It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:32 pm

Reply to topic  [ 7 posts ] 
 JD Murphree 
MMT Member

Post JD Murphree
My buddies and I have been selected for the alligator hunt at JD Murphree. We have a 16" jon boat with a 25 outboards. My questions is what all do I need to bring to hunt.

We can use bows and I have one bow that is 65lb and one is 45lb. What is the best reel, line, arrow, and float setup? Can I use my sights and QAD arrow rest or do I need to completely change it?

For the hook and line what would be the best setup and bait. We will be given cane poles, but what will I secure the line to. Do I need stakes or are there trees to tie off on. Do I tie 300lb rope to a leader or tie the rope directly to the hook? What hooks do I need?

Does hook and line mean I can use a fishing pole and weighted treble hook to snag one as well? I have my shark rig with 80 lb test. Will that be enough? Would my surf rods with 45lb braid work too or will the 10 ft pole be to long and get in the way?

Also, shotgun is the only means of dispatching the gator. Will a 410 with the disc load be enough or do I need to bring the 12 with slugs. It states non-toxic is preferred but not prohibited.

I know that's a lot of questions but this is our first time gator hunting so any advice or tips would be greatly appreciated.

Thu Aug 03, 2017 8:51 am
MMT 1000 Club

Post Re: JD Murphree
The biologist should be contacting you. They will let you know the details.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Thu Aug 03, 2017 12:37 pm
Profile WWW
MMT Pro Member

The gf & I were selected as well. Which dates will you be there?

Tue Aug 08, 2017 10:22 am
MMT Member

Sept 13-14

Tue Aug 08, 2017 3:25 pm
MMT 1000 Club

You will have a meeting the day before you go set lines. They will let you know all you need to know. It's a blast! Was drawn and went 5-6 years ago.

Wed Aug 09, 2017 6:51 am
Profile WWW
MMT Pro Member

Had someone ask similar questions on another site I visit. If you plan to shoot it with you bow here is some advice...

- use and arrow with detachable head. 100 grain muzzy.Your line will tie to the head instead of a slide on the arrow
- use 400# fast flite line with an oversized bottle and use as much line as possible
- You need a roller style bowfishing rest - not the QAD
- You must have a float - thinking it needs to be 8"
- don't use a heavy fishing arrow - use a standard bowfishing arrow, it will penetrate
- have follow up arrows ready
- get ready for a long shot and aim for the rib cage

Again, this is all input from fellas who have done this before. Not my personal experience.

Wed Aug 09, 2017 10:48 am
MMT Pro Member

We will be there Sept. 18-19, so try to save us a couple!

I'd really like to shoot one with my bow, but I'm sure that will be a little difficult to do during daylight hours. We'll prolly set 1 line for her and then try to see if I can get close enough with my bow. If that doesn't pan out I'll set out another line that evening. We're pretty stoked about it !

Wed Aug 09, 2017 11:41 am
Reply to topic   [ 7 posts ]