It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:31 am

Reply to topic  [ 10 posts ] 
 BOAT IDEAS PLEASE??? 
MMT Member

Post BOAT IDEAS PLEASE???
Well let me first say that I had a rude awakening during my last hunting trip. I quickly realized the limitations of an outboard on a v bottom hull and had to drag the boat with motor trimmed up for about 500 yards in and out of the spot I wanted to hunt, very frustrating! I really did want to get a mud motor and boat before this hunting season but I just couldn't make it work out, so it looks like I'll be shooting for next season. I already know that I don't want to spend 15k on a surface drive boat/motor combo, so with that said I'm really interested in a Swomp Lite 23. I have heard great things about them and I like the simplicity of a longtail motor. So the dilemma at hand is what boat to run one of these on. Yes, I know everyone runs them on a lightweight beater riveted jon boat. I have thought about it but the more I contemplate, the more I would like to have a true slick bottom welded boat to run the Swomp 23 on. I'm thinking around the 15' maybe 16' range. I already know this setup won't be a speed demon but willing to mod the engine a little if I have to. I really only hunt 2 people and just need to idle through shallow water so I don't have to get out and push. I've called a few of the fab shops and get quotes from 5k-6k for a bare hull. I thought this was a little steep honestly. Looking for some good recommendations on sub 5k hulls, 0.100" thickness minimum, 0.125" preferred. I do have plenty of time so I may be in the market for a used hull if the right one presents itself. Thanks guys.

Fri Nov 16, 2018 1:26 pm
MMT 1000 Club

Post Re: BOAT IDEAS PLEASE???
See The 15 x 36 Go Devil Duck Skiff Thread.

H Finn

18x54 Uncle J -GTR - with the koolaid
Back H2o SWOMP 23 SS stage 2 15x36 GD Duck Skiff GATOR
GATOR GLIDE PROSTAFF
BACKWATER PROSTAFF
http://www.gatorglide.com

Coupe rest in peace brother

Fri Nov 16, 2018 1:53 pm
MMT Member

Thanks Huck. I've read that thread a lot. I've probably read every thread on here about Swomp 23's or Swomp motors in general. Those duck skiff's are sweet little boats. I wish they were a little wider though. I'm looking for something in the 44" width range. I know godevil makes a 16'44". Seems like a viable options. Wish I could find a used one with no motor hanging on it. Also looked at the alweld mud hulls. I know they are 0.100" and have seen the post with the hole punched in the bottom. I probably wouldn't get that rowdy with it though. They seem kinda pricey and probably hard to come by. Any other ideas are much appreciated. Thanks again.

Fri Nov 16, 2018 2:25 pm
MMT 1000 Club

I’d get at least an 1844, maybe a 1944. That motor will run near the same on that hull as a 15 footer. Plus it’ll carry a load better and hold a surface drive better.

Evolution of a mudmotor owner is as follows:

I want a mudmotor but I’m short on cash. I’ll buy a long tail.

Works for a couple years but sucks to fish out of.

I Am getting a surface drive. I go faster and I have neutral, problem solved.

Works for a couple years but it’s loud and there is a lot of maintenance.

Now I’m an outboard guy and I keep a shit boat around with a shit long tail on it to hunt 3 times a year when I need it.

I am a prime example.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Fri Nov 16, 2018 7:17 pm
MMT Member

Haha, I totally understand the boat process. I have had many and they all have their flaws. Shortage of cash is not the problem. I already own a 60k fishing machine which I use the heck out of. Like you said though I don't get to hunt as much as I would like so I can't justify spending a lot on a bad ass surface drive boat. Not that I couldn't. I just want a low maintenance 2 person hunting boat that is easy to hide. I will definitely keep in mind the 1844 suggestion though. I hear the longer boats run better as you mentioned. Thanks for the advice and helping me see the bigger picture.

Fri Nov 16, 2018 9:55 pm
MMT 1000 Club

Sounds like you got it sorted out. I for sure wouldn’t go any shorter than 16’ though.

Good luck

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Fri Nov 16, 2018 11:26 pm
MMT Pro Member

Sounds like you need to invest in pirogue and rack for your big boat.

I ran a 24' blue wave in biloxi marsh last year to mothership pirogues, and killed PLENTY of ducks. There is also some really cool pirogues out there with small lightweight long tails (3-6 hp) on them that are still light enough to single handed pull it in and out of your mothership.

Go spend the day at hopedale marina and you will see some really cool "inventions" that people have come up with to get around the hp limits in biloxi marsh.

Sun Nov 18, 2018 11:36 am
MMT 1000 Club

If you go with a little pirogue with a little motor, checkout pintail pirogues. They are badass and you can mount a little
Motor on it

Sun Nov 18, 2018 2:01 pm
MMT 1000 Club

http://gatortraxboats.com/fleet/marsh-series/

I'd look at those (starting at $4,890 for a 14x50). 0.125 5086

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wgAV1YF6Uic

Mon Nov 19, 2018 6:55 pm
MMT Pro Member

Extreme metal fab build my 16x48 w/ huntdeck earlier this year. Had a 22hp service drive, now I have a 40hp BW longtail. I like the set up. The hull is .125 and they double the thickness on the transom.

If it's just me in the boat I hit 27 mph.

EMF was the most economical builder I found to build a good boat.

Uncle J has a black Friday sale going on.
Uncle J will be building my hybrid next year. Itll be 19.5x48 with a huntdeck and with highsides/cockpit like a sneakboat.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Thu Nov 22, 2018 11:30 am
Reply to topic   [ 10 posts ]