It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:10 pm

Reply to topic  [ 5 posts ] 
 Planning a longtail... 
MMT Member

Post Planning a longtail...
I've decided to build a budget mud boat. Doing research. Looking for a new Jon boat in the $2500 range. Only found 1 that I like in my price range... boat only.

It's an aluminum Lowe L1648MT Aura... Lowe's online price $2654. Trailer, another $900. Length 15'8", beam 70", approx. basic hull weight 275 lb, bottom width 48", hull guage 0.72", max HP 35, max weight capacity 1014, ribs 9, seats 2 (it has a large front fishing platform that doubles as front seat), side depth 21", transom 20". Pictures (a few) on the Lowe web site.

I'm planning on putting a large high transom kit SPS Swamp Runner long tail hooked to a stock Predator 670 on it.

I'm new to both Jon boats and long tails, so I'm hoping to get some honest opinions on my boat/drive choices. If they are crap, I wanna know. If you can improve on my choices without wallet rape, I.m all ears.

Tom in Wichita, KS

Tue Jun 04, 2019 4:43 pm
MMT Member

Post Re: Planning a longtail...
I just sold an old, 1981 lowe,14x48. My boat was different than the one your looking at, but I did have the medium SPS longtail with a 8 1/2” prop and a 15hp Lifan motor from Home Depot. That little motor/longtail got me out of places I never though I would get out of. Soft mud was no problem for it at all. It had never let me down. I had the 100” shaft due to the width of my boat. 2 people one ice chest a few rods, ran 15-17. 3 people 2 dozen decoys, grassed out, guns and stuff, lucky to get 10mph. It was the cheapest way to get on the water and out of the canoe we were fishing from.

Wed Jun 05, 2019 11:40 am
MMT 1000 Club

I had a 1440 ouchita with a 23 go devil that would push 2 of us 21 with the dog with the 6x9 prop. I was happy with that boat for hunting and it served me well. If you are on a budget, you can find decent hulls anywhere with trailers for cheap. Just make sure the bottom is in good shape and free of hooks and make sure the seller has papers, then you will be able to spend a bit more on your motor choice

Wed Jun 05, 2019 4:24 pm
MMT Member

Got some bad news from the Lowe boat dealer. Boat & trailer will be out of budget. Grrrr!.

Did some rethinking... a lot cheaper thinking. Gonna go a little smaller on the boat, and smaller on the motor.

Gonna go for a Lowe L1440M, 13HP Predator 420 cc, and medium SPS Swamp runner. From what guys have been saying, a combo like this will get me where I want to go...fairly dependably. I may not be able to carry quite as much, or get there quite as quickly, but I'll get there. And I know with this combo I'll be within budget. I know lots of guys who always seem to get unbelievable deals on some great used stuff, I'm the opposite. Every time I buy used I get stuck with somebodys problem they didnn't want. I gotta go new... with warranty.

I've spent the last two days on Youtube, reading on the motors, kits and boats. I just retired last Friday, so I've got the time. This project will get me back on the water and backwaters. Shore fishing
involves way too much carrying. You guys helped me. Thanks.

Wed Jun 05, 2019 9:07 pm
MMT 1000 Club

Sounds like you have already made your decision. Get it

Thu Jun 06, 2019 5:50 am
Reply to topic   [ 5 posts ]