It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 6:12 am

Reply to topic  [ 24 posts ] 
 Tithing 
MMT 1000 Club

Post Tithing
Ok, so how many here do it? And I mean really do it. Not just sometimes but I mean 10% of everything you take in.

Thu Jul 26, 2012 12:23 pm
MMT Pro Member

Post Re: Tithing
Yep......sure do...........
and give offereings above that when the wife and I feel the tug

Thu Jul 26, 2012 12:42 pm
MMT 1000 Club

Why?

(for the record I do too however my goal is to open up a good discussion topic)

Fri Jul 27, 2012 12:44 pm
MMT Pro Member

I do. Before I got married I just paid 10 after taxes but my wife fixed that. I was sort of upset at first but now I'm much happier that's the way we do it. The First 10% is what is required. Then extra for odds and ends. i am guilty of not paying on side jobs that I get.

Fri Jul 27, 2012 7:26 pm
MMT 1000 Club

Again, why? Because it says to? Because we always have?

Sat Jul 28, 2012 5:39 am
MMT Pro Member

Sat Jul 28, 2012 3:47 pm
MMT 1000 Club

So here's what I'm getting at. One word, discernment. We as Christians pick and choose what we follow. It's not hypocritical, its following our own paths with God.

I find it very interesting why so many are adamant bout tithing but don't follow many other commands. Again it comes down to discernment.

Brad you bring up a good point that it is Gods to begin with. It's all his. So by that thought process we should give everything we have to the church in an extreme form. Our bodies are his too but how many people follow the command that followers should not tattoo themselves or not put any markings on their bodies? We accept that as ok in today's society but most do not feel its not ok to forsake your tithes. Their are many examples such as this.

Thoughts?

Sat Jul 28, 2012 4:14 pm
MMT Elite Member

Tithing is one of my favorite subjects. If you go back and look through the thread I started on favorite scriptures, you will see what I am talking about.

God is not asking us to be discerning. Some people may pick and choose. But utlimately, it is the choices we make in life that will or will not lead us to Heaven.

God does not ask us to give to extremes and give everything he has provided back to Him. Only the "first fruits of all your crops." And yes, you can and should tithe in areas other than money. Your time...volunteering your time. Your knowledge...share what you know. Your possessions...have some old furniture, clothing, items no longer using? Give them away to somebody that needs it. Ask your Pastor to find somebody in need...Chances are, he will already know the answer. These are all ways that you give back to God what he has given to you.

And finally...just because society accepts certain behaviors and practices does not mean I, as a Christian, accept those behaviors and practices. I certainly do not condone many things "mainstream society" has so graciously welcomed. Same sex marriage, tattoos, recreational drug use....what other pictures are being painted on television these days? Ultimately, when Jesus calls people's names to come stand with him on the right side...I don't want to be one told go over to the left side.

How coincidental is that thought? Right vs. Left?

Back on point....read the book "RICH Toward GOD" by Dr. Kregg Hood. Not a big book. All of 94 pages. Quick reading...but very educational on the subject of tithing.

Sun Jul 29, 2012 7:58 am
MMT 1000 Club

I would recommend the book blue parakeet. We all pick and choose what we follow and don't follow whether the mainstream society has anything ta do with er not. Trimming your beard fer example is breaking a command. I don't know but maybe one guy that has never cut their beard. Now, it's been wisely stated that being a Christian isn't sinning less but reflecting more of Jesus as we are all sinful by nature. Having said that though, I find it very interesting that so many place such a high standard on tithing but fall short of many other commands that are seen today as null and void. How many women call their husbands lord? I could go on with plenty of commands that are not followed but directly said no different than tithes. I am just fascinated that so many hold that particular one in such high reverence.

There is a book written on a man that attempted ta follow every command given in the bible. I will look it up when I get home from my trip but in short he failed. It is not possible. The book I mentioned, blue parakeet, describes this on detail.

BTW: love the reference ta the right/left!

Sun Jul 29, 2012 10:22 am
MMT 1000 Club

Tithing is just one thing Christ asks of us . If you feel more convicted about tithing for example than something else maybe god is putting that on your hart for a reason. We should always pray and ask for help especially when we feel convicted about something .

