It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 2:21 am

Reply to topic  [ 8 posts ] 
 Backwater Kill switch alternative? 
MMT Pro Member

Post Backwater Kill switch alternative?
I have a backwater full-frame 26.5 long tail. Absolutely love the mud motor. The only issue I have is that I am constantly replacing the kill switch. The kill switch is mounted on the engine shroud and not on the handle. The engine is roughly three years old and I believe I am on the 4th kill switch. I don't feel like I can trust the one that backwater sells. I believe it's a "boaters island" brand kill switch. Anybody have any recommendation on another brand that would fit and may be more reliable or is this something I'm just going to have to live with? When not in use I do keep the motor covered. Thanks in advance for any help.

Thu Feb 21, 2019 8:52 am
MMT 1000 Club

Post Re: Backwater Kill switch alternative?
Go to Walmart or academy, go the the boating accessories wherever the Blige pumps are, buy that one. I think it's attwood. You've replaced a LOT of kill switches for a motor of that age. In the years since I started maintaining mudmotor for myself, father, friends, I've only had to replace 1, and that was due to it's destruction when the prop hit a root in the mud on a longtail and the handle flung into the grab handle. They go out, but not often.

#CFFITR
#TheGhostBoat
#whoneedsphysicsihaveamudmotor

Thu Feb 21, 2019 11:01 am
MMT 1000 Club

I'll add this:. Because a kill switch isn't that complicated, and they sell quite a few motors, I doubt it's the switch model/brand if they haven't started using a different one. I'd bet there's some sort of electrical gremlin going on that's fried them, or your hunting buddy keeps swapping a busted one out for the good one to fck with you.

#CFFITR
#TheGhostBoat
#whoneedsphysicsihaveamudmotor

Thu Feb 21, 2019 11:04 am
MMT 1000 Club

Hawilson, I also love my 26.5! What you running it on? When you find the replacement kill switch please let me know model# etc. I want to keep a backup!

Thu Feb 21, 2019 11:24 am
MMT Pro Member

I went back and checked my maintenance records and found I replaced the original after 2 1/2 years and one other just recently. So just 2. I did just pull the cord on that newer one I just installed and it did not kill the engine until I worked the switch back and forth. I appears ok now. As far as the brand goes, I ordered 2 of that brand last time I replaced it so I could have a spare. I just went out and checked the spade connectors on the spare and with the kill wire pulled there was no continuity between the spade terminals. Out of the box a brand new one did not work. Definetely switching to another brand.

Thu Feb 21, 2019 11:30 am
MMT Pro Member

Glades, I running it on a Gatortrax 16/44 (no huntdeck). With a 9x6 prop I running 21 with a fishing load. 19-20 with a hunting load solo. Very happy with the unit. My first longtail.

Thu Feb 21, 2019 11:33 am
MMT Member

I wish they’re put they kill switch out by the throttle, or offer a package to do it yourself

Fri Feb 22, 2019 6:09 am
MMT 1000 Club

Real good numbers! Some day I want to get a true flat- my 04 grizzly 1648 is around 400#; getting 19 mph by myself and hunt load- of course have the swomp 59" drive and the versa mount inboard to get the prop out of the whitewater. I bet that GT 1644 is heavier? I do get another 1 mph with the 9x6 but the 9x7 is a bit better in the veggies.

Fri Feb 22, 2019 7:41 am
Reply to topic   [ 8 posts ]