It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:00 pm

Reply to topic  [ 3 posts ] 
 Longtail for dredeing purposes 

Post Longtail for dredeing purposes
Hello everyone. I am new to this forum and new owner of a Go-Devil Longtail 20 HP Briggs. It is an earlier model with less than 50 hours and has been sitting for about 15 or more years. The motor runs great except for gummy carb issues (currently putting a kit in it). The numbers I found on the mount plate are 6925 (serial#)? and ES16 18GFT (model #)?. I intend to use this motor on a 13' L x 66" W fiberglass boat. I live at the mouth of a tidal creek that dumps into a major river (Nassau River, Jacksonville, Fl). I am going to mount a "spud" system to anchor the boat as I prop-wash mud by swiveling back and forth out towards the big river on a moving tide. I have used this method before with a small outboard motor with good results except for the fact of sucking mud into the motor and risk running hot (which I have done on numerous occasions). Plus it is much more difficult to adjust the depth of the prop without an electric tilt control. With this motor I can raise and lower manually to achieve the optimum depth... which is just off the bottom. I have a couple of questions for anyone interested in a reply. First, is this going to trash this motor's bushings, seals, prop, etc. in a hurry? Second, any suggestions, tips on maintenance and setup? Any knowledge of this particular model? I have had many outboard motors but have never ran a Go-Devil in my life. I think this will be a viable solution to my never ending problem with mud settling in my creek and allowing the buildup of spartina grass. Thanks in advance to all replies and tips! I will post pics of my results in the future. Thanks again!

Fri Nov 09, 2018 10:11 pm
MMT 1000 Club

Post Re: Longtail for dredeing purposes
Sorry, no knowledge of the 20, I have had both an 18 Briggs and three Kohler 25's. My suggestions is that you should go ahead and get a spare prop, seals and bushings. GD can help you give them a call- running that way will definitely wear down the prop in short order- the sand and marl down here do that...if running salt make sure to wash down after use. I suggest you take off the prop a couple of times during the season and clean the threads and apply anti-seize grease to prevent severe binding.

Wed Nov 14, 2018 7:06 am
MMT Elite Member

Post Re: Longtail for dredeing purposes
Not going to hurt motor or frame - but will put a hurting on a prop....

I keep old worn out props handy for wallowing out my take-off spots in my shallow holes
and where I park the boat to keep from getting it hi centered as we hunt....

Try to find a cheap worn out prop - or buy a new one for after your "dredging" is done...

Instead of a spud - I sledge hammer 2x4s into the mud on each side of the boat - tie ropes
to 2x4s down low - use the ropes tied to the transom and let out a bit at a time as you prop
wash forward - then take up slack as you propwash backward and you have a working trench....

"It is good to have an end to journey toward; but
it is the journey that matters, in the end."

Wed Nov 14, 2018 9:51 am
Reply to topic   [ 3 posts ]