Sun Jul 29, 2012 10:49 am
MMT Elite Member

I'll admit, I have been avoiding this one...just a little...especially with all the other Old Testament stuff thrown in getting us off topic. Good thing is, it really got me to reading up more on things!

Here are things I discovered and am sharing for everybody's "edification" regarding the things Podcast referenced above...like trimming the beards and such:

First off...the obvious...God gave Moses the Ten Commandments...I think we all heard or read those at one time or another in our lives...so no need to rehash them...or you can just go look them up. Those were "the" Commandments.

The things Podcast is referring to come from the Book of Leviticus in the Old Testament. These were "laws" or "covenants" which God gave to Moses so he could "tune his people up" so to speak.

Everything below is cut and pasted text:

Purpose of Writing: Because the Israelites had been held captive in Egypt for 400 years, the concept of God had been distorted by the polytheistic, pagan Egyptians. The purpose of Leviticus is to provide instruction and laws to guide a sinful, yet redeemed people in their relationship with a holy God. There is an emphasis in Leviticus on the need for personal holiness in response to a holy God. Sin must be atoned for through the offering of proper sacrifices (chapters 8-10). Other topics covered in the book are diets (clean and unclean foods), childbirth, and diseases which are carefully regulated (chapters 11-15). Chapter 16 describes the Day of Atonement when an annual sacrifice is made for the cumulative sin of the people. Furthermore, the people of God are to be circumspect in their personal, moral, and social living, in contrast to the then-current practices of the heathen roundabout them (chapters 17-22).

Foreshadowings: Much of the ritualistic practices of worship picture in many ways the person and work of our Savior, the Lord Jesus Christ. Hebrews 10 tells us that the Mosaic Law is “only a shadow of the good things that are coming” by which is meant that the daily sacrifices offered by the priests for the sin of the people were a representation of the ultimate Sacrifice—Jesus Christ, whose sacrifice would be once for all time for those who would believe in Him. The holiness imparted temporarily by the Law would one day be replaced by the absolute attainment of holiness when Christians exchanged their sin for the righteousness of Christ (2 Corinthians 5:21).

Practical Application: God takes His holiness very seriously, and so should we. The trend in the postmodern church is to create God in our own image, giving Him the attributes we would like Him to have instead of the ones His Word describes. God’s utter holiness, His transcendent splendor, and His “unapproachable light” (1 Timothy 6:16) are foreign concepts to many Christians. We are called to walk in the Light and to put away the darkness in our lives so that we may be pleasing in His sight. A holy God cannot tolerate blatant, unashamed sin in His people and His holiness requires Him to punish it. We dare not be flippant in our attitudes toward sin or God’s loathing of it, nor should we make light of it in any way.

Praise the Lord that because of Jesus' death on our behalf, we no longer have to offer animal sacrifices. Leviticus is all about substitution. The death of the animals was a substitute penalty for those who have sinned. In the same way, but infinitely better, the sacrifice of Jesus on the cross was the substitute for our sins. Now we can stand before a God of utter holiness without fear because He sees in us the righteousness of Christ.

Fri Aug 10, 2012 7:36 pm
MMT Pro Member

I tithe. Everything I get I give 10% and sometimes more. God has blessed me beyond what I deserve.

The short and simple answer of why is..........

Id rather life off the 90% than the 10% he gives me. :D

Sun Sep 02, 2012 12:23 pm
MMT Pro Member

so.......should one consider not tithing a sin?

I tithe because of the above mentioned "test"............I mean really? God says "test" Him?
God says I will give back to you "pressed down and shaken" .......

I know that what I have is there only for the good grace of God, there is no way I am worthy of the blessings I have been given.
I am convicted in my belief that we must honor what we have been given, before God will give us more and thus the cycle continues. It's God's plan to redistribute wealth so to speak.

We must seek to understand the "rythms" of God's grace........
I have been in some tought secular spots where I there were no "seen" ways out..........divorce.......fired twice........but .....we tithe and we give.

My walk WITH God only started actively about ten years ago......before, I was a "good guy" mainly, but life was never in rythm of God's grace.

Pressing in convicted me in tithing and now I see the results of God's "test" in very bigs ways.

