It is currently Tue May 28, 2024 9:49 pm

Reply to topic  [ 4 posts ] 
 Recommend me a Boat! 

Post Recommend me a Boat!
Good Evening
I just picked up a GD Kohler Command 25. Now I just need to find the perfect boat. I'm hoping to use the boat for several day trips into the Flats for pike, and I'd estimate the load to be approximately 1000 lbs, including people, gear, gas, and beer, but not the motor. I'd hope to still be able to get up on step. Is this even feasible? What's the best size boat for this? Fortunately we've got an Alweld dealer in town, and they can make just about any dimensions we can throw at them.

Thanks for your assistance.

Fri May 07, 2010 11:38 pm
MMT Pro Member

Post Re: Recommend me a Boat!
I think if I were going to spend some serious time on the boat like you are I'd go with the nicest thing I could afford. I would say a 1844 or 1856 would be a good match for that motor. from what I understand long tails work best with long, skinny boats.. anywho. I think the big decision is if you want an all welded boat or a rivited. I know 99% of the guys on here love thier welded boats but for me, here in Utah, a rivited boat works like a charm for me becuase I dont have any logs, gators, rocks, and all that other crap the beats up on boat bottoms here. all I have is slippery, sloppy mud bottoms so a rivited works wonders for me both in the weight and the price of them. :) anywho. good luck with your decision. ;)

The Gee

Sat May 08, 2010 12:26 am
MMT Pro Member

I would think 20 ft plus x42 or 48 with the longtail.Theres a guy on here think he goes by Stualaska that has hauled big loads along ways in Alaska and believe he used to run like a 24x42 or 48.Pm him and I believe he can help ya.

Sat May 08, 2010 9:45 pm
MMT Pro Member

I just picked up a Geaux Taper chine 1844, and I'm running the exact same motor. I'm running about 21mph with no load...haven't tested it with the weight you're talking, but still at 18 or so with about 500lbs gear.

Tue May 25, 2010 3:44 pm
Reply to topic   [ 4 posts ]