It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 4:20 pm

Reply to topic  [ 5 posts ] 
 Torque Wrench 
MMT Pro Member

Post Torque Wrench
What are yalls recommendations for torque wrench brands to work on these motors. I've always done the tool rental from the auto store but broke off 2 bolts last time because the thing wasn't calibrated. I have a 23hp so my max torque is 165 in-lbs (cylinder heads).

I have craftsman tools but have read their quality has gone down the drain since they moved mfg to china.

Thu May 07, 2020 3:14 pm
MMT 1000 Club

Post Re: Torque Wrench
I've used the cheap one from advance (it's what is in my boat tool box right now), and expensive snap on a buddy that works on gas compressors had at the house. Never broken a bolt, and will c and marcus can attest to how many times I've pulled apart these engines. Not nearly as much as them, but my engine and those I've worked on (save for a couple starter created issues) have held up fine. If i was buying right now, I'd buy a quality one, but can say for these things that the el cheapo is good enough unless you make a living off your wrenches.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Thu May 07, 2020 6:47 pm
MMT Super Elite Member

Can't imagine one being so far off that you'd break bolts because of it. Using a ft lb wrench for in lb specs? Sounds like an id 10-t error.

Sent from my SM-T710 using Tapatalk

Thu May 07, 2020 11:54 pm
MMT Pro Member

Post Torque Wrench
Maybe not all the wrenches fault, I did reuse the head bolts and the intake bolts. Broke one of each. In hind sight I should have stopped when I was already a quarter turn past the other bolts that had already clicked. Also should have learned after the first one lol. I was using the correct wrench in-lbs and working In a star pattern.

Bought new head and intake bolts for the next go around but at $90 for the set. Guess that is still worth it if it keeps me from extracting broken bolts.

The rental wrench didn’t have a calibration paper in the box so that’s why I say the wrench. Never know what the last guy did to the thing. Figured I’d buy something quality now to last a lifetime.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Fri May 08, 2020 5:26 am
MMT 1000 Club

I use this one for large bolts (lug nuts, prop nut, etc.)

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00C5ZL1NS/ref=emc_b_5_t

I have a 3/8" drive for smaller bolts. I also have another 1/2" drive withe the old needle but almost never use it.

Fri May 08, 2020 7:54 am
Reply to topic   [ 5 posts ]