It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:27 pm

Reply to topic  [ 28 posts ] 
 Times Have Changed! 
MMT Elite Member

Post Times Have Changed!
I am realizing I live in a completely different world from when I was younger.

I would never have imagined a time that I would not be able to find a friend with a boat that wanted to go deer hunting on either sex weekend in South LA.

Buddy of mine had to back out at last minute. I scrambled through my contacts asking practically everybody between Baton Rouge and New Orleans that had a boat if they wanted to follow me out here and go deer hunting.

And now, I sit alone at the camp!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Fri Nov 15, 2019 10:12 pm
MMT 1000 Club

Post Re: Times Have Changed!
Pm me and I’ll be more than happy to come hunt sometime with you bro

Fri Nov 15, 2019 10:33 pm
MMT Elite Member

How about right now....so I’m not forced to take the airboat to a stand in the morning? One I don’t want to hunt...route to stands I would rather hunt go past neighbor’s lease and their stands. Don’t want to screw them up. I’m 6 miles west of Lafitte or about 15 miles east of Larose via the ICW. I can give you a pin drop.

Fri Nov 15, 2019 11:03 pm
MMT Elite Member

Most importantly...I simply would rather not use the airboat except to go get dead animals out of the marsh! LOL...

Those things are more headache than a mudmotor! Belts breaking, hoses busting, radiators blowing....just to name a few mishaps. Not to mention...that 454 and Holley 4 barrel suck down some 93 octane!

Fri Nov 15, 2019 11:08 pm
MMT 1000 Club

I'd love to be there blue!

Momma and I like to have a few nice things, though, so work is calling!

Sat Nov 16, 2019 6:16 am
MMT Elite Member

I totally get that! I was fortunate enough to get a kitchen pass this weekend with all the remodeling we been doing at our house!

Wish you coulda been able to get away. And, I appreciate the offer of the boat! LOL

Sat Nov 16, 2019 7:03 am
MMT 1000 Club

Man it was bad timing. Lol. I would have gladly gone there but at the last minute messed up. Already committed to helping at the high school baseball field. To my luck, you'll probably slam a big one this morn.

Sat Nov 16, 2019 9:10 am
MMT Elite Member

Yeah...calling people up last minute was kinda the culprit.

Sat Nov 16, 2019 10:49 am
MMT Elite Member

Post Times Have Changed!
So far, it’s probably best nobody came...hunted two stands, today and skunked both outings.

Time to watch some Tigas!

Sat Nov 16, 2019 6:27 pm
MMT Elite Member

Glad none of you guys came with me....I would have hunted a different stand this morning.

But, nobody to help me clean these things!

Sun Nov 17, 2019 7:44 am
MMT Pro Member

Glad to see you got some meat. I'll give a call when I'm back in.

18x54 40 GDSD FNR

Sun Nov 17, 2019 10:28 am
Profile WWW
MMT 1000 Club

Mon Nov 18, 2019 4:26 am
MMT Elite Member

Post Times Have Changed!
Thanks, Stephen. The buck was actually unintended consequences....plan was to let him walk. Doe got a little spooked and started running off. Had to make a quick shot while she was walking across one of the shooting lanes...didn’t hear the bullet hit her so, thought I missed her. Meantime, buck just stood around. Glassed down the lane for a solid ten minutes trying to see anything that looked like a dead deer. Scoured the cattails trying to catch a glimpse of her moving through. Buck finally decides to roll up the middle shooting lane. Cuts through where the doe had passed and steps out into the next lane where the doe was last seen. He’s broadside and standing still. Fire off textbook shot and heard the bullet hit him. Now, I don’t see him anywhere. So now, I’m questioning myself...did the scope lose zero? First time hunting with this rifle and this caliber, first time using this brand of ammo and bullet type...all these questions eating at me.

Waited about an hour before I got down. Tried to get there on foot so I didn’t have to fire up the airboat. That wasn’t happening! Walked back to the boat and scooted on down the shooting lane. Came up on the buck...dead in his tracks. Stand on the rake and there’s the doe, 15 feet in front of me on the other side of the lane.....dead where she was when I shot.

So, safe to say, .308 in 150 gr Winchester Ballistic Silvertip is extremely lethal!

Look close in the photo, doe in foreground, buck in the background in front left of airboat (right side of frame) with AR-10 laying on him.

Mon Nov 18, 2019 10:58 am
MMT Sponsor

gatorheads@comcast.net

Mon Nov 18, 2019 2:01 pm
Profile WWW
MMT 1000 Club

Mon Nov 18, 2019 4:05 pm
MMT Elite Member

Catch up, Frog....Chevy power is where it’s at! LOL Kinda just like owning a GTR surface drive, though. Always working on them, got to run 93 octane for all the performance work and no reverse. Yes, the PD been gone for about a year, now.....and, I’m still waiting on my bay boat to get built!

