It is currently Sat Jun 08, 2024 6:57 pm

Reply to topic  [ 14 posts ] 
 Retiring old dog 
MMT Elite Member

Post Retiring old dog
My old boy is really starting to have some bad hip issues now. I have had him on to antiiflamitory steroids the past 2 seasons with little to no training during the year. He still has it down pat and his desire has never left him. But his body just doesnt want to cooperate very well any longer. I have really just put it out of my mind as much as possible but reality is staring me in the face. I just can't stand it though. I'm torn between extending his life out longer by having him just lay up in comfort around the house or do I take him with me and let him do what it is that he loves to do most. If I dont take him with me he lays at the front door and whines until I get home. He seems happiest sitting on stand in a cypress brake waiting with anticipation for the next retrieve. One of the hardest decissions I have had to contemplate for a long time. I trulely believe if he gave up the ghost on a hunt he would be one happy dog. I know it would be much easier on me than having to one day put him down when he can no longer get out of his bed and stand up.... :cry:

"I do think there is a Squatch in these woods"!!!!!

Thu Aug 12, 2010 4:47 pm
MMT F.E.

Post Re: Retiring old dog
Thats a very tough decision.

My motor doesn't have docking assistance, it has REVERSE!

Thu Aug 12, 2010 4:56 pm
Profile WWW
MMT Addict

I feel for you. Read a story in a dog magazine that said pointers and those kind of bird dogs retire themselves but labs never want to stop. I am pretty sure mine will never give up.

Thu Aug 12, 2010 5:16 pm
MMT 1000 Club

When it comes to a situation like this I always think.. How would I want to go. Probably curled up on the couch. Get you another dog and let him lay up. Take him on a few duck hunts that will be easy on his old bones.

What is best in life?

To crush your enemies, to see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentations of their women.

Thu Aug 12, 2010 7:12 pm
MMT Member

When it comes to a situation like this I always think.. How would I want to go. Probably curled up on the couch. Get you another dog and let him lay up. Take him on a few duck hunts that will be easy on his old bones

X2!

Thu Aug 12, 2010 7:37 pm
MMT Pro Member

Take him with you whenever you can and let him do what he loves, i'd rather be in the woods then layed up in a bed. just my 02

Thu Aug 12, 2010 7:51 pm
MMT 1000 Club

I wouldnt take him in the water. If my old dog started to drown, I'd drown myself trying to get to him... even if it was his time.

What is best in life?

To crush your enemies, to see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentations of their women.

Thu Aug 12, 2010 7:57 pm
MMT Pro Member

Take him on the "easy hunts" no long walk-ins or tough terrain like floating laydowns that he will have to navigate up and over. If sitting on a stand isn't painful for him... take him with. There is a reason why you see all the silver haired geriatric people in the pools. Easier and less painful on the joints than running across flooded fields.

Fri Aug 13, 2010 11:08 am
MMT 1000 Club

My uncle has a vet friend and they took their dog out hunting. Let him work and do his thing and euthanized him in the blind. No hard cold tables and he went doing what he loves. It pains me to think one day will be my dog's time but when it is and he can no longer do what he loves and his suffering Im letting him go this way.

Fri Aug 13, 2010 11:23 am
MMT Pro Member

I had this come up a few years ago. Vet told me that as long as I was hunting "deep" water and stay away from sucking mud flats he'd be fine. He also recommeded I only worked him in the water and not on dry land. I was lucky enough to get another season of great memories with him.

Bo gave up the ghost before I had to make any decisions, that was probably the greatest thing he ever did for me.

Fri Aug 13, 2010 4:07 pm
MMT Elite Member

Most of the holes I hunt are water retrieves and pretty clear of any debris unless it gets out the hole. Not any bad mud here and mostly hard bottoms.

Fri Aug 13, 2010 5:07 pm
MMT Pro Member

Let him hunt as long as he is physically able, it will keep him young at heart. Then let him be a couch potato. X2 on the swimming water, it will be easier on the old man. Be aware on those real cold mornings like we had last year, they can be brutal on old joints.

Fri Aug 13, 2010 9:34 pm
MMT Elite Member

Yeh, I left him home on the coldest days last year.

Fri Aug 13, 2010 10:12 pm
MMT 1000 Club

Talking about dogs drowning... mine almost did this morning. She was about 50 yards into the the lake and I guess got a cramp. I went in after her, she was under the water when I got to her. Scared the crap out of me.

What is best in life?

Sun Aug 15, 2010 4:45 pm
Reply to topic   [ 14 posts ]