It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:03 am

Reply to topic  [ 2 posts ] 
 New to me longtail 
MMT Member

Post New to me longtail
Purchased a homemade setup from a guy for couple hundred bucks. He said it runs but had a vibration issue that he couldn’t figure out. After disassembling the housing I found no evidence of a center bushing which I’m 99% sure that’s the vibration he was talking about. Unfortunately whoever originally built this setup used 1” black pipe threaded on both ends and milled out each end to accept a 1” bronze bushing. Only looks to be milled out 1/16” or so. I ordered 2 15/16od bushings and installed. Had to sand the bushings down quite a bit to get one inside the outer housing due to a seam that runs the whole length of the pipe. After lining everything up I welded a nut to the outer housing in hopes to pinch the new bushing in place and managed to split the bushing as soon as I tightened the set screw. Also when testing the setup without the center bushing the u joint howls sounds like its toast too. Or there’s an alignment problem somewhere. Debating on scraping the setup and just ordering a kit online. Any insight or opinions are appreciated.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Sat Oct 12, 2019 4:17 pm
MMT Pro Member

Post Re: New to me longtail
From what I see is the angle is a little much ( photo upside down ) or even a bent shaft. The center bushing might help.
I have a long tail 31 go devil and I hit a rock and bent the end where the prop is mounted and there were vibrations were very slight but there. Replaced shaft problem fixed.

Sun Apr 19, 2020 10:30 am
Reply to topic   [ 2 posts ]