It is currently Wed May 15, 2024 6:42 am

Reply to topic  [ 10 posts ] 
 Just to spark interest; to think "outside the booK" 
MMT Super Elite Member

Post Just to spark interest; to think "outside the booK"
I'm a Catholic and I guess a christian, too, (I don't like either label though) but I believe everyone should be able to speak freely about their disagreements with me and my beliefs.

It seems "Conservative Christians"...and I know I am painting a wide brush here....tend to resort to extreme hyperbole when talking about their beliefs, as though they are almost trying to convince themselves over and over again, of their own beliefs, instead of convincing others to believe. It just makes them seem silly and hurts their credibility, though well intentioned they may be. When one says to me "the bible tells me so" I just shake my head and wait for the barrage of quotes and scripture references but little substantive argument. Hyperbole most often appears during the evolution vs creationism argument. It is possible that the foundation for everything we know on earth and in the universe was created in "one day" but it did not start in the forms we see today. Anyone who says otherwise is, well, not being honest with himself. The bible has long been discredited as a literal resource for the study of science and evolution. Anyone who does not know this has just not studied it enough. It does not mean one cannot learn valuable life lessons from the stories in it.

I like the idea of heaven but nothing can prove or disprove it exists or what it is.

I believe that many strongly religious people are trapped in a loop of belief vs logic. Its almost like to "think outside the book" is to be a non believer. I just don't get it, I guess.

Mais what ya'll tink 'bout dat, like dat?

“Wisdom is not just expertise. It is knowing how much of various areas of expertise you need to know in order to make the decisions that the world needs and that you want to do,” Columbia University President Lee Bollinger.

Wed Jun 13, 2012 12:02 pm
Profile WWW
MMT Sponsor

I choose my beliefs based on faith. That is all. I personally don't need anything to 'prove' whether it's right or wrong, I flat out believe because that is how faith works (to me).

Wed Jun 13, 2012 12:10 pm
Profile WWW
MMT Super Elite Member

Post Re: Just to spark interest; to think "outside the booK"
Distant Human Ancestor Had Shark Head
LiveScience.comBy Stephanie Pappas, LiveScience Senior Writer | LiveScience.com – 4 hrs ago

Peer far enough back in the human family lineage, and you'll find a fishy ancestor that looked surprisingly like a shark.

In fact, this now-extinct fish was among the first to split from sharks, whose bones are made of cartilage, to evolve into a line of tough-boned species that includes everything from bony fish to human beings. A new analysis finds that this controversial class of animals was more shark-like than expected.

We were all sharks at one time.

“Wisdom is not just expertise. It is knowing how much of various areas of expertise you need to know in order to make the decisions that the world needs and that you want to do,” Columbia University President Lee Bollinger.

Wed Jun 13, 2012 4:04 pm
Profile WWW
MMT Super Elite Member

^ :lol:

Wed Jun 13, 2012 4:08 pm
MMT Elite Member

Shark

Wed Jun 13, 2012 8:12 pm
MMT 1000 Club

all lawyers are sharks.

Wed Jun 13, 2012 8:31 pm
MMT 1000 Club

I agree with you mr Guidry.

Wed Jun 13, 2012 8:38 pm
MMT Addict

Post Re: Just to spark interest; to think

Wed Jun 13, 2012 11:30 pm
MMT Pro Member

If everyone put God first their neighbors second and yourself last people would happier.

Thu Jun 14, 2012 12:30 am
Profile YIM
MMT Elite Member

Mon Jun 25, 2012 8:59 pm
Reply to topic   [ 10 posts ]