Mon Sep 10, 2012 8:18 pm
MMT Elite Member

Tue Sep 11, 2012 5:22 pm
MMT Pro Member

I am 30 and tithe out of obedience and conviction because i know what is expected of me from the Father. I have learned in the past that 100% of my check is never enough to get by but 90% is always enough to go above and beyond my needs and i feel i am blessed for doing it .

Tue Sep 18, 2012 6:01 pm
MMT 1000 Club

Wed Sep 19, 2012 6:38 am
MMT Sponsor

Tue Sep 25, 2012 8:46 pm
Profile WWW
MMT Member

Podcast, I tithe my first ten percent for a couple reasons: 1.) because God tells me to and who am I to disobey the very one whom gave His life for my eternal salvation and 2,) because of what the bible tells me in Malachi. He says if u don't it's stealing from Him and if you do He will bless you beyond measure! Test me He said!! Anyway here is the verse. Just my two cents on tithing according to the word of God. "Begin by being honest. Do honest people rob God? But you rob me day after day. "You ask, 'How have we robbed you?' "The tithe and the offering—that's how! And now you're under a curse —the whole lot of you—because you're robbing me. Bring your full tithe to the Temple treasury so there will be ample provisions in my Temple. Test me in this and see if I don't open up heaven itself to you and pour out blessings beyond your wildest dreams. For my part, I will defend you against marauders, protect your wheat fields and vegetable gardens against plunderers." The Message of God-of-the-Angel-Armies. (Malachi 3:8-11 MSG)

Tue Dec 11, 2012 11:12 am
MMT Member

They way I look at it is he gives me 100% of my check, I take great joy in giving 10% back to him. I would also add that when times have been hard I pray about it and something always happens to get my family through it. Everytime I need him the most he has always been there.

Fri Aug 23, 2013 8:26 am
MMT 1000 Club

God has really opened the floodgates of blessings on my life since I became obedient and started tithing. Like Blushamu said, its the only area in the bible that God says test me in this...

Fri Aug 23, 2013 9:58 am
Profile WWW
MMT Pro Member

There are many problems about sacrifice within this thread. This lack of biblical understanding is why Christianity is deteriorating in America. Please don't read books, read your Bible. BlueShamu answered the question, and it should have convicted every person reading in The Spirit. You cannot do anything apart from Jesus. If you try to explain old testament law without Jesus you really didn't understand why the old testament was written. I urge you to read the entire book of Leviticus, directly followed by the book of Hebrews. The Hebrews lived under the Levitical law, so they were written to explain why they couldn't keep the law. The answer was, is, and always will be, Jesus.

Fri Aug 23, 2013 11:17 am
MMT 1000 Club

Totally forgot bout this thread y'all. My wife is adamant about it. Her and I are worship leaders at our church. Thinkin back, I never noticed a difference in my life from tithing er not other than missin the 10%. That's what got me askin this question.

Fri Aug 23, 2013 3:03 pm
MMT Elite Member

The thing is, you might notice it if you were not tithing. :D

But, truthfully, if you are looking for money to be put back in your pocket, you are tithing for the wrong reason. God said to Malachi, "I will open the windows of heaven for you. I will pour out a blessing so great you won't have enough room to take it in!"

He didn't say, I will pour money out of the windows of heaven. His blessing is your reward for your obedience. It may be in the form of any number of things. Something as simple as your health. You are happily married. You have a job. You have a roof over your head. Your car hasn't broken down. Your kids are healthy and making good grades. Maybe, when you do or did need money for an unforeseen circumstance...somehow, an extra windfall came your way through some other channel. The "blessing" is certainly not a monetary return on your tithe. Think of it in that light and then question whether or not you have noticed a difference.

Fri Aug 23, 2013 4:19 pm
MMT 1000 Club

Post Tithing
I get that. But in comparing the times when I didn't tithe ta the times I did. There weren't any differences in blessing versus one er the other nor in money. I do understand that's its not just money that comes as blessings. Also, being equally fair, I didn't have harder times over the course of those two time periods. I do not lack faith that's fer certain but I've always struggled with the exact verses being recited here particularly the "test me" verse as I have and not noticed differences in either.

Fri Aug 23, 2013 4:24 pm
Reply to topic   [ 24 posts ]