It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:24 pm

Reply to topic  [ 9 posts ] 
 Aluminum Welding 
MMT Pro Member

Post Aluminum Welding
I just started getting into aluminum welding a little bit and been practicing when I can. I was wondering if anyone had some good experience aluminum welding so I could get some advice.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thu Aug 30, 2018 8:18 am
MMT 1000 Club

Post Aluminum Welding

Thu Aug 30, 2018 8:41 am
MMT 1000 Club

Post Re: Aluminum Welding
For starters, use 4043 wire. It is more "forgiving" and a bit easier to "lay down" a bead. It's not like steel. Due to the softness, you will have to increase your travel speed. I use an older Miller with spray transfer. The newer machines use a pulse set up which I believe is much better given the job at hand. The conductivity of aluminum is "way more" that steel. Will warp real easy and fast. When I welded the floor in my hull, I would skip around. Don't just sit there and make a weld the entire length of the hull or project your doing. I would weld about 5-6 inches. Skip 2 feet, weld 5-6 inches. Keep doing this until you make it all the way around. The weld should be "Luke warm". Continue process. oh, also 100% argon. Flow rate will be dependent on your machine. Keep about 1/2" of wire stick out to prevent burning up tips while just getting started. If you get it too tight like steel, the wire will burn back and stick to the tip, thus remove and throw away and put in another.

Thu Sep 27, 2018 3:31 am
MMT Pro Member

Any recommendations on a machine? Once I'm back from across the pond I'd like to pick one up so I can get some work done on my boat and trailer.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Sun Feb 03, 2019 8:00 am
MMT Super Elite Member

How much do you want to spend? Pulse machine is the way to go if you can afford it. I have a lincoln 180 and it gets the job done and isn't an extremely expensive setup with spoolgun. When I got mine, a lincoln setup was considerably less money than a comparable miller setup because miller made you buy some kind of extra box. The lincoln, you just had to buy the spoolgun, the machine was "ready" for it.

I also have a small eastwood machine that I use for steel. I like it. They have a very budget friendly setup with a spoolgun as well. One of my buddies bought a slightly bigger one to build a boat with and had a ton of issues though. He said their customer service was good, but it was still a pita. Think he had to have the machine replaced like 4 times while completing his rig. Guess what I'm getting at here, is if you plan to do a lot of big projects, get a good lincoln or miller rig. Just little handyman type jobs here and there, the eastwood may be worth checking out.

Get a 220v machine for sure.

Sent from my SM-T710 using Tapatalk

Sun Feb 03, 2019 11:23 am
MMT Pro Member

I've been eyeing any 180-210 from Lincoln, Miller, or Hobart. It would definitely get used and would be a completely warranted purchase but it's one of buys that I just keep pushing off until I find a good deal

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Sun Feb 03, 2019 12:39 pm
MMT Super Elite Member

I believe you can get the lincolns and hobarts that are ready to accept the spoolgun without any additional controller, so those would be a better value, imo. The millers you have to buy a controller in addition to the spoolgun so it's a lot more expensive. Want to say the lincoln setup was 7-800 cheaper for comparable sized machines when I was shopping several years back. Think you can even get the hobarts for a few dollars less than the lincolns.

Sun Feb 03, 2019 9:18 pm
MMT 1000 Club

Right cb, You want a machine that has its own spoolgun hookup or a dedicated machine for aluminum,. But it really depends on what you want to do.

This is the type of machine that I have. It allows for either short arc gun or spoolgun. Just turn on machine and grab a gun. No need for changing wires and shit. It also has indipendent gas ports for C25 for steel and 100% argon for aluminum. Now give it my machine I bought new was $1800 (including spoolgun) 19 years ago. Still welds fantastic like day one. They no longer make my model anymore and I believe it is now the MM212. But to weld aluminum, you definitely need a 220v machine. Don't even play around with a 110v machine just because it says it will weld aluminum.

Mon Feb 04, 2019 4:29 am
MMT Super Elite Member

Yea, I was looking in a different price range, so I guess I didn't even get up to the miller models that were spool gun ready. Want to say my setup was 1000-1200 with machine, spoolgun, and a nice helmet. I have a promig 180 and 100sg. I just remember the comparably priced/sized millers needed another expensive part.

It's definitely a hobbyist type machine, but it's been able to do everything I've asked of it.

Mon Feb 04, 2019 11:11 am
Reply to topic   [ 9 posts ]