It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:00 am

Reply to topic  [ 2 posts ] 
 Fuel tank cleaning 
MMT 1000 Club

Post Fuel tank cleaning
I'm thinking the worst possible senerio, but haven't actually looked yet. I haven't ran my boat in about 4-5 months. Yeah I know, but we recently moved, the kids with baseball and then my shop build. No time to get out on the water. I do however plan on changing all the fuel lines, filter, bulb from tank to carb. Going to pull carb and go through it as well as go through the entire engine (oil, lash, gaskets). But I have ran into this before. I had a tank sit up fo so long that the fuel smell would gag you it was so bad. Smelt like shit when it burned also. There was a white residue on the walls that was basically impossible to get out. The tank was 40 gal so we shit canned the tank and built another. That was then, and this is now. I do run high octane fuel due to compression, so my thinking is that it won't be that bad, but you never know. Worst case is I can dump fuel, fill the tank with some steel nuts or something, slosh it around (only 14 gal and lite) and hope that the shit will break away from the walls, then wash out. repeat till clean. Then again, it may just need a cleaning, dry, then roll out. What have you guys ran across when sitting for extended periods of time?

Thu Jun 22, 2017 7:39 am
MMT 1000 Club

Post Re: Fuel tank cleaning
Maybe I've just been lucky, but my boat has sat for 3 months or so, multiple times with no issues.

Another thing I can think of, is dump all the fuel out, and put some sea foam in the tank to slosh around in there. I bet it would clean up whatever residue/film may be in there.
I also run a whole bottle of sea foam every 5th fill up. Haven't had any carb issues for a while.

Thu Jun 22, 2017 5:00 pm
Reply to topic   [ 2 posts ]