Bryce - I have been a die hard Remington Core-Lokt fan for every caliber hunting rifle I own. I ended up with this AR-10 earlier this year on the EXTREME cheap....and bought a BUNCH of ammo at half price.....different brands, different weights...The least amount was 3 boxes of the Silvertips. So, went with them first.

Before I got out of the stand, I was cussing the gun, the bullets, the scope, the scope mount....ready to sell all of it after those two shots....because I couldn’t see dead deer in the shooting lane....but, they were there....I’m pretty confident neither knew what hit them and simply folded where they stood. Both shots were spot on target....maybe a little high....I’m on at 200 yards. So, should be about 1.8” high...shots were a long 100 yards...probably less than 110. Both had ground meat for lungs. My only complaint about these bullets so far...I think they were too “explosive.” ....if that makes any sense. It looks like these things fragged on impact. Even the bottom of the spines had damage....and the entry wounds were just slightly high of chest cavity center mass...shooting from 20’ up! Doe had an exit wound in back of opposite shoulder....it wasn’t any bigger than the entry wound....but, the top half of that shoulder was a bloody mess. No exit wound on the buck....two broken ribs on entry, same wrecked opposite shoulder. But, no hole in the hide....no bullet remnants to be found. Really strange stuff. All my life I’ve been of the school of thought that you want your bullet to mushroom, stay intact and deliver the knockout punch. I think all these did was deliver the knockout. Glad they did!

To anybody else using the Winchester Ballistic Silvertips....what has been your experiences with them?

Sent from the ISS using Tapatalk.

Mon Nov 18, 2019 7:34 pm
MMT Elite Member

The AR-10...24” Bull Barrel...heavier than all getup...Nikon ProStaff P3 4x12 with Burris PEPR mount.

Mon Nov 18, 2019 7:41 pm
MMT 1000 Club

Very nice kills my bro

Mon Nov 18, 2019 8:20 pm
MMT Sponsor

gatorheads@comcast.net

Tue Nov 19, 2019 7:20 am
Profile WWW
MMT Elite Member

Absolutely.....but, for the record...it’s a modern sporting rifle chambered in a .308 Win.

Just have them google what AR stands for.....most will say without even attempting to fact check that it is “Assault Rifle.” Then, you can give them a lesson on the Armalite Corporation and AR is the acronym for Armalite Rifle.....similar to BPS in the firearms world is Browning Pump Shotgun...BLR, BAR...and so on.

Then, ask them if they know what model rifle the military uses...and if AR comes out of their mouth, throat punch them and say, “Wrong, again!”

LOL

Tue Nov 19, 2019 11:22 am
MMT Elite Member

I will admit, though...if I’m being honest...I don’t consider the .223 or 5.56 mm...pick your poison...to be the best choice for deer. Sure, you can shoot a 68 grain soft point and kill a deer...but, would not be my go-to round of choice. Diameter wise, .243 is about as small of a diameter I am shooting for deer...preferably in 100 grain....but, have put the smack down on numerous deer with the 80 grain Core-Lokt.

There are so many more different cartridges available in an AR platform that are better options than the .5.56/.223.

Tue Nov 19, 2019 11:33 am
MMT Sponsor

gatorheads@comcast.net

Wed Nov 20, 2019 3:35 pm
Profile WWW
MMT Member

Love silver tips in my .243. I know people that don't have any luck with them in their guns accuracy wise, but mine is spot on. I shoot em in the neck, which eliminates the internal carnage. DRT every time though.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Wed Nov 20, 2019 4:39 pm
MMT Elite Member

Accuracy is def not a problem for me with these. Death was obviously not an issue...I don’t think either of these animals even flinched after hitting the ground. I’m confident both were dead before they hit the ground. There was no evidence of head and feet flailing about...no blood spread about...they were simply KTFO! (In my best Chris Tucker voice)

I’m going to do work on some hog control with them and see how that goes. If I shoot another deer with this weapon, def gonna be a neck shot.

Wed Nov 20, 2019 5:05 pm
MMT 1000 Club

223 and 556 is best for combat rounds because they were designed to cause massive injury. The rounds tumble and once they hit a bone, they travel the length of the bone. The science behind it is that it costs more for
Opposing forces to give medical aid to wounded subjects than to burry people. The 223 and 556 was designed for people, not for animals. For animals i would opt for 243, 7mm, etc, but I hunt hogs and deer with a marlin 44 mag repeater that I got from my dad from my grandpa that drops animals like you hit them with a brick lol

Wed Nov 20, 2019 9:34 pm
MMT Sponsor

gatorheads@comcast.net

Thu Nov 21, 2019 7:26 am
Profile WWW
MMT 1000 Club

I love my 44 bro. I’ve killed numerous hogs and deer with it over the years and I have never once had to track an animal lol

Thu Nov 21, 2019 8:52 am
MMT Elite Member

Well, the Winchester Ballistic Silvertips did not disappoint with the hogs. It was like a dang shooting gallery out there with hogs running across the shooting lane! 3 of them in the scope. Roughly 120-125 yard shots.

Fri Dec 27, 2019 11:14 am
Reply to topic   [ 28 posts ]