It is currently Tue May 28, 2024 8:34 pm

Reply to topic  [ 2 posts ] 
 Thai long tail with 65 inch shaft? 
MMT Member

Post Thai long tail with 65 inch shaft?
Hey everyone! First post here.
I built a Thai long tail a few years ago for a 1436 but the normal length shaft was just way to long for me so I eventually sold it even though it did run well with intentions to come up with something shorter.
This time I have a 1636 flat bottom that intend to run a 14hp predator or a 16 hp duromax with a long tail kit. I saw that the beaverdam mud runner kit has the option of a 65 inch shaft. This is closer to the length I would like to be at.

My question is how this setup would perform on my boat? Has anyone ran this length of shaft on a Thai long tail? Beaverdam state that they do not normally recommend the short shaft but I cannot understand why. I believe other brands such as backwater run a similar length shaft? Would a Beaverdamn kit with this shaft. It somewhat mimic the design of the backwater if I put a cav plate on and adjusted it for the steeper angle? Am I completely off in my thinking here? Will this setup perform poorly?

Now I want everyone to know that I am in no way trying to compare the Thai kit to a backwater kit as equals. Rather trying to come up with an option that is more financially viable for me at the moment. I understand that there is no comparison for quality between the two.

Also I know I will be told to watch for used mud motors. Trust me I have been looking intently and have not found anything that is within my price range in the size that I need.

Thanks in advance for any help what so ever

Tue Dec 20, 2016 8:03 pm
MMT Member

Post Re: Thai long tail with 65 inch shaft?
Mudskipper has surface drive kits for 8-16 hp engines starting at $849. Not much more financially viable than that and have way shorter shaft length. I might buy one myself, and just swap my tuned 420cc predator engine from my longtail to the Mudskipper SD kit. Take a look, you might like what you see.

Wed Jan 11, 2017 4:42 pm
Reply to topic   [ 2 posts ]