It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 5:05 pm

Reply to topic  [ 4 posts ] 
 Buying used longtail. Advice 
MMT Member

Post Buying used longtail. Advice
I've been duck huntin my whole life and for the past 4 years I've hunted out of my boat. It's a 16ft. Deep and wide Lowe and my current motor is 2013 25 horse e-tech. Ive been in some sticky situations and decided it's time I buy a mud motor. I don't want to spend a butt load of money so I'm buying used THIS TIME. I'm going to look at a 27 horse longtail and I was wondering if any one had any advice, as far as what to look at, how many hours is too many, etc. the guy got the motor given to him so he doesn't know much about it. It's a Kohler motor and it's a Backwater. Don't know the year or anything yet. If you have some advice please share. And also any advice on the type and size motor that should push my boat pretty good loaded with gear would help. What's too small and what's too big.
THANKS!

Thu Aug 03, 2017 3:15 pm
MMT F.E.

Post Re: Buying used longtail. Advice
I ran a 16hp GDLT(no mods) on a 14x42 and a 16x44. it carried loads and generally all aroundwas better on the 16'. With 2 adults, dog, and hunting stuff, 15 mph was about it. But it was all I needed to get there and get back! Many a duck meet its maker because of that motor.
Backwater makes a very good LT. As long as you are putting it on a short transom(16") LT's are great. If all the parts are there and it runs. Seals and bearings can be replaced. Props are pretty much something you have to replace every so often(or get reworked). Know that in open water that E-tec will be faster.

Sat Aug 05, 2017 8:05 am
MMT Sponsor

A 27 BW is a solid motor. Of course it would be nice to run it before you buy it to verify its in good workin order but i know its not always possible. If someone gave the motor to the other guy it does raise a red flag. Definitely get a receipt

Sat Aug 05, 2017 9:40 am
MMT Pro Member

Get a compression test done. Also, not uncommon for those carbs to be screwed by stale gas and sometimes have to replace them. They won't clean even w ultrasonic
How's the prop?

Wed Aug 09, 2017 10:20 am
Reply to topic   [ 4 posts ]