It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:33 am

Reply to topic  [ 8 posts ] 
 rifle stocks 
MMT 1000 Club

Post rifle stocks
Picked up a another Remington 700 bdl stainless with the tupperware stock for a very good price. Jeweled bolt, sporter barrel, but this stock sucks. I have seen a few modifications that can be done to strengthen the forend and butt. I was going to fill the butt with silicon to get rid of the "hollow" sound and was going to dremel out and install a 1/4" piece of SS tubing down the barrel channel and epoxy it in to give it some rigidity to help free float the barrel.

Have any of you ever done anything like this? I don't want to spend $300 or so on a stock if I don't have to. I ended up putting an HS precision on my other .308, but its a bull barrel and will drive tacks. But its heavy to be doing alot of walking in the woods and swamp. This SS sporter barrel is much lighter but the stock sucks. I have also been on ebay looking for another "takeoff" bell and carlson or HS, but it seems that they are all for heavy barrel. I do plan on putting the SS sporter in my current HS precision to see how goofy it would look with the big gap all the way around before I will consider one. It will definitely be free floated, but may look stupid. Just haven't had time to do the swap.

1) So has anyone modded their current plastic stock?
2) does anyone have a sporter barrel in a heavy / varmit barrel channel stock?

Wed Jun 06, 2018 8:28 am
MMT Pro Member

Post Re: rifle stocks

Sun Jun 10, 2018 9:14 am
MMT 1000 Club

You could bed the whole barrel channel on the big barrel channel on a eBay take-off, then paint the bedding where it's visible so it matched the rest of the stock. Wouldn't look so goofy.

#CFFITR
#TheGhostBoat
#whoneedsphysicsihaveamudmotor

Sun Jun 10, 2018 10:48 am
MMT 1000 Club

I've looked at both. I saw that Stockys has the accublock. Last night I actually took my AAC-SD .308 thats in a HS precision and installed my sporter in it. It didn't look that bad, but the gap is big enough that debris and shit could get under there. The AAC-SD bull barrel drives tack, but it does get a lil heavy when making some long walks on a few places I hunt. Thus I'm trying to do something with this SS sporter. Now I did see that they make a carbon fiber barrel for the 700 for about $650-$700. I'm also considering this route. This could replace my AAC-SD for rigidity but also be a light as my sporter.

Russ I ready on snipers hide forum that some guys have taken foam sheets. There about 1/4" thick and very soft, but also very durable. They bed the action with this and it seals the large gaps to prevent debris, but its also soft enough that it doesn't effect barrel harmonics.

Mon Jun 11, 2018 4:19 am
MMT Elite Member

Most sporters wont be shooting more than 200 yards, so no need to get fancy with the "badass" stock or free-floating the barrel for a stalking gun. But if you must, Bed the action and recoil lug, then dremel out the barrel channel to let it float under the barrel. Most of them stocks are cheap anyways so I'd try it on the stock one first to make sure you like how that gun shoots before going crazy.
My Browning Abolt .270 is factory free floated. Its a good hunting gun, for tack driving.... Hard to say with the sporter barrel.... They don't take heat well so the first 2-3 shorts are good but heat up fast.

Mon Jun 11, 2018 5:12 am
MMT 1000 Club

Mon Jun 11, 2018 12:05 pm
MMT 1000 Club

Post rifle stocks
There is absolutely zero need to waste your life away fucking with something like that when you can drop your barreled action in a Greyboe, which is reasonably priced and about 6.3x better and nicer than a piece of shit HS Precision

Wed Jun 20, 2018 8:48 pm
MMT 1000 Club

never heard of them. I'll have to check them out.

Mon Jun 25, 2018 9:04 am
Reply to topic   [ 8 posts ]