It is currently Wed May 15, 2024 5:22 am

Reply to topic  [ 11 posts ] 
 Finally took prop off! DAMN 
MMT Member

Post Finally took prop off! DAMN
All I have to say about that is; couldn't they have come up with a better way to take the prop off. Why not have em slide off like regular outboard engines? Geez. Anyways, here's what I did (nearly injuring myself in the process, and if you don't cuss and swear, you will while doing a job like this). Step 1: I created a prop like tool out of a big heavy wrench and added a 4ft cheater to it. Step 2: Then i locked the shaft at the U-joint with another wrench and secured the LT motor so the shaft was still. Step 3: I tryed to crank that prop loose with everything I had by pushing that cheater pipe and it still wouldn't loosen. Step 4-11 : I tryed again and again and nothing. Step 12: Take a step back and let out some frustration, Son OF A****God****Mother****Piece of****. Step 13: Count to 10 slowly, and breath deeply, then come up with plan B (a beer might help with this). Step 14: A 5ft ladder, a tree nearby, and a 215lb person with legs is needed, but if you can't find a tree don't sweat it (If you can find a 350lb person it'll make this next step easier, but is not neccesary). Ok, so I got on top of the latter and started jumping on the cheater, and wham, the prop loosened a turn, with me nearly falling in the process due to not having a tree to hold onto. I continued doing this about 15 times till I was able to turn the prop with just the cheater. I finally got the prop off after 4hrs, and just stood there for a slight moment, shaking my head, saying Mother F**K**, slowly. Then I walked to my truck and kept shaking my head thinking, it better be easier to put this new one on, damn it! I hope this srategy helps you out someday. Good Luck!

Thu Jan 15, 2009 9:29 am
MMT 1000 Club

Post Re: Finally took prop off! DAMN
LMFAO

Now that was funny :lol:

Thu Jan 15, 2009 9:31 am
MMT Member

marine grade anti-seize is your freind! I can take mine off by hand now!

Thu Jan 15, 2009 4:22 pm
MMT Member

your right about being screwed on. They are a little stickey at times. Splined would be way easier to take off.

Sun Jan 18, 2009 10:09 am
MMT Member

It seems to me the problem is it gets stuck on the back nut/washer. What I do is loosen the locknut and take the center nut out-put the locknut and washer back on and start the motor. One good rev and prop spins to the locknut, take nut back off and spin prop off! However, it has to be the anti-seize cause the first time was a pita!

Sun Jan 18, 2009 10:39 am
MMT Member

Hear ya there on the PITA. Took me a 36" pipe wrench to get mine off the first time.

Sat Jan 24, 2009 8:19 am
MMT Pro Member

Do they not put anti-seize on them at the factory?

I think when I can finally afford me a MM I am going to take the prop off first thing and coat it with anti

Sat Jan 24, 2009 10:12 pm
MMT Member

Sun Jan 25, 2009 9:29 am
MMT Member

Finally took prop off! DAMN part II
Before I put the refurbished prop on, I cleaned all threads and added anti-seize. Then I took a deep breath anticipating what I was getting myself into. Next in amazment, the prop went back on with a push of a finger. This time I said God Daaaa** and since it was still early enough I went on to go try it out. I didn't even have to go after the cold one nor the cigs I bought when it was time for half time. :lol:

Mon Jan 26, 2009 8:28 am
MMT 1000 Club

That was some funny shizzle. But I feel your pain brother. I dread taken mine off now. 96 go devil with the original prop. Never been off, far as I know. Damn, not looking forward to it now! But I do have some tall ladders and several trees to jump from! LOL
Smoke

BPS Swamp Staff Member
Blackwater Marine LLC.

Quote classic by rangerp: "Red seemed to be enjoying herself, and I assume by the look on her face was about to hit the high-note and throw a locate as she treed the possum."

Wed Jan 28, 2009 8:58 am
MMT Member

they are a bitch to get off.....i have a 12ft steel pipe that works great for those, "i aint coming off the shaft" props

Fri Feb 06, 2009 11:11 pm
Reply to topic   [ 11 posts ]