It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:46 pm

Reply to topic  [ 4 posts ] 
 Motor removal? 
MMT Pro Member

Post Motor removal?
Got a 1999 20 hp godevil that I'm rebuilding and need to remove from the frame. I have it all unbolted and free but the u joint won't budge on shaft or motor. Any tips and tricks to help me get this thing off?

Sun Jul 16, 2017 12:20 am
MMT Sponsor

Post Re: Motor removal?
The correct way is to use a big ass slide hammer that go devil sells as a service kit. It attaches to the threads where the prop screws on. A couple times before i had the right tools i would remove set screws and drill out the threads of the set screw down just deep enough to clean the burr off of the shaft or crank ,wichever is stuck.Then tap off with brass hammer. To reassemble i would drill and tap new holes for set screws.

Sun Jul 16, 2017 1:07 am
MMT Sponsor

Have you tried removing the small black metal collar that attaches to the upperbearing on frame with a small allen screw, then hitting prop with a big deadblow or rubber hammer?

Sun Jul 16, 2017 1:13 am
MMT F.E.

I used a couple of large cresents wrenches between upper bearing/bushing collar and universal,this will stop universal from moving toward the prop and should take up all the space. Put a large washer each side of a pipe collar and used prop nut on prop end to "pull it" off by tightening nut and lightly tapping universal. Used a very large screw driver to keep all of it from rotating. Once everything is in place and as much "slack" out upper shaft between universal and bearing/bushing collar it should start coming off, btw assuming that the set screws have been removed from universal.

Between Engine and universal the same cresents(to take up space) and a steering ball joint puller used carefully will remove it from the pto shaft. Good Luck and have patience, it all must be gently persuaded to come apart!!

Mon Jul 17, 2017 8:06 am
Reply to topic   [ 4 posts ]