It is currently Tue May 28, 2024 8:36 pm

Reply to topic  [ 10 posts ] 
 New to mmt !! Just built a mud motor ! 
MMT Member

Post New to mmt !! Just built a mud motor !
hey guys i just built my first mud motor i just got into duckhunting last year an i seen some off these bombin past me so i knew i had to build one and this is what i can up with tell me what u think and stuff i could inporve on or stuff thats gonna happen thanks006.JPG

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Mon May 03, 2010 11:47 pm
MMT 1000 Club

Post Re: New to mmt !! Just built a mud motor !
awesome, welcome to the site, tons of info here you just have to sort through the douchbaggetry at times.

what size boat you going to put this on, and what outdrive is it?

Tue May 04, 2010 12:14 am
MMT Sponsor

Welcome to MMT! Nice motor you have there. :mrgreen:

Owner
DEEP SOUTH CUSTOM BOATS (225) 252-2700

Good boats ain't cheap, Cheap boats ain't good!

Tue May 04, 2010 6:36 am
MMT 1000 Club

Welcome

Tue May 04, 2010 6:46 am
MMT Member

lol well belive it or not im putting this 10hp brigs on a 12ft jonny.. I wanna just try it for a bit and then buy a 14 ft jon boat

Tue May 04, 2010 8:28 am
MMT Member

I built one about tow years ago. One thing you might want to consider is turning all your mounting holes into slots. Makes it alot easier when you start mounting the motor and attaching the U joints. Looks great!!! What material did you use? Aluminium?

D

Wed May 05, 2010 8:04 pm
MMT Member

yea ur right i made the holes a lil bit bigger for that reason.lol now i wish i did cuz it would weigh next to nothing im going to school now for tig welding soo i might build a new one outta it witch will be sweeet..U have any problems with urs or anything ?

Thu May 06, 2010 10:18 am
MMT Addict

good job...looks nice...ur gonna have a lot of fun gettin the motor mounted...mine is homemade and it was a bitch! good luck!

Thu May 06, 2010 12:57 pm
MMT Member

I built mine from 1/8 alumnium for the most part. The cavitaion plate cracked on the edge of my welds. No big deal though I just ran another bead over the crack. It also cracked near one the braces below the motor, I think that was from hauling it. I had to lift it up to swing it into the boat with some force. I did the same as you and started out with holes, but I ened up getting the dremel tool out and turning them into slots. It made things alot easier to take apart and reassemble. I put a bushing seals at the prop end of the shaft, I replace this every year. The seals seem to break down and then the sand and muck get into the bushing and wop it out. I have a 7.5 hp Briggs that I put on a 12ft jon boat. It pushes me 180lbs two bags of decoys and other stuff about 10 to 11 mph.

Thu May 06, 2010 5:30 pm
MMT Member

lol wow sounds like u had some fun doing that..Yea i bought seals for mcmaster and they seam pretty nice i just waitting on the prop it should be here any day now and i just have a lil more welding and im done im pretty stoked to try this thing out all my freinds want one but i waz the only one who got the ball rolling and built one my self i got the plains for ebay mad motors or something like that it turned out nice an i think its gonna hold up good.. Thats pretty good ur getting 10 hp with all that stuff i got a 10 brigs for a 100 bucks it waz a steal..lucky i work at a welding shop so i pretty much got all the metal for free i just had to pay for the cold rolled pipe and the pipe that goes around the shaft other then that ive really havnts spents much money witch is awsome cuz they want 3 gs for the one im makeing go devil or beaver tail witch is b.s.. Would did u guys do for ur transome i got my made but i saw alot of ideas i just didnt knw ? :ugeek:

Fri May 07, 2010 3:12 pm
Reply to topic   [ 10 posts ]