me.. Only difference I can see is that the piece of flatbar that acts as the back bone of the shaft housing is usually twisted at the end where it meets engine housing on a godevil. This one looks like there is another piece of flat bar welded on top, and then welded to frame

Well they call me king turd up here on shit mountain, but if you want it you can have the crown.

Fri May 15, 2015 10:56 am
MMT 1000 Club

I saw that. Other than that one detail, that looks like a GD frame. Maybe someone just made a really good copy, but I wonder why they wouldn't have twisted that top flat bar brace. Maybe the frame was modified to accept a new motor?

Fri May 15, 2015 11:13 am
MMT Member

That's exactly why I bought it cause it was covered in grease and looked like a go devil so I assumed it was one but there's no number stamped on the frame. I sent some pics to go devil to see if they could help me out and they said that a lot of the parts on there were somehow there's but they weren't going to take my money to replace the parts because I don't have a serial number. Doesn't make much sense at all to me but they don't seem to need or want the business. I then called over to backwater and spoke to a gentlemen who said that he thought it was an early prototype made by a man who's name has slipped my mind and that if I can get the bearings out and send him some more pictures he'd be more than happy to help me. So far I have been very impressed with their customer service even though I have not spent a single dime on any of their products yet and disappointed that go devil is to proud to take my money.

The bottom bearing looks like it shouldn't be bad to get apart but I've never worked on a bearing/housing like the top one. Anyone know how it comes apart?

Fri May 15, 2015 4:28 pm
MMT Super Elite Member

If you get the bearings and seals out, just take em to your local bearing shop. They likely have what you need.

Or look on mcmastercarr

Fri May 15, 2015 4:32 pm
MMT 1000 Club

Backwater is good people.

Fri May 15, 2015 9:10 pm
MMT Member

Alright so I finally got the bushings and bearings apart and found a replacement for the top bearing. looks like its going to cast oroud $11 dollars for the top so its definitely worth replacing. the bottom seals I got off and it would have been okay but one of the guys helping me pull it off though it was pressed on and ended up taking a chunk out of the outer screw on portion that holds the seals in as can be seen in the pic below. Anyone know where I can get a new one of theses or the seals that go inside of it. Also do you think I could find just that broken piece and still use the original housing and does anyone know where a housing like this may have come from? I was told possibly a hydraulic assembly but im not sure. the bushing itself looks fine but the seals might need to be replaced.

Tue May 19, 2015 7:26 pm
MMT Pro Member

That bottom seal housing is defnitely a gd. Do you know anyone that owns a gd to order you one? That bushing looks pretty thin as well. Jmo

Tue May 19, 2015 8:35 pm
MMT Member

the guy I bought it from has a GD with a serial number but his is set up completely different. It looked like his was part of the tube instead of an external housing that was bolted on. if anyone on here has a GD that could get the part I could send them the money to order it but i don't know anyone with one local to me. Im in Ft myers Fl if anyone sees this and wouldn't mind ordering a bushing and cap.

Tue May 19, 2015 8:52 pm
MMT 1000 Club

Pretty sure evverything you need would match up to what I've got. I don't mind sendin you the serial number to mine. I'll run down to the shed in the mornin and get it for you. Then you can just call em up and order what you need and pay with your card.

Well they call me king turd up here on shit mountain, but if you want it you can have the crown.

Tue May 19, 2015 9:06 pm
MMT Member

thanks a bunch bud you've got a pm

Tue May 19, 2015 9:55 pm
MMT Pro Member

This is the only thing that gives me the redass about GD.

Wed May 27, 2015 8:47 pm
MMT 1000 Club

There are 9 different bottom bushings that GD uses. That's where their serial number comes in handy. If you're lucky it may be stamped and legible on the face of the bushing if it is a GD bushing. If not you'll have to cut the old one out and mic the shaft tube.

http://www.godevil.com/documents/Go-Dev ... Manual.pdf

Wed May 27, 2015 9:54 pm

https://www.google.com
<a href="https://www.google.com">google.com/</a>

Thu Jun 27, 2019 1:56 pm
Reply to topic   [ 15 posts ]